Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My latest/earliest Gerber...Mr. Pinchy!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
My latest/earliest Gerber...Mr. Pinchy!
on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:01 AM
OK, I did it.  I made a trade for a tool that I have absolutely no intention of carrying and putting to work. :facepalm:  I've taken a real liking to Gerber multis since I've been a member, and had 7 of them until #8 showed up today, courtesy of inkster.  The granddaddy of the slidey-head Gerbers:

This is pretty cool to me, seeing the evolution of these tools.  The plier head flicks out easily like the Mp400/450/600, and is a nice size.  The tool itself is roughly the same size as my MP450, and with a similiar tool loadout:

One thing that surprised me is that there is no locking mechanism on this tool.  Does anyone know when Gerber started with locking tools?  :think:

Overall I think it's a neat piece and a nice addition to my collection.  And for the record, I did try it out a bit at the store today.  It got me twice, on the palm and thumb. >:(  And that was with trying to avoid getting pinched!  If anyone has more information about this tool, such as when it was introduced or what model it is, I would appreciate it.  :salute:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My latest/earliest Gerber...Mr. Pinchy!
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:15 AM
AFAIK the first one to lock was called the "Multi-Lock" and was, for all intent and purpose, the MP600.

Patent can be seen here, with a date of 18th July 2000.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:48:36 AM
These threads may interest you mate  :think:

Differances in early Gerber MT's
Gerber 1992 info

Your Gerber collection is coming along nicely  :tu: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:02 AM
Everyone needs a Pinchy Gerber in their collection!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:44 AM
Nice addition to your growing Gerber collection!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:02:15 PM
One thing I love about the old Pinchy handled Gerbers is that while they may pinch your hands, and while they may not have more modern features that we are used to (no OH blades, no locking implements etc) they are built like tanks.  These are some of the most solidly put together tools I've ever seen. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:14 PM
The old non-locker that passed through my hands not long ago was certainly robust. It felt like a proper tool that should live all it's life in a tool box never mind a pocket or sheath. The awl was incredible too. After a couple of swearing at it and wanting to throw it through the nearest window though, it had to go

:waving:

If only Gerber could replicate that feeling of durability and strength in their modern designs. I know they've made improvements of late, but they're not there yet

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:40 PM
@ Mat - Thanks for the links, from Bob's pics this one looks to be the final generation of the non-locking models.  :tu:

@50-ft - My MP450 and MP600s sure don't feel flimsy compared to this one.  What don't you like about the newer models, Al? :think:  I've used the crap out of my 450 and I've never thought, "this could be sturdier".
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:16 AM
@ Mat - Thanks for the links, from Bob's pics this one looks to be the final generation of the non-locking models.  :tu:

@50-ft - My MP450 and MP600s sure don't feel flimsy compared to this one.  What don't you like about the newer models, Al? :think:  I've used the crap out of my 450 and I've never thought, "this could be sturdier".

Don't get me wrong Tom, I've been carrying my 400 for the last few days too and I don't have any fears that it'll spontaneously disintegrate ... but somehow the old guy felt even stronger. Cant put my finger on why to be honest. Certainly other models such as the Flik don't give that same feeling of confidence IMO.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:00 AM
Gotcha.  :tu:  I haven't actually used the old one, just played with it and got pinched.  :P  I might take it to work in the next couple of days and give it a workout.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%