Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are some common - rare SAKs to look for in a local knife store?

volbu · 12 · 1828

gr Offline volbu

Hello I live in a small city in central Greece and I always knew a neighboorhood store that did knife sharpening and selling etc.

I just came back from outside (the shop was closed) and saw at the window shop some Victorinox SAKs. There were some alox solos (silver) and some classic red one camo etc.

I ll go tommorow and look for old soldiers some farmer, harvester colored or not (maybe its a long shot I know)

Since I dont know much about which are the rare Victorinox SAKs and I would like you to tell me which are some rare or simply discontinued models or colors that are possible to be available after some years on the shelf ??

Maybe its too much of a rookie question but I d love to have some rare cool Vics!!  :gimme:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:46:33 PM by volbu »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hi Volbu,

There is a very large number of collectible Victorinox. Some very general suggestions of things to keep an eye out for:

- Any 84mm knife with a scissors.

- Any knife with checkered red alox handles.

- Anything with unusual handles such as stag, pearl, horn.

You might also try to pick up a current Victorinox catalog. If the knife isn't in there it's probably been discontinued.

Good hunting!

Karl

gr Offline volbu

Thanks for the fast reply :)

nice suggestions !
checkered red alox meaning the "line pattern" not like square patten in current farmer for example?
like here?
http://www.vicfan.com/2011/03/victorinox-red-alox-cadet-ii/

....would so love a cadet II :P

PS: How much is a good price for an old soldier say 07 - 08 (I suspect i will find something like that and since I got my 98 old soldier wondering if its worth going for another :S )
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:35:30 AM by volbu »

us Offline Sazabi

Don't forget the lovely Blue Alox anything, or silver alox with marlin spikes. :D

gr Offline volbu

Blue alox will be real luck :P
The bad thing is I get my hopes up :P :P
Anyway I think finding a knife on a store is real great feeling :D hope I m lucky tomorrow!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Oh and 91mm with the long thin nail file on the back, also the flat Phillips screwdriver with a file :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gr Offline volbu

hehe :)
I think i got cranked up but so did u :P
I ll have my eyes open! I hope my expectations are realistic :P :P

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Not super rare, but IMHO always super cool, any with a golden shield.

Also look for five turn corkscrews.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Thanks for the fast reply :)

nice suggestions !
checkered red alox meaning the "line pattern" not like square patten in current farmer for example?
like here?
http://www.vicfan.com/2011/03/victorinox-red-alox-cadet-ii/

....would so love a cadet II :P

PS: How much is a good price for an old soldier say 07 - 08 (I suspect i will find something like that and since I got my 98 old soldier wondering if its worth going for another :S )

The old straight line alox handles are valuable, both silver and red. The checkered pattern is the current style. There are a few current red alox knives, but most were discontinued in the 90's. Just take it easy when you're starting out and don't spend large amounts of money until you really know what you're doing. Even then don't go overboard; most SAKs are mass produced in the thousands.

Have fun,

Karl

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
don´t forget the 108mm range  :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

gr Offline volbu

Update!

I manages to find 3-4 small shops selling vic SAKs.
Sadly no great findings, the best was 3 old soldiers NIB (I unboxed one of them and it was 08 stamped) for 24 euro, is it a good price?

my only hesitation is that I already got a 98 soldier and dont want to be spending more on another soldier (although I love it) so I thought maybe try and find some other colored alox model farmer or pioneer.

Also something I regret is that the store had a rectangle shelf like Victorinox branded with lots of pictured knives ( each knife was behind its picture), so I went straight for the soldiers :P
I then thought that maybe I should examine all of the boxes names :P since no alox models besides the soldier were pictured but maybe something good was hiding in that shelf :P Do you think there is any chance?

I think I ll go back and look some more if i dont find anything I guess I ll grab an extra soldier 08 or maybe 07 !

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:58:33 PM by volbu »

us Offline Frankctz

Very good info, I also will keep my eyes open...and have a good hunt,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56