Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not happy with Victorinox

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:30 PM
Not happy with the BO first mate. Their black oxide on this tool is weak. They must not be made to actually use. I think that it is actually not even hot black oxide. It sucks either way. Now I can't say for BO Swiss tools but this one sucks big time. I'll probably take it apart and mod it now. :twak: shame on you Vic just shame :p
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Not happy with Victorinox
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:43:36 PM
That I did not like reading.

I thought they would use the same coating on all of there tool's.

I got black Spirit and it's been great the finish has held up very well to my abuse.

:(
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:16:45 PM
Have Jeff cerakote it Steve.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:30 AM
Have Jeff cerakote it Steve.

Sent from Ash forum mobile
Yeah it's probably going there along with lots of other goodies :drool:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:37 AM
I can't imagine why black oxide is so trendy on multi-tools. On a combat knife, I could imagine how it would be useful. One wants to remain unseen in the jungle when one is sneaking around, Ranger-style.

But a multi-tool?

We're going to look back on this little phase in 20 years and have a good laugh.

Black oxide is for cheap drill bits, to keep them from rusting.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:45 AM
No I beleive Black Oxide is very effective in the office.  If I was to open up nice shiny steel in the office I'd get lots of looks and maybe even get some trouble.  Black is much less noticed.  Mosty people over estimate the size of the shiny silver blades if they are not familair with them.

us Offline Gimmeabreak

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:39:54 AM
Useful or not, it looks SWEET matched to a bright pair of Alox scales.

Too bad it's not up to the challenge of actual use.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:51 PM
No I beleive Black Oxide is very effective in the office.  If I was to open up nice shiny steel in the office I'd get lots of looks and maybe even get some trouble.  Black is much less noticed.  Mosty people over estimate the size of the shiny silver blades if they are not familair with them.

I feel bad for you, if you work in an office where people panic if you open the blade of a multi-tool. Especially a pliers-based one.

At some point, our coworkers will just have to cope with the fact that we're not breaking any laws and that we're an advanced tool-using society. :)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
I use my SAKS and MTs in the office all the time.  People know to ask to open packages etc now instead of trying to bite them open (savages...).  The only problem is if they ask to see the SAK or MT 50% of them have never handled a tool before and promptly cut themselves.  I need to remember to keep my pocket first aid kit handy for the poor knife challenged out there.  I'll be sure to loot their houses first when the zombie apocalypse comes.  lol.

I had one BO SAK that I promptly sold.  Hated the feel of it.  It was good to have one briefly though as I then knew I never wanted another, and that stainless shiny blades were the way to go.  Black oxide on stainless is never going to look as 'black' as it does on a lower end steel.  Ironic really that they try to BO good quality stainless, when a lower quality steel would take the black better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:35:56 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
I can't imagine why black oxide is so trendy on multi-tools. On a combat knife, I could imagine how it would be useful. One wants to remain unseen in the jungle when one is sneaking around, Ranger-style.

But a multi-tool?

We're going to look back on this little phase in 20 years and have a good laugh.

Black oxide is for cheap drill bits, to keep them from rusting.

Black Oxide sticks out great when dropped in the snow.

I've also found using a black tool in public draws way less attention than a shiny SS one does.

And it looKs great I love my black tool's :)
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:02:56 PM
Somebody someday is going to skip all this black oxide and Cerakote nonsense and go straight for the DLC (diamond like carbon) PVD coating. Any coating that can triple the life of a high speed steel milling bit has got to be tops. It's pretty big in the watch industry and is making it's way into body jewelry for it's inert properties. Absolutely impervious to the elements for salt water or that vat of sulfuric acid you may drop your SAK into. All that's needed is somebody that wants to send off several dozen SAKs worth of tools to make it cost effective. Maybe all us modders should pool our parts to get a run done?

My most coveted item of all times, black PVD Rolex Submariner.

http://everyguyed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Bamford-and-Sons-10th-anniversary-custom-rolex-Submariner-PVD.jpg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:10:01 PM by bushidomosquito »
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:31 AM
DLC huh? I had a pocket clip with that on it and it's tough just don't get it around locktite it will eat through the coating :ahh:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:19:14 AM
Somebody someday is going to skip all this black oxide and Cerakote nonsense and go straight for the DLC (diamond like carbon) PVD coating. Any coating that can triple the life of a high speed steel milling bit has got to be tops. It's pretty big in the watch industry and is making it's way into body jewelry for it's inert properties. Absolutely impervious to the elements for salt water or that vat of sulfuric acid you may drop your SAK into. All that's needed is somebody that wants to send off several dozen SAKs worth of tools to make it cost effective. Maybe all us modders should pool our parts to get a run done?

My most coveted item of all times, black PVD Rolex Submariner.

http://everyguyed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Bamford-and-Sons-10th-anniversary-custom-rolex-Submariner-PVD.jpg
Well there are those nice handles on the Spirit Road Tour edition... get one while you can.  ...and Wenger just released 3 knives with PVD coated tools, liners and springs.  I'm hoping they do one more with scissors.

ps... I like my PVD Traser, although that Sub does look really good, you just can't beat Tritum in a watch.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 06:30:09 AM
I just found the Wenger Blackout and it is awesome but for $70 I could have several knives worth of Vic tools coated. While searching though I did run across a more than suitable substitute for the $10,000 black Rolex, the Victorinox Infantry Vintage Mechanical.

http://perpetuelle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/D449_InfVintage_pvd-1-620x522.jpg

For a mere $1800, oh yes black Vic Mech, someday you will be mine.  :drool:
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:43 AM
I just found the Wenger Blackout and it is awesome but for $70 I could have several knives worth of Vic tools coated. While searching though I did run across a more than suitable substitute for the $10,000 black Rolex, the Victorinox Infantry Vintage Mechanical.

http://perpetuelle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/D449_InfVintage_pvd-1-620x522.jpg

For a mere $1800, oh yes black Vic Mech, someday you will be mine.  :drool:
While that is a great looking Vic Watch, I like the 2012 Black Alpnach MUCH better. It could do with a nice bracelet though.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:57 PM
Well an update. It seems this knife will be disassembled and modded. I am keeping the marlin spike. I like it!  It will all be black cerakoted minus the curved blade. Add in a black inline Phillips and a black mag glass and it should be the perfect Edc knife for me. It will be shear enjoyment to have a totally blacked out knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%