Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats your SAK for, and which one is it?

RDog · 26 · 3762

Offline RDog

Whats your SAK for, and which one is it?
on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:53 AM
What I am asking is, is your SAK your only EDC?  Is it just a backup knife to something larger? 

Is it a "pocket knife" which plays second fiddle to a fixed blade in the field?

As an example, if doing anything in the woods besides a short little walk, I typically carry a Mora knife, and likely some sort of med-lg folding knife...could be an Opinel, Douk Douk, a Svord, or Rat 1, and my old SAK tinker get tossed into the pocket as well.  Most cutting chores go to the fixed blade or single bladed folder..."odd jobs" fall on the SAK.

General urban outings usually mean either one of the above mentioned folders + the SAK or just the single bladed folder alone.  Sometimes I'll just take the Tinker, but often fear its not enough blade.

So, what do you use most, and how do you use it? 

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Re: Whats your SAK for, and which one is it?
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:02:42 AM
For EDC i use most of the time a Craftsman or a SwissChamp.
But when i want to repair something or to do some serious job,
i always use my Swisstool plus. :multi:
When i receive some package and i need to open it, i always use
a old Waiter, that i have in the kitchen drawer for cutting tapes,
strings, paracords e.t.c.
If i go for a walk to the near mountain, outside my city, i carry with me a Nomad.
But i am thinking of buying the new orange HUNTER XT. :drool:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:08:22 AM by MARIOS7319 »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:19 AM
I typically carry my Compact in my pocket, and it goes into my Skinth SP on the strap of my EDC bag when I'm out and about.  I often carry my CyberTool Lite on my belt instead; in that case, I just leave the Compact with my EDC bag.

In general though, a large SAK does 99% of the tasks I encounter on a daily basis, and I only carry a pliers based MT at times when I'm pretty sure I might need a 'real' pair of pliers.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline k12cop

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:38:30 AM
My SAKS are my only knife for edc...
Alox soldier on duty, tinker off duty, camper in the woods, and always have classic on keyring...waiting for a mod which will allow for one sak only carry on duty or off woods or town...will also eliminate needing to carry separate pen and light (with photon freedom micro clipped to split ring).
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ie Offline qwotchi

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:35 AM

Mostly, I have my SwissChamp or Huntsman in my "auld lad bag" (aka satchel) and my yella Classic in my "watch pocket" or similar.
My Champ and Huntsman have been used for the usual mundane tasks, I've also used the Classic for trimming my nails and lending to the kind midwife who used my "pocket knife" to crack open the seal on the laughin gas canister that helped my beloved deliver our son more comfortably.

us Offline getahl

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:41 AM
I like slipjoints. Case, Buck, and GEC being particular favorites. I have a red jigged bone Henckels pen knife that I'm loving the bejebus out of right now. But I also have my dinged up, old sapphire Classic on my keychain, or in my pocket, always. It doesnt play second fiddle to the Henckels, but complements it. The scissors, SD tip, blade, and toothpick all see frequent use, making the Classic an indispensable part of my EDC. If one of my traditionals isn't on me, I will make it a point to have my SAK; I seldom need a blade larger than two inches.

us Offline TweezersAndAToothpick

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:02:39 AM
I usually carry at least 2 SAK's, my Classic always on my keychain for the scissors, tweezers, and toothpick and a different one in my pocket (alternates between Tinker and Farmer, sometimes Hiker), but they are supplementary to a OHO folder of some sort. My job is kind of fast paced so sometimes I need to just pluck a knife out of my pocket with my one free hand, flick it open, make the cut, and close it up and pocket it again. My OHO lately has been rotating between a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 555, an Ontario Rat 1, and a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 when I'm going light. The SAK in my pocket is for odd jobs or when I am in front of sensitive people and don't want to whip out a Rat 1 to cut open a bag of chips.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:59 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding which one to carry so I usually switch them around a few times each week.

Right now I'm carrying the Compact because it's.. well.. compact. Other days I bring the Climber which I love even though it's a tad thicker.

Then there's the new Forester that's just too nice to leave collecting dust.. and then they's the Handyman that I usually throw in a side pocket of a bag.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:50 PM
For me, I've found that the mid-size ones are the ones I the least of, and carry the least.  Four layers is about the thickest I can comfortably carry in a cargo pocket.  But, that's pushing it, so I usually pocket carry a thinner one, or go to a bigger one and belt carry it. 

Until I tore it apart for the parts to mod one of my Compacts, my Explorer was my only mid-size SAK.  Everything else I have that isn't a 111 mm is either two or three layers, or six or more, like my CT34, CT41, CT Lite, or my old Swiss Champ.  If I'm going to have to belt carry it, I don't see the point in a mid-size SAK like a Ranger, Craftsman, etc. unless I'm going to be assigning it to a specific place to live and be used, like in a small survival kit or the like.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:41:17 PM
A Vic Harvester is usually my main blade when I venture out in the world. (I live in a city.) The other blade is a pocket straight razor, not a bigger one.

us Offline Grateful

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:14 PM
 I have been carrying a sak everyday for several years. I often add a large slip-joint or more recently one of a few Spyderco's I have managed to acquire. For about the last month or so that sak has been a Swisschamp.
 The sak does most of my edc cutting chores and could really handle them all. I often carry a second knife because I like knives. Truth is I could get by with just a sak.
Jim

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:54 PM

The sak does most of my edc cutting chores and could really handle them all. I often carry a second knife because I like knives. Truth is I could get by with just a sak.
Jim

+1  :tu:  I always have a SAK on me, along with other knives.  A usual loadout is a larger OHO folder and a SAK.  Lately the Evo16 has become my favorite carry Swiss.  The SAK gets used for the scissors, T&T, drivers, as a light pry tool  ::) , and to cut something around customers or others who I don't feel the need to scare the crap out of with a larger Buck, Kershaw, or the like.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 03:24:41 AM

Jim

+1  :tu:  I always have a SAK on me, along with other knives.  A usual loadout is a larger OHO folder and a SAK.  Lately the Evo16 has become my favorite carry Swiss.  The SAK gets used for the scissors, T&T, drivers, as a light pry tool  ::) , and to cut something around customers or others who I don't feel the need to scare the crap out of with a larger Buck, Kershaw, or the like.
Same for me.  My current EDC is my new black Compact and my Endura 4.  I don't really need to carry the Endura, I just like it a lot and it's such a nice knife, it's a pleasure just to have it handy to play with.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:34:38 AM
My primary multi-function tool is my Victorinox Cybertool 34.
It is my first choice for cutting clamshell packaging or normal packages, for a screwdriver, for a pry tool, for a nut driver (installing stand-offs on case to mount motherboard on) and for a variety of other normal tasks.

My secondary multi-function tool is my SwissTool X that is useful when I need pliers or a file or a saw or a chisel . . .
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:20 PM
Compact. It's role is to carry tools that aren't in my Rebar, and to backup the blade in what ever folder or small fixed blade I have on me that day.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

de Offline crackout

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:38:57 PM
My modded Compact (+ inline phillips, can opener, awl) replaced my beloved Wenger S18 recently. No backup stuff there.
I wonder what happens when I finish my Pioneer mod or get one of these lovely Syph-knives.
Say my name.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 06:08:00 PM
Bog standard Huntsman which I use for everything at work and home - Food prep, repairs, gardening, personal care - you name it. I'm also trying out a Farmer, but without the scissors I find I'm reaching for the Huntsman first.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:49 PM
I carry a Midnight Manager for the quick access light when I don't need a fullblown torch, an emergency pen and the scizzors. The knife and screwdrivers are ok, but also on other tools already.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:08 AM
I carry an old Alox Cadet in my pocket and a Swiss Champ in my bag, 27 years now. When I don't carry my bag (1 for job, 1 for errands, one for travels, all three from Victorinox) I have my old alox only. Recently I bought an XLT for EDC and took that place in my bag, so the Swiss Champ stays in my bedside drawer. I also had a Wenger Tool Chest Plus permanently in my Astronomy toolbox but I gave it now to my son this week. 
I would like to have a big collection someday but for the time beeing I use my SAKs for EDC. Maybe a Minichamp would be better for my pocket since the Cadet's tools are duplicated in the Swiss Champs, but it is a sentimental thing. I can't go out if I don't feel it right there, in my pocket.

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 11:52:16 AM
I carry a Huntsman in my pocket but will be replacing that with a Ranger model as soon as it comes in the mail.
On my belt my SwissTool Spirit X has found a permanent home.

england Offline macabee

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 03:33:04 PM
I have an Executive on my keyring, an Astronaut on my belt the SwissTool is never far away :salute:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:41:10 PM
Car Keys: Manager
Other keys: Classics
About the house: Director, CT41, Tourist
Car: Tool Chest
Pocket Carried Options: 1970's Outdoorsman, Yeoman, Traveller, 84mm Golfer, Black Pioneer, Pocket tool chest
Kit Carry Options (premade combos in sheaths or tins): Harvester, Voyager Lite
Boat: Mountaineer, Skipper
Bag: Explorer (old style)
Formal Carry: Deluxe Cigar Cutter (others are in review)

.... then I've got ... erm ... one or two  :P others kicking about too  :whistle: I keep meaning to offload some but haven't had time to get it sorted  :-[
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:27:09 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:05 PM
All I EDC is a SAK (and a light).

For me, a SAK is used on a daily basis for all manner of little things like tightening screws, trimming threads and hangnails, opening boxes, pulling splinters, changing the batteries in things,  and other small jobs. Any heavy duty work is done with dedicated tools, and I have those in my car and at the house. In my day-to-day life, I don’t need anything more than what could found on a Climber (or even Vic Classic, if you get down to it).

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:49 PM
The only constant is a black Vic Rambler on my car keys, I carried a black ALOX classic on it for a couple of months, but I'm back to the Rambler cause of the awesome phillips/bottle opener combo tool. As for pocket EDC mostly it's an ALOX Cadet (black or silver) or the Wenger Urban. If I'm wearing a suit, It's a black Vic Executive. If I go to the woods, the Ranger + Mora Clipper.

The Wenger Urban

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I went through that phase. I'm done with it now.
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:32 AM
I carried a tactical folder for years. Sometimes, the one-handed-opening was nice, but when I reflected on it, I usually realized: "With just the tiniest bit of forethought, I could open the knife BEFORE I had my other hand occupied, then BOOM, no more need for a OHO knife."

Then, I realized: "In the rare occasions I'm in the woods, what do I need a knife for, really? Whittling? > SAK. Cutting firewood? > SAK saw beats a big hatchet-like knife handily. Anything else? SAK has real tools, instead of just a blade that can be pushed into service as a tool.

If I KNOW I'm going into the woods, I carry either my Hiker, Workchamp, Soldier, or Wenger Ranger of some kind.

The rest of the time, I rotate between about 5 favorite SAKs, and never miss the tactical folders. (Executive, Rambler, Small Tinker, Wenger EvoGrip S16, Explorer)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 04:51:29 AM
I carry a OHO Trekker in my purse. I have it for the OHO blade mostly, but having the additional tools is a nice bonus, particularly the locking prytool/cap lifter.

I carry a SOG Crosscut for my scissors, and haven't found anything to top them, so my SAK doesn't need scissors. And, I have a little cheapo MT for a spall pair of pliers. Real Life Tests have shown me that I have never needed a pair of full size pliers away from home or my vehicle (where I have dedicated pliers).

I also keep a Tinker on my coffee table (along with a Leatherman Juice S2). They are my 'at hand' tools at home.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%