Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many folders do you need to cover all uses?

Poll

How many folders do you need to cover all possible blade uses?

4+

ca Offline scorpion008

• I travel Light: Wave with a pocket clip
How many folders do you need to cover all uses?
on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:44 PM
I'm wondering how many different folders is a reasonable number to have on the basis of them all having a slightly different use. For example, a se for plastic, a pe for fruit, an H1 for the beach...etc. Or could a serrated H1 hawkbill kill three birds with one spydie? Does one need a beater blade (e.g. Ambitious)? I do not want safe queens included in your count, only users.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: How many folders do you need to cover all uses?
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:16 PM
I currently carry a Pioneer, Climber Plus, Rambler and Spyderco FRN Native.  I realize it's redundant, but there is also that fiddle factor  :angel:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
I could handle pretty much all my cutting tasks with my Byrd Wings Slipit (having both serrated and plain edged blades) assuming I still had access to my fixed blades for heavy tasks. However, I choose not to  :P I have a good assortment to choose from and like the variety  ;)

Today I'm carrying a Nieto Manolina traditional slipjoint and a knifeless multitool :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:25:22 PM
A UKPK will pretty cover my needs.

I generally only carry one full sized blade anyway, so unless you count the Rambler as a back up, I voted one :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Jamie_M

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:02 PM
My Victorinox solo covers pretty much everything I encounter, sometimes a serrated blade on the rare occasions I believe that I'll need one.

ca Offline scorpion008

• I travel Light: Wave with a pocket clip
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:06 PM
If it is only one, do you guys think a small but high end knife will do?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:55 PM

Yes, if it's good steel and handles well. We have to carry under 3" here anyway, so that's what my limit is for EDC.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:28 PM

Depends what you call high end. It doesn't have to be some super stainless IMHO, and often I just go for a 420 type steel from a decent manufacturer. One of my favourite everyday carry knives is a Byrd Tern which is a nice size and very cheap, but it's also a very good design from a reputable knife maker. The only reason I specified the Wings Slipit over this one is that it has two blades - one serrated and one plain, but I can handle most of what I need with a plain edge. In fact I could probably handle most of what I do with a SAK blade, though I do prefer one hand opening and a pocket clip most days. My latest knife is a Michael Vagnino D2 steeled expensive thing ... but if I had to chose one knife and one knife only - it wouldn't be that one as the blade is too thick - not the best apple slicer in the world - but it's great for other stuff

What type of cutting tasks do you face day to day? How frequent is it?  Do you need a locking blade, or do you trust yourself with a slipjoint? (not been patronising there - just that some people feel the need for a lock for safety, and others don't) There's lots of elements to affect knife choice, but although I could manage with one - the only thing that knife couldn't do is stop me getting bored of it and wanting to carry something else for a while  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:52 PM
As a dyslexic, it's going to be a while before I stop finding the name Vangino funny... but I digress....

I agree with the finding the right one for you thing, then you don't feel like you would need another one. Ti UKPK is probably my favourite all rounder. It was the old G10 one until I fell in love with the feel of this.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:01 AM
I figure , one quality high end 3" folder will do it all , I also like to have a backup in case of loss , theft etc .

Chris

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:13:16 AM
I usually carry a S&W HRTF and a Benchmade Mel Pardue 527. The S&W does it for most of my needs. I carry the Benchmade for the JIC I would need to cut rope or something a little tougher. I'm not a big CE user.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:59 AM
Honestly? One reasonable quality folder should be enough for anyone IMO.  Exactly what that might be is a very personal choice though.  Traditional or modern is the big question I'd be asking myself first as everything eslse is then a refinement from there on in.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:01:09 PM
I never had to do anything a SAK's blade couldn't handle. For 25 years it was a Cadet's blade, still strong and able. I carried a Swisschamp for the other tools and the blade was offset so I relied on the Cadet.
Now that I have the monstrous XLT I ocassionaly carry the same Cadet, a Spartan or a Harvester. But my do it all blade belongs to an Opinel No 8 outdoor. I have two more Opis and a couple of SAK's at home and 2 other knives in the car.
But most cutting jobs can be handled fine by one tiny blades of my Minichamp. Most times you have to cut paper, carton, plastics, cords and fabrics. You don't need thick SV30 blades. A plain Stanley would suffice. Any Victorinox is much better.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:13 PM
I carried a small Tinker for almost 30 years and never ran into an issue that it couldnt handle.  I dont need a serrated blade as a plain one will cut anything but it might not do it quite as fast.

Nowadays, my Tinker has so much play in it that I dont carry it.  I carry a Super Tinker and it will cover all my needs daily.  I do mix it up alittle now and then and carry others like in the summer when I go to the beach, I will carry my Salt 1 Spyderco with a plain edge in my shorts pocket but will keep my Super Tinker in my backpack I carry to the beach.

Anyway, really only need one but have been blessed to have more than one around! :D

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:15 AM
My Benchmade 940 could be my one and only, but since I have others....

I carry the 940 at work or other outings.
I carry the Emissary 470 when casually dressed up (out to dinner..)
For church or other times I don't want a pocket clip showing, a Buck 55
And the Spyderco H1 Dragonfly for water play.

I have Leatherman Expanse and Buck Vantage folders but they are not in regular rotation.

ca Offline KDX

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 03:08:10 AM
I carry a Benchmade 890 Torrent at work and a Spyderco Sage1 on the street. I'm thinking of getting a 'hard use' folder just because. I have absolutely no need for it though.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:38 PM
I agree with Gareth and KK...  The main blade on a 91mm SAK does about 98% of the things I need a blade for.  I used to have a Dragonfly 2, but gave it to my wife for her backpacking gear because a blade that size, as nice as it is, doesn't really give me more than what a SAK blade does.  It's the same reason why I've never bought a Delica, or something like an Ambitious. 

As for a dedicated folder, since I lost my Stretch 2 to TSA, I'm realizing that my Endura 4 is pretty much the perfect all around utility folder.  Despite the fact a SAK does nearly everything I need, I've been pocket carrying my Endura again because of my recent epiphany about its greatness.  I've had the thing a couple of years now, and despite the fact I've beaten the snot out of it, it's still going strong.  In fact, since I got it, I haven't really used my Tenacious at all, so I gifted it to my father-in-law a few weeks ago. 

I've been thinking about this a lot too... I don't really have much need for dedicated folders.  For EDC a SAK or even the blade in a Leatherman gives me a lot more utility for the size and weight, and for outdoors stuff, camping, hiking, backpacking, etc., I'd rather have a small to medium sized fixed blade for stuff that a folder wouldn't do well.  So that's kind of the way I've been moving the last year or so, small multifunction tools like SAKs and plier based MT's, and fixed blades, and passing more and more on dedicated folders.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:28:27 AM
At least 4 one plane edge one serrated for work

and the same but nicer for home.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline bleedingthumb

• I EDC Band-aids.
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 12:51:21 AM
I have yet to encounter my first cutting task that made me wish I had a dedicated folder instead of whatever SAK or multi was on me at the time. I almost never carry a folder at all. The way I see it, what you need depends on your job/lifestyle. People who need more than a SAK tend to know who they are and what they need and why they need it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%