Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Feedback on 1st Wenger, an SI Alox

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Feedback on 1st Wenger, an SI Alox
on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:30 AM
Am happy with the Wenger SI Soldier Alox that I bought from Tim of EDC Source. Though have to admit :drool: over Syph007's magnifier & possible Wenger wrench modifications... they do make me wonder further...

Though am not quite comfortable in opening cans with this Swiss'pawed can opener, I can open cans with practice. Still think the clockwise opener that I grew up with is faster, this Swiss'pawed version has more uses.
Have used it as a small cut off knife, or nipper. Makes for a great pistachio nut cracker too. The Phillips end is quite useful, and even used it to open the tab of my Foster's oil can.

One thing I learned right quick like was to put some sort of lanyard onto the bail, 'cause that bail likes to flip over when closing the blade. Ouch! Had to dress out the blade edge after that first incident.

Is a light weight carry knife that compliments my cell phone. Makes it even sexier. Though I am spoiled in getting a Victorinox Climber first, this knife does have that end-driver awl that rival the one on my Leatherman Juices. Though the awl does not have a thread hole, it still is a heck of a lot lighter to carry than a Juice KF4 even.

On the plus side this knife would keep you from voiding your Leatherman warranty if you wanted an awl and your multitool did not have one. The awl also makes for a great utility blade when sharpened. You can cut insulation off of wires, coaxial cable, split vacuum tubing, cut rubber window & door gasket material, score & cut gasket materials, and even scrape with it.
Am sure there are other countless uses for a quality awl for those of us who can appreciate them for more then the obvious.

As a two layer knife it is also hardly noticeable in your pocket. I had to keep checking to be sure it was there.  :tu:
DSC01954.JPG
* DSC01954.JPG (Filesize: 128.25 KB)
DSC01902.JPG
* DSC01902.JPG (Filesize: 161.06 KB)
DSC01912.JPG
* DSC01912.JPG (Filesize: 228.39 KB)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:00:21 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Re: Feedback on 1st Wenger, an SI Alox
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:33 PM
2 modfications of Syph007's that have perked my interest:

Old Style Magnifier

Wenger Wrench
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:50:23 PM
Comparing the 93mm Wenger SI to the 91mm Vic Climber, have noticed differences in the shapes. Of the two, Wenger seems more refined, defined, and classy. Some things are more noticeable, at least to me, despite the layer difference playing a factor in tool thickness.

Main Long Blade

The hilt on the Wenger is wider, so the shape of the blade is wider in the edge sweep.

Can Opener, Flat Phillips Driver

The flat driver appears to be just slightly longer with more of an angle. Vic seems more rounded over, maybe slightly wider. Is fairly close to being the same

Vic has more of a side to side angle. Wenger is off-set and straight & uniform.

Bottle Popper, Flathead Driver, 90° Spring

Wenger is more stiff, rigid, firm on the 90° hold. This is probably due to the springs. Still, the rock (back and forth) on the Wenger seems to hold into position better.

Here can see the tool itself is different near its hilt. Wenger has a more outward curve in line with the lip to the popper. Whereas the Vic is more scooped inward. Minor differences in the nail nick.

Back-Springs

And lastly the back springs are definitely different. Wenger is more flush with the scale and layer spacers. Vic springs are inset more on the non-tool side, and the tools that are not exposed for opening are not flush with the scale or layer spacers. More uneven. Maybe this inset feature makes for another hidden tool, a knife loofa. Or a fingernail shaper: move the grates over the fingernail's edge.  :shrug:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:02 PM
The Wenger SI, IMO, is the best SAKs ever made.  It's a shame they've been discontinued  :(
SAW

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:09 PM
Good review but I believe you are comparing apples to oranges
(Wenger to Victorinox)

When you compare the SI to the Climber there are ALOT of differences
a fairer comparison  would be an SI against a Vic Alox Soldier or even a Pioneer.

There are several articles just on this topic. I wrote one just to prove Def wrong but proved him right in everything he said.  Swiss Man

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:38 PM
The Wenger SI, IMO, is the best SAKs ever made.  It's a shame they've been discontinued  :(

According to Wenger current catalog
they are still offering the SI.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:51 PM
I enjoyed that!  Great pictures too.  :tu:

us Offline Donald

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
I also like the Wenger Special Issue. I had one where the bail came loose on one side. Rather than tighten it back in place, I just removed it, essentially making a hollow rivet Vic Soldier. (Yes, I know there are subtle differences, but some like those anyway.)

Besides using a lanyard to avoid damaging the blade from closing on the bail, one can also take steps to avoid damaging the blade if it does close on the bail. One can slit a piece of hollow tubing to allow it to be placed on the bail. I recall the tubing came from a broken chip bag clip. I also decided to glue it in place. A neater method though is to paint on a couple coats of Star brite Liquid Electrical Tape. It will take a couple of days to harden up sufficiently. This is a very neat and svelte method. If the coating does get inadvertently called into action to protect the blade you will probably need to repair the coating as it is not as tough as the tubing method. It is no big deal to brush on a bit more. Just keep the can tightly closed. I had the can of Star brite electrical tape many years before I used it to coat the bail and it is still good.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:06:10 PM
Great review! :tu:  I love comparing my various SAKs/MTs like you did here.  I have a Vic Alox Pioneer Rancher, which is the same as a regular Pioneer, but with a pruner blade in place of the can opener.  I really like mine, and the pruner blade has come in very handy.  It's actually the most used implement.  I also love the awl on the Alox models.  They are very lightweight and basic SAKs, and it seems like they could last a lifetime, if not longer :tu:
K-Tibbs

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:36 PM
Nice writeup  :tu:
Who needs a canopener these days for opening cans? I use mine for peeling oranges.
The inline awl alone is reason for me to carry alox, for all sorts of "dirty stuff" I don't want to ruin my blade edge on (I work in construction). The scale tools (T&T) and backside tools on cellidor models are rubbish if you ask me (besides the corkscrew). Alox all the way!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:19:56 PM by Wootz »

gr Offline volbu

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:04 PM
2 modfications of Syph007's that have perked my interest:

Old Style Magnifier
(Image removed from quote.)

Wenger Wrench

Oooooh I like the magnifying glass :drool:  I'm a sucker for the mag glass for some reason.  I just like messing around with it I guess :)  The wrench is neat too.  I wonder if they would go together on the same layer?
K-Tibbs

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:21 AM
The Vic Climber and the Wenger SI are my firsts of each, so was a comparison of what I had. Know now there are differences in models, styles, years, ect. One neat thing about the Swiss Army knives is there is a lot of history and evolution compared to the pliers-based multitools.

What I think stands out most of these multiknives actually compliment some of the missing features from some of our beloved multitools. Where a multitool may be missing a magnifier, awl, smaller blade, corkscrew (being fair here), better scissors, mini-driver, ect, a knife may already exist to fill the void.
What this does is allow the consumer the ability to fill in the gaps without voiding warranties. Also the extra weight of a knife is much less than carrying yet another pliers-based multitool.

As a friend has said, which is true:
I think you're going to find it rather convenient to reach into your pocket for the Climber, and suddenly discover that you're really only reaching for your Leatherman when you need the pliers, or a saw.

Complimentary tools without voiding warranties. Should have gotten curious about SAK sooner. All these years... (resists the facepalm emoticon)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:07 AM
I find that I like having pliers, but don't use them much, or for heavy duty. So I looked into the Deluxe Tinker, but then it turned out that the Leatherman Style PS was a much better set of pliers at almost the same weight as the plier layer on the Deluxe Tinker. So, yeah, I think mixing plier based, and blade based tools is a VERY good way to get the best tool combination you're looking for. Ounce for ounce, the functionality of SAKs is hard to beat in most ways. And there's most likely a very close to perfect combination of tools for anyone's needs.

Glad you like your Wenger. I LOVE my Vic Farmer. Very sturdy feeling tool. And, I just picked up a Climber as well. Great selection of tools for everyday use.

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:50:56 AM
Now I have to ask how you tied that lanyard. Looks to be one piece, yes? Never have weaved/braided paracord before, but I like that simplistic lanyard on your Wenger SI.  :D

PS: How do you manage a clean and sealed cut on the ends? Surely you did not use a lighter, as that method makes brown & black ugly ends.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 08:16:15 AM
I too like complimenting my MTs with a SAK or two for EDC.  As mentioned, I find myself using a SAK more than a MT and only really use the MT for pliers/locking tools for heavier duty use.  I usually carry the Rebar, Vic Compact and Alox Pioneer Rancher, although lately I've been alternating between the SAKs and including the PST II due to it's light weight and just plain awesomeness :D  I'm still loving that thing and am having trouble leaving it at home when I leave for work :whistle:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 09:20:58 AM
I too like complimenting my MTs with a SAK or two for EDC.  As mentioned, I find myself using a SAK more than a MT and only really use the MT for pliers/locking tools for heavier duty use.  I usually carry the Rebar, Vic Compact and Alox Pioneer Rancher, although lately I've been alternating between the SAKs and including the PST II due to it's light weight and just plain awesomeness :D  I'm still loving that thing and am having trouble leaving it at home when I leave for work :whistle:

I too have been doing this recently. With my compact or climber combined with my MP400, skeletool, or dime. This Wenger SI has really peeked my interest though. Very nice SAK.

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:42 AM
I even dropped a line of this on Leatherman's facebook page.

Personally prefer the Charge TTi with a Skeletool. Then recently discovered quite by accident that the competition often makes for a great duet.
Have been looking for an awl. Yet to have the comforts that the Charge TTi offers and wanting to keep the warranty, the logical choice would be to add a Victorinox or Wenger Swiss knife.
This makes for a great complimentary tool as the knives can come with an assortment of options like an awl, magnifier, ect. to fulfill those missing links.

Sent by my Sonic Screwdriver SAK Knife
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:30:23 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:35 PM

I too have been doing this recently. With my compact or climber combined with my MP400, skeletool, or dime. This Wenger SI has really peeked my interest though. Very nice SAK.

Yeah, a MT and SAK work very well together and cover most any need you may have on a daily basis.  They are nice SAKs.  Alox models are more durable and have beefier implements.  However, you do lose the tweezers and toothpick and backspring tools (if any of that matters to you), but they are slim and lightweight and just a great SAK that will last a looong time :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:23 AM
I have a preference for the Alox line because of the awl and beefier tools.

Yeah, I agree with the pairing up of tools for a more well-rounded EDC. But I'm not gonna carry more than two tools (I'm not Batman).

If i was going for stock SAKS, then the perfect tool combo for me would be an Alox Pioneer or Farmer paired with a Classic SD. The tweezers, scissors, and screwdriver on the SD perfectly compliment the tool-set on a Alox Pioneer.

But don't forget the Farmer. I swear, 99% of your needs could be met with a Farmer and a Classic SD.

Right now, I carry a Classic SD with a Quark Mini AA light, and pair that with one of my Pioneers that have been modded with scissors.

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 05:09:58 AM
Wonder if there is a Wenger Alox out there that looks a lot like the Standard Issue, but having the electricians blade in there instead of the can opener?

Guess I could see about getting that blade and a magnifier modded into it... if can find a US modder (due to recent shipping issues).
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:24 AM
Wonder if there is a Wenger Alox out there that looks a lot like the Standard Issue, but having the electricians blade in there instead of the can opener?

Guess I could see about getting that blade and a magnifier modded into it... if can find a US modder (due to recent shipping issues).

The Victorinox Electrician is exactly that.  Not a Wenger though.  I have the Pioneer Rancher, which has a pruner blade (looks kinda like a hawkbill blade), and I really like it.  I use that blade quite a bit. 
K-Tibbs

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:50 AM

The Victorinox Electrician is exactly that.  Not a Wenger though.  I have the Pioneer Rancher, which has a pruner blade (looks kinda like a hawkbill blade), and I really like it.  I use that blade quite a bit.

But no lanyard attachment.  :(

Edit: I really need a lanyard attachment. Anything loose in my pocket goes walkabout without notice.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:35:25 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:54 AM

But no lanyard attachment.  :(

Edit: I really need a lanyard attachment. Anything loose in my pocket goes walkabout without notice.

My Pioneer Rancher doesn't have that either.  Not sure why some of them don't have that.  It's fine for me, but I know others like to use a lanyard. 
K-Tibbs

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:39 PM
Love the pruner blade too - this is most of the tools I would ever want in Alox without anything extra, and a clip to make it work :tu:

Mr Bee, or course :D

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:45:56 PM by nuphoria »
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
I also like the Wenger Special Issue.

Actually, SI stands for Standard Issue. Great knives, but not really special :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:22 PM
That is a custom built Wenger I take it? If so, who made that beauty for you?  :drool:

Love the pruner blade too - this is most of the tools I would ever want in Alox without anything extra, and a clip to make it work :tu:

¬ Outback in Idaho

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 11:06:05 PM

Wouldn't the clip be more comfy on the other end? And the shield on the flip site?

I must say I love the tool setup for edc :tu:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:09:40 PM by Wootz »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 06:52:39 AM

Oh I want that :drool:  That would definitely be an EDC favorite of mine :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:03 AM

Oh I want that :drool:  It would definitely be one of me EDC favorites :tu:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20