Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does Wenger play second fiddle to Victorinox?

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Does Wenger play second fiddle to Victorinox?
on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:03 PM
From what I understand, the two companies have run parallel since almost the beginning.  Is my impression correct that most members of this forum seem to hold Victorinox in higher esteem?  I understand that Victorinox acquired Wenger in 2005, but notwithstanding that, has it always been regarded as a lesser brand?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Does Wenger play second fiddle to Victorinox?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:13:16 PM
Comparing my recent Wenger SI to the Vic Climber, the Wenger is built better. Blade is wider in spots, appears to be thicker. The tools are a tad more beefier. Wenger seems more refined and offers different options than Victorinox does. The flathead 90° spring is a lot more firmer then the Climber.

Strange to read:
Quote from: Wikipedia
On 26 April 2005 Victorinox acquired Wenger, the other official supplier of the Swiss Army knife, announcing that it intended to keep both brands intact.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:21:24 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nl Offline marcel.reijerse

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:21:29 PM
Comparing my recent Wenger SI to the Vic Climber, the Wenger is built better. Blade is wider in spots, appears to be thicker. The tools are a tad more beefier. Wenger seems more refined and offers different options than Victorinox does. The flathead 90° spring is a lot more firmer then the Climber.

Strange.

IMHO you really can't compare a 91mm Vic to a 93mm alox Wenger, as the difference would be the same if you compared a 91 mm vic to a 93 mm alox Vic.

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:14 PM

Strange.

IMHO you really can't compare a 91mm Vic to a 93mm alox Wenger, as the difference would be the same if you compared a 91 mm vic to a 93 mm alox Vic.

Did not get my ruler out to measure the differences in length. Does 2mm makes that much of a difference in a knife? Can see the visual differences without having to whip out the ruler or micrometers.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:53 PM
Quote from: Wikipedia
Victorinox Swiss Army knives use 58 mm (2.3 in), 74 mm (2.9 in), 84 mm (3.3 in), 91 mm (3.6 in), 93 mm (3.7 in), 100 mm (3.9 in), 108 mm (4.3 in) and 111 mm (4.4 in) closed length steppings. The thickness of the knives varies depending on the number of tool layers included. The 91 mm (3.6 in) knives offer the most variety in tool configurations in the Victorinox model line.[23]

Wenger Swiss Army knives use 65 mm (2.6 in), 75 mm (3.0 in), 85 mm (3.3 in) 93 mm (3.7 in), 100 mm (3.9 in) and 120 mm (4.7 in) closed length steppings. Thickness varies depending on the number of tool layers included. The 85 mm (3.3 in) knives offer the most variety in tool configurations in the Wenger model line.

Guess it is not the length of the tool so much as the layers. Wenger is visually different in the tool shapes, despite the thickness. For both being owned by the same company wouldn't the shapes be the same, and the lengths, ect. ect.? Maybe it was more cost effective to keep them going as they are.

Don't see Wenger as playing second fiddle. More like Vic makes the Wave, and Wenger makes the Charge. Same tool, definitive overall.
¬ Outback in Idaho

nl Offline marcel.reijerse

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:15 PM
Guess it is not the length of the tool so much as the layers. Wenger is visually different in the tool shapes, despite the thickness. For both being owned by the same company wouldn't the shapes be the same, and the lengths, ect. ect.? Maybe it was more cost effective to keep them going as they are.

Don't see Wenger as playing second fiddle. More like Vic makes the Wave, and Wenger makes the Charge. Same tool, definitive overall.
It's not the thickness, it's the difference in series.
The 93mm series from both Vic and Wenger have thicker blades/tools and stronger springs than the 91 mm vics. The older Victorinox Soldier (or current Pioneer) is pretty much the same as a Wenger SI.

Offline jrp316

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:27 PM
Quite honestly, you won't go wrong with either brand; both of them make great knives. The only thing that I would've wished to see happen when Victorinox acquired Wenger is for them to keep the Swiss military knives contract halved as they always had before. I would've liked to see Wenger's take on the new Soldier.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:45 PM
Sometimes i fell like a Vic's, sometimes i don't. Wenger has locking drivers Vic's don't.
CHEERS

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:58 PM
In my mind they make equal but different tools. Victorinox makes more do-it-all aesthetically pleasing (almost luxury) urban tools and Wenger more specialized practical outdoor tools (with exceptions and overlaps). Since most buyers live an urban life and have general needs Victorinox sold more knives every year (perhaps their sales network is more globalized also, in Geneva I've seen more Wengers than Vics). Most specialized (Cyclist etc) and outdoors (Rangers) Wengers have no match but those who use those tools have other options as well (like full bike toolsets and thousands of fixed knifes and tactical folders).

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:43 PM
From what I understand, the two companies have run parallel since almost the beginning.  Is my impression correct that most members of this forum seem to hold Victorinox in higher esteem?  I understand that Victorinox acquired Wenger in 2005, but notwithstanding that, has it always been regarded as a lesser brand?

If you compaire 91mm Vic to 85mm Wenger, then in my experience the Wenger steel is "softer". (not sure if that is the correct word for it).  People who make mods should be able to confirm this.

And if you leave a Wenger with the tools fanned out halfway for a period of time, the springs become weak and do not snap anymore. Now, this is bad practise to do on any slipjoint pocketknife, but the Vic backsprings hold up better. Maybe this is just my subjective feeling, because I haven't handled a Wenger in a long time.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:19 PM
First... what Marcel said. The layers on the 93mm Vic are much beefier than those on the 91mm. I have a Farmer, and it seems a good deal more robust than the standard 91s.

I think Vic is probably better known. So, in most ways, yes. I think Wenger is the second place finisher. That Vic purchased them ought to speak to that.

It doesn't mean their tools are inferior. One place where Wenger wins is scissors on the 85mm line. The 84mm Vic have no answer to that, and the difference from 91mm down to 85 or 85 seems to me to make a lot of difference in ease of carry.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:57 PM
I for one hadn't even heard of Wenger until.. well.. just a few years ago and hadn't even seen them in a store in Sweden until.. maybe last year.

So even though I know that it's not true I can't help but feel that Victorinox is the real swiss army knife and that Wenger is just some copycat..  :facepalm:

That and I almost always find Victorinox' designs better looking.. that doesn't really help Wenger in my book. I've yet to own one though.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:12:38 PM
The evo line is nice, I wish the had a two or three layer with a magnifier
CHEERS

us Offline Yalius

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:55:31 PM
Sometimes i fell like a Vic's, sometimes i don't. Wenger has locking drivers Vic's don't.

Suddenly I'm craving a candy bar...

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:04 PM
I think a big problem is that these days there are very few elusive Wenger Models that everyone is looking out for , I know if I see a Vic with a space shuttle on it or a St Christopher its worth picking up but wengers from the same period .... no idea what is collected or rare.

The older military knifes I think the Wengers are every bit as good as the Vics ... they seemed more keen on brass liners for one thing :) (that may not be true but I seem to have more Wengers with Brass than Vics)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:33 PM

That would be cool.  I've been eyeing the Evogrip 16 a bit as it looks like a good EDC option.  However, it's around $40, which to me seems a bit expensive when compared to Vic SAKs.  My Explorer only cost around $28-$30 I believe. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

Suddenly I'm craving a candy bar...

Ahhh someone got it !!  :salute:
CHEERS

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:21 PM
It's a bit of well worn debate as to the superiority of Vic over Wenger (or it is for the old SOSAK members amongst us ;)).  For the last few years I truly don't believe there has been anything to differentiate the two makers in terms of quality.  Lots of differences in design but not in quality IMO.  With that said Wenger did seem to go through a perceived bad spell of QC a good few years ago which did their reputation no good at all.

It should also be noted that Vic is a much larger company and so their share of the market is obviously much larger, hence most folks who buy a real SAK are more than likely to buy a Vic first.  It's always hard to see past a first love. :dd:

:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:16:52 PM
Ah..The Secret Order..I remember that! How time flies..
It was a great bunch of people, like we have here.  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:00 PM
Ah..The Secret Order..I remember that! How time flies..
It was a great bunch of people, like we have here.  :cheers:
Still going strong I believe, but I've not been on in ages.  I'm kept more than happy (and busy) enough here. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:42:12 PM

That would be cool.  I've been eyeing the Evogrip 16 a bit as it looks like a good EDC option.  However, it's around $40, which to me seems a bit expensive when compared to Vic SAKs.  My Explorer only cost around $28-$30 I believe.

Am liking the aesthetics of the EvoWood. Have always admired wooden handles over plastic. Price though...  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:37 PM

I have the 16 it's a little thick for me, it's okay in cargo pockets
CHEERS

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 11:50:51 PM

i found it at Kmart for 25
CHEERS

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:53 AM

The Evo16 is probably my favorite SAK, it ends up in my pocket more than any other model.  I don't it to be bulky at all, the 85mm frame rides in your pocket nicely.  :tu:  I've seen them for sale for around $25-30 in a number of places around here.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:48 AM
Not second in my book. There are some things I think one manufacturer or the other does better. I prefer Wenger's main blade with more belly, but their combo-tool is a bit of a joke. Wenger's scissors do it for me, even with the "bobbing up and down" that some people complain about.

It always amuses me when people say they would love to have an 84mm SAK like a Vic Sportsman with scissors but you just can't get it :poh:...   hello? Traveler/Evo14?  1mm bigger is a deal breaker? :think:

Of course there are things that Vic' does that Wenger lacks.  like "the hook"  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 04:29:42 AM
It always amuses me when people say they would love to have an 84mm SAK like a Vic Sportsman with scissors but you just can't get it :poh:...   hello? Traveler/Evo14?  1mm bigger is a deal breaker? :think:

For me, it's not that at all. Besides the 'bobbing' issue, Wenger scissors simply are not as good. Sorry. I have no bias, and until last year, never owned a SAK at all. But I've tested the Wenger 85mm and the Vic 91mm scissors, and the Vic's are simply better, and not just due to slightly longer blades.

Some people also like the vic can opener style better than the Wenger's, or the Awl, which, frankly, is pretty bad on the Wenger and excellent on the Vic. What those people want, and I think I'd be counted among them, is all the stuff they like about Vics, in the smaller frame, with Vic style scissors.

That being said, I'm pretty darn happy with the Evo S17. I think I'd prefer the non-locking blade, because that unlock tab makes extracting the scissors less than fun. And I think the Evo 16 might be in my future.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:06:08 AM
Vic doesn't own Wenger, the family that owns Vic owns Wenger.  This distinction needs to be clear, they are both independent companies.  So no, there is no second fiddle.  But I am curious if Wenger had the full political backing of the Elsener family when the new solder contract was up for bidding if you know what I mean...
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:45 AM

I'm one of those people.. :P

The Traveler would be the ultimate urban edc for me.. if they had the same can opener.. I really want the driver tip since the Vic one works wonders on philips screws.

I have read that some mod the nailfile a bit to work on philips screws thouh.. so maybe that might be an alternative.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:56 PM

Well I'll have to check Kmart out then.  Thanks :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:04 PM

The Evo16 is probably my favorite SAK, it ends up in my pocket more than any other model.  I don't it to be bulky at all, the 85mm frame rides in your pocket nicely.  :tu:  I've seen them for sale for around $25-30 in a number of places around here.
Well you made me rethink the 16 for edc, going to give it a honest pocket carry for a week an see if i get use to it.
CHEERS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD