Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you have a themed collection?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Do you have a themed collection?
on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:16 PM
If you collect SAKs, what is your focus, if any? Personally, I'm somewhere between user, hoarder, collector and accumulator. I always buy a new Spartan if I'm travelling somewhere they are selling knives where they have custom scales, e.g. with the city's coat of arms. I have a tendency to accumulate Campers as well. So what do you do? A Soldier for every year? The historically important models? All knives you simply happen to like? Do tell!

nl Offline Wootz

Re: Do you have a themed collection?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:29 PM
I have a theme..

It's called Victorinox  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:02 PM
Ive been buying 1 of each of the ones I think are cool and unique.  No doubles except for many colors of pioneers.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline k12cop

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:17:23 PM
I accumulate what strikes my fancy...but must be pocketable...only theme I'm working on is my family's birthyears...Wenger SI's 1972 is me, 1980 the wife...now I have to get the kids'

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1359843435566.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1359843435566.jpg (Filesize: 29.18 KB)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:10 AM
I have a bit of everything, but mostly 91mm and 74mm. If I had to pick a theme it would be: all scale variations in 74mm.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:54 AM
I tend to be an omnivore when it comes to Victorinox and Wenger, but there is one notable subset in the collection - Boy Scout knives. I tend to focus on them for several reasons, partly because I'm an old Eagle Scout from back in the 60s; partly because SAKs and Scouts go together - 'Be Prepared'. I have about 60 Scout knives, both international and from about ten individual countries.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:59 AM
I get users. The non users are given as presents to my family, sooner or later. I still have some gaps (such as 111-130mm). It seems that even with users one might end with 20 different SAKs, something considered silly by some (wives with 366 pairs of shoes to be exact).

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:59 AM
I seem to have fallen into ending up with quite a few with Elinox tang stamps. And a couple or three Hoffritz Victoria knives.
I think it's just that I like the thought of all the adventures that an old knife like that has been through in the past 50 or so years.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:16:18 AM
Well I've just gone for the biggest across the board be it Victorinox or Wenger.

From the  XXLT to the Rescue 88 including the 4 CT's along the way!
Not so sure with the Alox, just doesn't "float my boat" as they say. Still picked up an Wenger S1 along with several pioneers/farmer/cadet.

The trick is.......knowing when to stop  :think:

Any tips?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:50 AM
Here's my three step plan to destitution ....

1) Buy to try! Get hold of a huge range of different stuff and play with it. Ones that are close but don't quite cut the mustard normally have close variations, so try those too. Once you've found a set up that works buy some more stuff to see how it compares.

2) Get the sexy version! Find something you like such as a Wenger Traveller? Get the brushed stainless version, then the coffin scaled version, then the Evo, then a Deluxe Cigar Cutter because it's the same tool but with a cigar cutter added which is perfect for weddings plus it's got leather inlay AND coffin scales, then get a Coach climber because that's the nearest thing to a Wenger Traveller in full leather scales  ...

3). Wonder what the smurf you did that for and spend several months on and off scratching your head wondering which to sell. Not only do you not need them all, you don't want to own that much stuff you don't use. Make a big pile of the stuff you intend to sell and then let life get in the way of doing it for just long enough do allow yourself to question if you're selling/keeping the right items. Then see a buffalo horn version and buy that :dwts: and go right back to not having a clue which ones you actually want.

Repeat across a wide range of tools and knives
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:48:27 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

The trick is.......knowing when to stop  :think:

Any tips?

"Don't stop 'till you get enough."

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 03:50:01 AM
My theme is whatever I like. :D

Ash's mobile on the move.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:07:41 PM
I would say I really don't have a theme exactly.  I just need a SAK to be pocketable as well as a good compliment to one of my full size MTs.  I'm very particular about that aspect.  I also do like SAKs that have a useful combination of tools and personal grooming in a pocketable size.  I work in an office and sometimes I may have to trim a stray hair/whisker or file a nail, etc.  Scissors are a must IMO.  I don't need lots of tools really since I carry a MT as well. 

So I guess I have more of a theme than I thought, if those things make a theme that is ::)
K-Tibbs

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:57:46 PM
I tend to be an omnivore when it comes to Victorinox and Wenger, but there is one notable subset in the collection - Boy Scout knives. I tend to focus on them for several reasons, partly because I'm an old Eagle Scout from back in the 60s; partly because SAKs and Scouts go together - 'Be Prepared'. I have about 60 Scout knives, both international and from about ten individual countries.

Just in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/swisstool/swiss-army-boy-scout-swisstool
Swisstool Boy Scout

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:11 PM
Cybertools are my first passion. Then I would say large ones with many layers are next. I also like the older Champions with the long nail file. I am not into alox so much.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:48 PM

Just in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/swisstool/swiss-army-boy-scout-swisstool
Swisstool Boy Scout

Thanks for the info. Already have that one. It's the foreign stuff that's hard to pick up. Even when you can find them, a lot of Scout shops won't sell outside their own country. 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:26 AM
I guess you could say I have two different themes for my small collections.  I have some LM Juice models and some alox sak's. :D

If I could get rid of some other sak's and a laptop, I might have more to spend on them!   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%