Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WENGER KNIVES DISCONTINUED

tr Offline TurkTeen

• Meet The Youngster: 13 Years Old and SAK Collector
WENGER KNIVES DISCONTINUED
on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:47 PM

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/content/news_page/nc_Victorinox_Wenger-Press

It appears that Victorinox decided to stop producing Wenger tools and will focus on Victorinox swiss army knives.  :cry:

Goddbye, Wenger. Thank you for everything. :salute:
I cannot mod.
I cannot trade.
But I can collect.

You have not felt real pain until you have used Tapatalk on a Blackberry...

us Offline condcup

Re: WENGER KNIVES DISCONTINUED
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:11:19 PM
 :td:

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:22:47 PM

You only have Victorinox knives. What Wenger
has done for you in the last 13 years?  :think:

Regards

Markus

Offline space cowboy

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
Its a good thing I bought a new Wenger SI..!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:13:41 PM

Regards

Markus

Unless I've miss read this,that's a bit out of order!

While Wenger has lived very much in Vitorinox shadow,they have,especially in the last ten years or so offered us many new innovations,far more than Vic have in the same period.

TurkTeen,and many other new users and collectors have good grounds to grieve the passing of Wenger,regardless of whether they currently own any.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:23 PM
   The weird, mystical trademark stamps of the Boechat years, the woman’s hand in the development of the early Wenger line, the changes of factory location, a disastrous fire, the inter-office family feuds and take-overs, compared to the orderly father-to-son management of Victorinox, always in Ibach since 1884:  the histories of these two Swiss knife companies could not be more different. Wenger and Victorinox are the yin and yang of the cutlery world.

Victorinox acquired Wenger, their competitor for over a hundred years despite being one-tenth their size, as a partner in 2005, a move both brave and noble on the part of the larger company:  brave in granting the smaller firm autonomy in production and marketing, noble in saving the Swiss reputation for quality and the Wenger shield from foreign acquisition.  But now in a Wenger press release of 30 January 2013 Carl Elsener says “In the global fight for survival we are joining forces and focusing on one brand:  Victorinox.”  “An assortment from the Wenger collection will be produced going forward under the brand name Victorinox.”  This is a critical development in the history of the Swiss Knife.

Considering that Aarau, the first capital of unified Switzerland, lies exactly midway between Delemont and Ibach (the home towns of these two cutleries), the recent decision by Victorinox to end manufacturing of the Wenger brand could threaten to upset the very balance of the Swiss confederation, the oldest republic in the world.  Because neutral Switzerland, as the quiet and steady heart of Europe, “holds the arm of the balance in the middle”, the stability of the entire continent, and thus of world affairs, may thereby be less secure.

These are precarious times:  Violent changes of government in Arab countries, fundamentalist factions of several stripes, firearms-related tragedies in the USA and elsewhere, economic stresses, nuclear hazards in several zones…  One can only hope that Victorinox, long known for their loyalty to their workers as well as real environmental values, will consider this new arrangement with Wenger fiscally provisional and before long return to an independent if necessarily unequal partnership, each company continuing to produce their excellent knives. 

The Wenger company has always made the more zany tools, Victorinox the more conservative.  Each has tried to out-do the other in one way or another and the competition has been beneficial for product development, and variety, and price.  High Swiss quality and the sheer usefulness of these great pocketknives will surely continue, but as one who depends on and has grown to love the Swiss Army Knife, I hope that somehow the balance of the Swiss knife industry can be restored and we will be able to purchase both the Wenger and Victorinox brands into an otherwise uncertain future.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:44:13 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:51 PM
yes, well written,
i strongly believe it would be best to uphold the quality when the two brands with their two philosophies continue competing like before, we see this in hard facts from patent databases and ads and the knives we have,
to keep work forces is great but there must be other ways to uphold the work places, the two brands should work together against the fakes from Asia and others, it was mentioned that they in Asia will one day get the same quality like the Swiss, i doubt that unless at a high price, it will be a fight with numbers, it will be made huge numbers of knives to compete with the Swiss, i am not sure it will bring out more quality by Victorinox, it is high like we know but i strongly believe the two Swiss Brands will uphold quality best by fighting eachother but work together against fakes,
Get more tools

tr Offline TurkTeen

• Meet The Youngster: 13 Years Old and SAK Collector
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:42 PM

Regards

Markus

I thanked Wenger for all MTO members here.

Yes, I don't have a Wenger, it isn't even sold where I live, I DO prefer Victorinox over Wenger, but that doesn't mean I don't respect Wenger.
I cannot mod.
I cannot trade.
But I can collect.

You have not felt real pain until you have used Tapatalk on a Blackberry...

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:48 PM

welcome to the forum TurkTeen :tu:
Get more tools

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:05 PM

Regards

Markus

I thanked Wenger for all MTO members here.

Yes, I don't have a Wenger, it isn't even sold where I live, I DO prefer Victorinox over Wenger, but that doesn't mean I don't respect Wenger.

:salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:11:59 PM
About the post of J Mackrel Jones, is the best analysis I've ever read.
Well written indeed. :tu:

Also welcome to the MultiTool.org TurkTeen.
It's nice to see a neighbor here.  :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:18 AM
Wow! We can't help discussing this matter over and over again. It socked us, it socked me at least and I wasn't a Wenger fun. Wenger was 10% of Swiss Army Knives for me also but, since Swiss Army Knives are of such great importance even that 10% isn't a negligible amount, on the contrary. The memories of HP acquiring the Holy Palm just to scrap it haunted me. But HP isn't the kind of company Victorinox is. That's why we may continue to hope.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:28 AM
Some one should have redirected this thread to the original threads a few posts back, now there are 3 threads to follow:

Original: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42641.0.html

Genuine: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42688.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69