Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fallkniven Gentleman's Pocket Knife - In pursuit of the perfect pocket folder

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Introducing the Fallkniven Gentlemans Pocket Knife

Total length: 180mm or 7 1/4"
Blade length: 78mm or 3 1/8"
Blade thickness: 3mm or 1/8"
Weight: 97g or 3.4oz
Steel: Lam CoS
Hardness (HRC): 60
Handle material: Cocobolo
Lock Type: Liner lock

Fit:

The overall fit of this knife is superb, I would rate it at 98% or better. The fit between the cocobolo scales and the stainless steel liners and SS bolsters is 100% with no gaps and absolutely smooth transitions. There are a few hairlines between the bolsters and the liners which in no way detracts from the quality, as they are only noticeable when compared to other parts where the fit is so tight they look like one piece.

Finish:

Outstanding finish on all parts of the knife. The brushed satin bolsters and liners are perfect, with sharp lines where they won't cause discomfort, and slight rounding on areas that come into contact with the hand. I wish I had a better camera to capture some of the finer details of the knife. Like the radial finish on the head of the blade pivot pin or the slight gold tint applied to the Fallkniven Lam.Cos stamp on the blade. In just the right light you can also see the laminated nature of the Lam.Cos steel on the spine of the blade, just magnificent!

The Walk and the Talk:

I could not believe how smooth this knife was when I began opening it. Being a liner lock I expected some friction resistance from the tip of the liner lock riding on the end of the blade, but there was none. Upon further scrutiny I discovered why. There is a small ball bearing mounted in the end the liner lock surface which mates up to the blade. This ball bearing can be detecting during two actions, it can be felt when the blade slips off the ball bearing just before it locks up. It also gives feedback when the knife is closed as the ball bearing rests in a small detente in the blade in the fully closed position. The liner lock guarantees zero up/down play and side to side play, if it were to develop, can be remedied by tightening the blade pivot.

All other observations:

The first time I saw this knife I instantly knew I had to have it. It screamed vintage and refined, and for some reason it reminds me of a bayonet. The more and more I saw it though it appeared really over-sized, contrary to the measurement specs. Upon receiving the it I was pleasantly surprised at the size, absolutely perfect. I have provided some comparison photos to some common knives and tools including hand shots to properly illustrate the size.

The size to weight ratio is perfect, IMHO. Any heavier and it would weigh down the pocket, any lighter and it wouldn't convey the strength that it does. The balance could be a little better, it is a little tip or blade heavy, and balances just behind the bolsters.

Although it lacks a clip, there is plenty of space for tapping in a couple of screws and mounting one yourself. I want to try it with a bale chain in addition to trying to make a pocket slip case with built in pocket clip for it.

Conclusions:

Is this knife worth the MSRP of $340 USD, not for me. Is it worth the $190 USD I payed for it, my answer is yes. Fallkniven knives are expertly crafted with what appears to be a keen eye for detail and excellent quality control.
Fallkniven_GP.jpg
* Fallkniven_GP.jpg (Filesize: 90.18 KB)
Fallkniven_GP-2.jpg
* Fallkniven_GP-2.jpg (Filesize: 80.53 KB)
Fallkniven_GP-3.jpg
* Fallkniven_GP-3.jpg (Filesize: 87.31 KB)
handy.jpg
* handy.jpg (Filesize: 102.69 KB)
"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

ca Offline wndrstrck

Size Comparisons
comparison.JPG
* comparison.JPG (Filesize: 155.7 KB)
GP_vs_SI-3.jpg
* GP_vs_SI-3.jpg (Filesize: 113.8 KB)
GP_vs_SI-4.jpg
* GP_vs_SI-4.jpg (Filesize: 117.39 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
That's a beautiful knife! I love Fallkniven knives!  I only have the big A1 but I love the quality.  Im after one of their folders next, but probably not $300 worth.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
That's one cool looking pocket knife. A bit on the large size for what I would consider a gentleman's folder but nice non the less. :hatsoff:

us Offline 82brutus

Nice review and it looks like a nice knife.   The comparison shot is nice as it gives a better feel to me of how big it is.  BTW, I have that same SOG.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

no Offline Grathr

Great review!  :tu:
That looks like a great knife! To bad it is so expencive.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
That's a lovely looking folder   :drool:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
That's a fantastic looking knife mate. :tu:  For some reason it's not quite "me"; something to do with proportions perhaps?  But then it's not my knife, so what does it matter?  Just so long as you love it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Both gentlemanly and kick arse!

Can't really fault the Falkies on their fit and finish - never seen a dud yet.

Fabulous review, and pics... thank you for that :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline wndrstrck

BTW, I have that same SOG.

The SOG Tomcat is one of my favorite knives. Very hefty and just oozes steel appeal  :drool: Is yours in a collection or do you sometimes carry it Brutus?

Thanks for all the kind words about my review, gang. It's not something I do very often, so I just covered the things I would want to know. I need to invest in a better camera one of these days instead of buying a new knife or tool :rofl:

us Offline 82brutus

I carry it now and again but most of the time it sits in the case.  I agree it has a very solid feel to it and just feels good in the hand.

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

gb Offline 396988

That is a very nice knife, I keep looking at Fallkniven's. Seems to retail for about £180 in the UK.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Same like you.. When I saw I knew I want it... Though still haven't raised funds!

Great review, thanks!

I'll have it one day... Even used!!  :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for bumping this EDC  :tu:

Thats a very  :drool: knife
Everything’s adjustable

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Thanks for bumping this EDC  :tu:

Thats a very  :drool: knife

You're welcome... It needed to be bumped...  :salute: :salute: :tu: :tu:
I'd bump out most of my knives and replace them with this one...  :drool: :drool:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
It's for sure a sweet looking knife but over twice as much as a Benchmade and I can't imagine it being better quality than that.  :P
SAW

us Offline sawman

It's for sure a sweet looking knife but over twice as much as a Benchmade and I can't imagine it being better quality than that.  :P
They're actually not priced too bad on eBay. I might possibly pay this for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fallkniven-Gentlemans-Pocket-Knife-Cocobolo-FNGP-NEW-/191110111398?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2c7f0ce0a6

SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Dammit Id love one for my collection, but I need to be 'good'.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F...s&hash=item2c7f0ce0a6

I'm sure there are some online retailers carrying that price, maybe few bucks less...

That one and U2 to keep company to my Sebbie and 555HG... Missing just one spiderco, though I really can't make choice...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline sawman

I'm sure there are some online retailers carrying that price, maybe few bucks less...

That one and U2 to keep company to my Sebbie and 555HG... Missing just one spiderco, though I really can't make choice...
What Spydie are you missing?
SAW

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club

Exactly that are my thoughts...

I can't say now there are few I, like, go around liking and disliking... Hot and cold game...

It's more or less like my journey with BM 555HG... The one I have  is my #4 or 5... It was like I love it when I saw it, but then got it and somehow... Meh!! Than sold it and immediate missed it.. Then got my second... Same story... This one is here to stay!!  :D :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline sawman

I can't say now there are few I, like, go around liking and disliking... Hot and cold game...

It's more or less like my journey with BM 555HG... The one I have  is my #4 or 5... It was like I love it when I saw it, but then got it and somehow... Meh!! Than sold it and immediate missed it.. Then got my second... Same story... This one is here to stay!!  :D :D
The mini Griptilian is a nice knife, great value for the money. My favorite is the 530 and 531. As for SpyderCo, I prefer the Eudora or Delica, although I get a lot of use out of my Native FRN and LadyBug. :tu:

SAW

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club

The mini Griptilian is a nice knife, great value for the money. My favorite is the 530 and 531. As for SpyderCo, I prefer the Eudora or Delica, although I get a lot of use out of my Native FRN and LadyBug. :tu:

We're waaaay OT here, but what a heck..

My key point for a knife are simplicity and slim line... I love when knives are slim... Like Sebbie, Kershaw leek... That kind of slim profile...

555HG isn't so slim...

And back on Topic, this one isn't slim also... But it really looks like something that would survive both WWI and WWII in trenches easily...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline sawman

If you're after a slim quality knife, check out the BM 530 and 531.  :pok: :pok:
SAW

us Offline n4vgm

Great review! Outta my price range for now but it is always good to have goals in life, eh?

I like the blade shape BTW, a little different for a folder (at least from my limited experience). It looks very field usable to me.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
I love that knife... the price not as much :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
That is a sweet folder!! Looks like you can put a thunb stud on it. Not sure if I would though. I was wondering, can it be flicked out?

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56