Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Birthday Explorer

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Birthday Explorer
on: May 27, 2013, 06:11:56 PM
My lovely daughter bought me a Vic Explorer from our local antique shop for my birthday. She knocked them down to £7.50 after checking out the condition.

The blades were a bit grubby and the scissor spring was broken but apart from that (and the blades being slightly bent) it was in quite good nick;

Farmman very kindly supplied me with a replacement spring, and so I spent a little bit of time sprucing her (Mary I called her after Mary Malone from 'His Dark Materials') up.

Here's the finished result;

I'm really pleased with it - I love the magnifying glass, and I like the older materials too - solid scales, slightly thicker tang on the main blade, I definitely prefer the old style Mag, and the corkscrew has the fluting. Also the scissors have the screw pivot rather than the rivet er.... pivot. The in line screwdriver is great.

Anyhoo, a big thanks to Farmman for his generosity, and of course my lovely daughter.

The Explorer has replaced my Huntsman as EDC for now while I'm trying it out, but so far I'm very impressed.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Farmman

Re: Birthday Explorer
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:14:47 PM
Looking good mate. Pleasure to help.

gb Offline Ross

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:01 PM
That's really nice and cleaned up well. That was good hunting by your Daughter she has done you proud :).

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:52:43 PM
I love reading stories like this of preservation of SAKs.  I gotta say it looks terrific and should offer you years of good service.  Out of all my spare parts I have big and small scissor springs but I hope to never have to use them (I hear they're a pain to replace). 

Anyhow, thanks for sharing - excellent work!!   :cheers:
SAW

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:26 AM
That's really nice and cleaned up well. That was good hunting by your Daughter she has done you proud :).

She has! She checked out the blade play and condition of all the tools (including the snap) before making a low ball offer and then worked out a fair price. I was very proud.

I love reading stories like this of preservation of SAKs.  I gotta say it looks terrific and should offer you years of good service.  Out of all my spare parts I have big and small scissor springs but I hope to never have to use them (I hear they're a pain to replace). 

Anyhow, thanks for sharing - excellent work!!   :cheers:

Cheers - the scissor spring wasn't that difficult to replace - I read a thread here somewhere and just followed that.

I love the idea of putting life back into old tools - I don't think I've ever had a brand new SAK - all second hand with the scuffs and scrapes and stories that come with age and use.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline macabee

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:36:02 PM
My lovely daughter bought me a Vic Explorer from our local antique shop for my birthday. She knocked them down to £7.50 after checking out the condition.

The blades were a bit grubby and the scissor spring was broken but apart from that (and the blades being slightly bent) it was in quite good nick;

Farmman very kindly supplied me with a replacement spring, and so I spent a little bit of time sprucing her (Mary I called her after Mary Malone from 'His Dark Materials') up.

Here's the finished result;

I'm really pleased with it - I love the magnifying glass, and I like the older materials too - solid scales, slightly thicker tang on the main blade, I definitely prefer the old style Mag, and the corkscrew has the fluting. Also the scissors have the screw pivot rather than the rivet er.... pivot. The in line screwdriver is great.

Anyhoo, a big thanks to Farmman for his generosity, and of course my lovely daughter.

The Explorer has replaced my Huntsman as EDC for now while I'm trying it out, but so far I'm very impressed.

Nice one :tu:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28