Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Classic threat in NYC.

cbl51 · 25 · 2632

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Classic threat in NYC.
on: June 01, 2013, 02:45:53 PM
So, we just got back frm an overnight trip to NYC, where we like to go a couple times a year. Great food, museums, shows. It had been many years since we'd been up in the Empire state building to admire the view, so we went through the line.

Then we hit the security. My little Vic classic that is my NYC knife, was deemed a threat, and could make it through security. A classic. A wee tiny little classic.  :think:

But at least they had a system set up to handle it, so I didn't have to resort to trudging back to the hotel or stashing it in a planter box outside. They gave me a paper bag that had a taag on it, and the clasic went in the bag, a numbered stub was torn off and handled to me like a coat check tag. We did out sight seeing thing, and I had to go back and claim my little tiny SAK. It was all done very civilized, but just inconvenient.

This is the very first time my little SAK has caused a problem in NYC.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Offline Theron

Re: Classic threat in NYC.
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:26:52 PM
Sad.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:35:42 PM
This is such a stupid situation that it makes me so mad.  I'm tired of all this fricken any knife is a threat B***S***.  New York might as well be some place in Utah they certainly are not a world center anymore if they have act like stupid TSA agents at every corner and make laws that don't belong in a democratic country.

Next they are going to try to put people in straight jackets at important events because your hands could be dangerous.  It seems like politicials have a new moto, "when in doubt fall back on stupidity".   While the **** are worrying about pocket knives and nail clippers the real threats are brewing up chemical weapons, IEDs, and cyber-attacks.    :facepalm:

I've never seen such a good example of when democrocy does not work.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:37:30 PM by ICanFixThat »

england Offline hennypenny

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
Gosh. I can't believe this is now happening in the US as well. I thought we were the only backward country in the UK...... utterly ridiculous!!!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:55:24 PM
Gosh. I can't believe this is now happening in the US as well. I thought we were the only backward country in the UK...... utterly ridiculous!!!

It sure took me by surprise. The last time I was in England, I carried a classic, and nobody said a single thing. Not even at the British museum. But NYC is getting a little ridiculous. We enjoy our time there, but this is defiantly putting a damper on things. Everything you buy in NYC is packaged in plastic, and it's hard for senior citizen fingers to unwrap without a nice small sharp knife. And the scissors and SD tipped nailfile have come in handy now and then, as well.

I guess this is progress of a civilized people??????

We're doomed.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:25:37 PM
The good old days when Crocodile Dundee carried has saber long Bowie knife during his promenade in NY are gone for good.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:30:05 PM
And they should put Jackie Chan or Jet Lee in a straight jacket. They seem more dangerous unarmed than me with a FN Minimi.
And Chuck Norris should be preventively exiled. Just don't send him in Greece please.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:57 PM
And they should put Jackie Chan or Jet Lee in a straight jacket. They seem more dangerous unarmed than me with a FN Minimi.
And Chuck Norris should be preventively exiled. Just don't send him in Greece please.

I heard a rumor that without his beard, Norris is harmless.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:37:03 PM
At least you werent arrested.  One of the cases kniferights contributed legal fees to was for a person arrested for carrying a classic.  Apparently you cant carry it visible, and it was hanging out of his pocket.  I dont understand NY laws.

People really find ways to ruin everything dont they.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 06:46:44 PM
As sad as this story is,lets look at the bright side...the Security types at the Empire State dealt with it sensibly.There was no move to confiscate the SAK on a permanent basis,and clb51 got this little friend back!

If not a win,at least its a score draw!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:54 PM
As sad as this story is,lets look at the bright side...the Security types at the Empire State dealt with it sensibly.There was no move to confiscate the SAK on a permanent basis,and clb51 got this little friend back!

If not a win,at least its a score draw!

Oh they were very polite about it, almost apologetic. It was a " I'm very sorry sir, but you can't have a knife on these premisses. I'm afraid you have to check that at he counter over there, and pick it up when you leave."

They made it very painless and easy. I guess they don't want to piss off the tourists. But I've had NYC cops see my knife in other venues. My wife and I on another day/overnight trip to the city deceided to have an impromptu picnic in Central Park. We picked up lunch makings from a great little delly and walked over to the park. My knife that trip was a Victorinox waiter, and I used it to make our corned beef on rye sandwiches, slice a nice kosher dill pickle, and open some plastic mustard packs. It was sitting on the table still smeared with mustard, when a NYC cop on a horse came by. My wife complimented him on the gorgeous horse he was on, (she's a horse person) and they chatted for a bit, with him onhis horse right there by our picnic table. The nice red recruit was in plain viewm ans I know he saw it, but said nothing. I think it's all in what you're doing and who you are.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:20:35 PM
That's annoying but lets remember that is private property and they can make whatever rules they want. I'm just glad I don't live in a place that has any unreasonable knife laws.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 09:16:48 PM
Get a rope ....  :rant:
SAW

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:34 PM

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18:22 PM
A couple of years ago,I got pulled up at Belfast City Airport for having a small bottle of thyme in my hold baggage!

Security were very nice(Heathrow take note!),and after exchanging a few recipes.... :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:24 PM
In August 2001 I was on a family vacation in Washington DC.  We went to the Capitol building, and when I emptied my pockets I realized to my horror that my Tinker was where it always was, left front pocket.  The Capitol police were very nice about it, and held it for me while we went on the tour.  They handed it back when we left, with a comment of, "nice little knife".  Note the date-I don't want to think what would happen in that situation nowadays....  I had a Classic confiscated from my keys at a Devils game a couple years ago.  Now when I go to a game I still carry one-in my wallet.  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 12:21:09 AM

I heard a rumor that without his beard, Norris is harmless.

I heard a rumor that there isn't a chin under Chuck Norris's beard...  there's another fist.

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 04:13:22 AM
Wow, that is sad.  I don't do much travelling myself, so I don't encounter this problem, but I would be very annoyed if I did.  The smallest SAK I have is my Executive, and I don't consider that a weapon by any stretch of the imagination.  At least they were good about it and you didn't have to give it up for good. 

The closest I come to anything like this is when I occasionally have to deliver documents from work to the Registry of Deeds at the town courthouse.  One of the times I did this, there were a couple officers at the entry and they had to check what I was delivering and ask what I had on me.  At that time I was only carrying my Gerber EAB (before I got into MTs/SAKs), and I had to leave it in a little tub with them and get it on my way back out.  Most times I have to go there, there's nobody standing there to check me out, but once in a while there is.  Considering my EDC nowadays (usually a full size MT, a couple SAKs and a tacpen), I figure I am better off to just empty my pockets in the car rather than take my chances that they may be there and wonder why I carry so much stuff ;)  I'm only there long enough to drop the documents off and leave, so it's no big deal.  Still a little annoying though.
K-Tibbs

ch Offline pawn

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:54 AM
I went to the US last fall, to NY and Washington DC, and had the same problem in the Empire State Building with a Leatherman PS4 and a classic. And I can say the same, it was handled very nicely with the 'coat-tag' by the security.
In Washington it was VERY different! I went to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and they had metal-detectors at the entrance. They told me there was a knife in my bag and I had to leave immediately. I wanted to take the knife out to show them that it's very small (had only the classic with me...). The security lady took my hands and stopped me and told me again to leave NOW! I really couldn't understand it. What are they trying to protect? Are they afraid I scratch the space shuttle? WTF?

Edit: On the other hand, I flew from dubai to switzerland pre-9/11 with a huntsman in my pocket, I was perhaps 16 years old. The security officer in dubai was like: " Show me this in your pocket!!!", I gave him the knife, ...he plays with it for 2 minutes and gives it back with a smile "Nice knife!!!"...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:44:58 AM by pawn »

scotland Offline xt60043f

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37:44 AM
I remember on one occasion taking a flight from Edinburgh to London (UK internal flight), they confiscated the 5mm allen key that was on my keyring.  Yes, an allen key.  :facepalm:

They then took the opportunity to search my bag in case I had any other weapons of mass retard on me.
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

england Offline macabee

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:04 PM
What a sad *&$@i*g world we live in  :ahhh
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 09:46:36 PM
equally in 2007 I flew to the US and back with a small SAK and a Swisscard in my handluggage without issue and didn't find they were there until I was unpacking at home.

Silly really.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:56 AM
Had a 3/8" open end wrench that I had forgotten in my jacket pocket from when I was using it on something the day before I flew to the west coast confiscated. When I politely asked the reason, I was told it could potentially be used to dismantle aircraft systems. I should mention that this was less than a year after 9/11 so TSA was still even goofier than now days.

The TSA agent failed to see the humor when I mentioned that I thought aircraft were all metric. I shut up before he booted me off the flight altogether. Sometimes the level of ridicules is amazing. Oh well.

Joe
🇨🇭

scotland Offline xt60043f

Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:28 AM
Yeah? Maybe the plane was built with M9.5 bolts.  Nice try terrorist!  :facepalm:
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:12 AM
:sa:

Ash's mobile on the move.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00