Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Battle of the X-es, Vic Swisstool vrs Spirit

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Battle of the X-es, Vic Swisstool vrs Spirit
on: June 19, 2013, 08:12:39 PM
This is a comparison of the X models of the Victorinox multitools, Victorinox Swisstool X and its little brother, the Victorinox Spirit X. I'll try to do a side by side comparison of the implements on both with a few thoughts on each of them.

First of, the general size of them.

Swisstool X
Length   115 mm
Width      35 mm
Height     18 mm
Weight   280 g

Spirit X
Length   105 mm
Width      35 mm (at the widest points)
Height     16 mm
Weight   210 g

The Swisstool is a bit boxy though while the Spirit has more ergonomically shaped handles.

Pliers on both these tools are strong and perform well. The wire cutters are excellent for cutting thick wire. I tried them even on thick fencing wire and they performed wonderfully without any mark to the cutters. It can sometimes be a bit tricky with the Swisstool to get a strong grip due to the slipperiness of the polished handles (my hand kept slipping forward) but when you get a good grip or wear gloves they do the work well.  They don't do so well on stranded wire though, they keep chewing them up instead of cutting them, but you can use the scissors for those to do the job. ;)

The Swisstool X can also be used as a measuring device. :D There are both metric (23cm in 1mm increments) and imperial (9in in 1/8in increments) markings on the handles and the pliers have a half stop that locks the pliers in the position shown below. Due to the curved shape of the Spirit this wasn't possible there.

Both the X-es have good knife blades with the Swisstool one being bigger of course. The one on the Spirit has a bit of an odd shape for a Vic blade. It's the same length as the main blade on a 91mm Vic knife with a tad thicker spine that isn't as tapered to the tip as the 91mm and a much slimmer blade. 

Here they are both next to a 93mm Wenger SI blade. (Yes, I know, ::) but it was what I had in my pocket when I was taking the pics and despite the small differences a 93mm blade is a 93mm blade ;) )

The Swisstool blade is somewhat slimmer than a standard Soldier or Pioneer blade but a few mm longer too. I'd like to see Vic make some Alox Solos or Pioneers using this blade. :D Both the Swisstool and Spirit blades do well on cutting though as all the Vic blades do.

Both the saws have two directional teeth and both do their job well but I prefer the Swisstool saw here as it's a bit longer and has a thinner spine (unfortunately I don't have any means to measure something so thin :( ) meaning you'll need to make fewer cuts and saw away less material with every cut than with the thicker spined Spirit. :tu: 

Swisstool scissors win over the Spirit ones no question. Yes, the ones on the Spirit have a stronger spring but the fixed side on them is very thick and the opening on them is very small so their usability is somewhat limited. They were the only disappointing factor for me when I first got the Spirit. They do work well on stranded wire though. >:D As for the Swisstool scissors. They are basically the 91mm scissors we all know and love. So why mess with perfection. :D

Now the files. The one on the Spirit is excellent, both fine and rough sides and again thicker than on the Swisstool. But in this case I like the file to be thicker. I rarely use the file for cutting so a thicker, less bendy file get a +1 from me. Also the surface area of the file on the Swisstool just seems too fine to me compared to the Spirit one. I don't know if that's just the case on mine or others too though. :shrug:

Both the phillips drivers work fine and I haven't experienced any slippage on any of them and they have a decent enough reach. The only thing I dislike on the Swisstool driver (and on some of its other implements) is its shape past the first centimeter or so. Why the added metal? It's not like the driver isn't strong enough so you need to add support to it and it will only hinder it's functionality on recessed screws or in hard to reach places. :( I prefer the Spirit one here.

Big flat head screwdriver/bottle opener/prybar combo tool on the Spirit is far more substantial than the two tools that take it's place on the Swisstool. All three tools do the job they are designed for well, but I like the centre position and the feel of the Spirit combo tool better. Just personal preference. :shrug: Also the wire insulation notch is a bit bigger on the Spirit but I have yet to use that notch for it's intended purpose. I sometimes use it for bending wires and that's it. :D

The chisel/scraper electricians blade tool is much better on the Spirit in my opinion. The chisel part has a more acute grind to it and that 90°ish degree sharpened tip that can be useful sometimes. The wire stripping blade on the Spirit also has a bigger opening for thicker wires as usually found on electricians knives for cutting into insulation before stripping. Much better design that the small cutouts on the Swisstool.

Can opener on both of them is the standard Vic can opener we know well. No big differences here. The small flat head portion on the top is bigger on the Spirit, but with a dedicated small flat head screwdriver you won't be using that one anyway.

Small flat head screwdriver is a bit bigger on the Spirit but I give extra points to it due to the bottom portion of the base of the screwdriver again.

Both awls are good and basically the same so no points to be given here.

Now as for the supplied sheaths. While both of them are of decent quality, the Swisstool one just feels better made with higher quality leather. :shrug: I don't like the fact that they use velcro as a closure method and that small patch doesn't inspire confidence in me. Also they sit kind of high on my belt and keep poking me when I turn or bend to the side which I don't like. I prefer horizontal carry sheaths and these don't offer that option. Luckily there are lots of other sheath options from both Victorinox and other manufacturers so you can replace them if you feel the same as me. :D

In conclusion, they are both fine tools and you'll be happy with both of them, it just depends on your personal preference and the tools you use on a multitool the most. If you don't mind the weight of the Swisstool and need stronger bigger pliers, bigger knife, bigger saw, bigger scissors, ... :D the Swisstool will serve you well. For EDC I prefer the Spirit. ;)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:38:15 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Battle of the X-es, Vic Swisstool vrs Spirit
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:01:58 PM
Nice comparison. After using the Spirit X for a few years now with different things I just don't need the bigger Swisstool.
However for the life of me I can't tell which side of the file is finer
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:36 PM
If you'd have posted this a year ago it would have saved me a LOT of money and time  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:50 PM
Nice comparison. After using the Spirit X for a few years now with different things I just don't need the bigger Swisstool.

The side towards the handle is definitely finer on mine.

If you'd have posted this a year ago it would have saved me a LOT of money and time  :facepalm:

And where's the fun in that. :P The spirit of MTO is GET THEM ALL. >:D

So which one would you have chosen? :D

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:09 PM
Great comparison.  :salute: I like both tools well and agree on those few differences you mention. I have "used" my SwissTool but the Spirit stays in its pouch untouched since photography time.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:25:55 PM

The side towards the handle is definitely finer on mine.

And where's the fun in that. :P The spirit of MTO is GET THEM ALL. >:D

So which one would you have chosen? :D
I couldn't get on with the Swisstool  ::) i've been around the block and tried a few since then, just got a 'Spirit' and I love it  :D where's the sense  :ahhh (swiss tool was 'lacking' scissors mind  :twak:)

Offline Theron

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:17:04 AM
The SwissTool nylon pouch with the snap carries nice and low, still vertical only though.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:21:19 AM
I just came here for the pun in the title. :D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:35:27 AM
Good review , I prefer the Spirit X for EDC too .

Chris

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:19 PM
Another great detailed comparison between the SwissTool and Spirit! It's fun to see the small design changes that went into the Spirit, to improve weight and accomodate the different shape without losing strength. I weighed a SwissTool, Spirit S, and Wave the other week just out of curiosity, and was surprised to find that the Spirit only weighs 75% of what the SwissTool does. Not only that, but the Wave weighs about right between the two, at ~240g. For my EDC, you can't get much closer to perfection than a Spirit S on the belt and a Compact in the pocket.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:22:04 PM
Very Nice comparison.  I don't know about the scores I just know the Spirit is the International Champion.

:salute:

Offline Theron

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:06 PM
I really prefer the SwissTool for the better scissors and blade.
Both are unnoticeable on my belt.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:50:44 PM
I only have the Spirit (butterblade), but I've considered the Swisstool before.  I don't think there's much point to getting one at this point in my MT life, unless it was simply for a new toy ;)  I've always been curious about the Swisstool since I got the Spirit though.  It does seem like there were improvements made to some of the tools for Spirit though.  I like the bottle opener/prybar as well, and it's surprising how much beefier it is than the Swisstool's two separate tools, or that they didn't just do the same thing for the Swisstool and free up a possible spot for something else.  Oh well.  The Spirit is an excellent example of Swiss engineering, and I'm sure the big brother is the same :tu:
K-Tibbs

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00:22 PM
What surprised me was that the Swisstool had so much thinner saw and file. The difference is very visible in this picture, the far right tools on both. As I said I consider that a plus for the saw but a minus for the file on the Swisstool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:19 PM
Wow, that is a considerable difference indeed.  One would think the larger Swisstool would have the beefier tools.  It's actually not all that much thicker than the Spirit is it?  I would probably say that the Spirit may be the better MT overall between the two of them.  However, I've never handled/used a Swisstool, so who's to say I may or may not think otherwise if I were to do so :think:
K-Tibbs

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:10 PM
Wow, that is a considerable difference indeed.  One would think the larger Swisstool would have the beefier tools.  It's actually not all that much thicker than the Spirit is it?  I would probably say that the Spirit may be the better MT overall between the two of them.  However, I've never handled/used a Swisstool, so who's to say I may or may not think otherwise if I were to do so :think:
fetch your wallet my good man, you need to go shopping  ::)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 06:35:32 PM
Nice comparison Nikola  :tu:  Another nice feature on the Swisstool along with the rule is the square. This helped my father and I assemble a greenhouse at my parents' home a couple of years back.

The Spirit X has got to be my favourite pocket tool of all of them, and the Swisstool CS Plus (X model with extras) is my favourite for bag carry. There are times and situations where a different tool may be more appropriate (should you need a serrated blade, or OHO, or non-locking or whatever), but for general purpose carry and not knowing what the day might have in store, these two tools are magnificent

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 06:43:00 PM
Battle of he X-es! Love it.  This is like trying to chose between an awesome MT and an awesome MT!  I think any MT aquire'r need boths.  I like both, and use them.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:04 PM

Yeah, my wallet's not too happy with me after getting two mods ;)  I think my Spirit (butterblade) will have to suffice...for now >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:30 PM
I only have a SwissTool myself, a new BO regular with two blades (including the new style for the  serrated one). I do not miss the scissors and I prefer the second blade. I like it and I am now waiting my second, in plain silver. The Spirits seem to be more refined but I prefer the larger siblings - at least for now, until I get to handle a Spirit.

:multi:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:47 PM
For me , the Spirit does 98% of what I want a Multi for , with less weight , bulk , and with better ergonomics . I've owned both a Swisstools , and Spirits - all I have at present is one Spirit X .

Chris

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:54 PM

Yeah, my wallet's not too happy with me after getting two mods ;)  I think my Spirit (butterblade) will have to suffice...for now >:D

There must be some room for another tool in your rotation ...  :pok:

Anyway, here's a pic from my Swisstool and two of my Spirits:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:11 PM
@ enki_ck:   Great review with great pics  :clap:.

I like the Swisstool a lot, but the Spirit is my all time favorite. It's smaller and therefore one might think it's not as sturdy as the Swisstool, but when you look at the tools, most of them are thicker on the Spirit.  And the locks on the Spirit are also in another league than the ones on the Swisstool (the ones on the Swisstool are ok, but there's more chance on a bit of play on some of them, while the ones on the Spirit feel very solid).

I know a lot of people are not so keen on the scissors on the Spirit, but I like them more than the ones on the Swisstool, they don't open very wide, but they have never failed me, and I like the feel of them (more sturdy in my opinion).

Anyway, opening the Swisstool feels awesome, the way the handles stop at the 90° position ...  :o
I find myself opening and closing the Swisstool for no other purpose than the joy of it.

Greetings  :salute:.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. :salute:

I find myself opening and closing the Swisstool for no other purpose than the joy of it.

We all do that. :D And not only with the Swisstool. ;)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:12 AM

So true my friend ;)  I love doing that :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 01:48:25 AM

There must be some room for another tool in your rotation ...  :pok:

Anyway, here's a pic from my Swisstool and two of my Spirits:

Oh there's always room for another weekly slot in my rotation :D  Oh that's right, you have like what?...27 Spirits right?   :pok:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 03:32:05 AM

I've been doing that all day with my new mini tool. So much that the outside corners have given me red marks and blood blisters on the palms of my hands. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:04 AM

I've been doing that all day with my new mini tool. So much that the outside corners have given me red marks and blood blisters on the palms of my hands. :)

You'll go blind too if you're not careful  :P :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 01:19:48 PM

:D

Oh, and thanks for the square idea, Al. Never thought of using it like that. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:12 PM

:D

Oh, and thanks for the square idea, Al. Never thought of using it like that. :tu:

:tu: It was in the instruction manual on mine, so it is an actual factory made feature of the tool  ;)

Needless to say, I wouldn't try it with a Spirit  :P :D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69