Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Bolt Action Service Rifle.

Poll

So in you opinion what is the greatest bolt action service arm out there?

Lee Enfield .303 Family
6 (42.9%)
Mauser 1888 8mm
0 (0%)
Lebel 1886 8mm
0 (0%)
Steyr Manlicher family
0 (0%)
Mauser 1898 family
2 (14.3%)
Moisin Nagant 7.62mm
1 (7.1%)
Schmidt Rubin 7.5
0 (0%)
Berthier 8mm
0 (0%)
Mas 36 7.5
1 (7.1%)
Krag-Jorgensen .30 cal
0 (0%)
Ross 303
0 (0%)
Arisaka 7.7 and 6.5
0 (0%)
Springfield .30
3 (21.4%)
Italian Mannlicher Carcano 6.5
0 (0%)
P1914 Enfield/Mauser
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Best Bolt Action Service Rifle.
Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:18 PM
Isn't the Springfield and Mauser almost the same design? :think:
They definately use the SAME stripper clips :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:20 PM
Isn't the Springfield and Mauser almost the same design? :think:
They definately use the SAME stripper clips :think:
               Yep,you're right.The US Govt had to pay a licensing fee to Mauser in order to make the '03. A little factoid is that Remington's agent in Europe,had originally bought the rights and patents from Karl Mauser,but Remington's highest level management thought the agent overstepped his bounds and cancelled the purchase.
I

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 03:09:15 PM
I had an SMLE for awhile.I always felt the same way about it as several of you fine folks do.The weapon was quick to cycle,especially for a bolt action.It was reasonably accurate out to 200 yards.The cartridge has a decent amount of oomph.The rifle was built to take alot of punishment.Wht I liked most of all was the detachable magazine.To bad it was not a 30-06.I wish I nvere got rid of mine :cry:Oh well.

dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:17 PM
So when will the semi auto service rifle thread start?

:D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 06:00:06 PM

My vote would go to the FN 49 on that one.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 11:01:29 PM

Truth is mate, I've no practical experience with Semi's as our lot banned them when I was 11 or 12, maybe someone else want's to wade in and start one :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Biru

Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:45 AM
I'd like to try the other bolts which you have on your list. Truth to tell, I've never knowingly been in the presence of any of them except the Enfield and Arisaka. I've always heard bad things about the Krags and have never seen a Springfield. The Mausers seem to carry a GREAT rep. The Arisaka I had supposedly had a chrome-lined barrel for longevity. It was a heavy rifle and I always felt for the poor Bushido who had to lug that thing about. It was just one of those rifles that you just wanted to put down. Not a good sign.

When you get that auto thing going, I want to pitch the Thompson Tommy Gun- the one with the WWII-era horizontal stock, not the gangster hand grip. Sure I'm old-fashioned, but that thing is still COOL. I've never seen one in the raw, but I have some DVDs of WWII jungle fighting and that rifle is neat.

Since you mentioned it, do British gun laws allow you to have the bolt action rifles? I had understood that shotguns were the primary allowable weapons.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 01:15:45 AM
If I had my druthers for going to war back then..it would've been the Winchester 95 lever action chambered in 30.06.

Do we start a semi-auto thread next, or shall we delve into lever guns first?  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:24 AM
I'd like to try the other bolts which you have on your list. Truth to tell, I've never knowingly been in the presence of any of them except the Enfield and Arisaka. I've always heard bad things about the Krags and have never seen a Springfield. The Mausers seem to carry a GREAT rep. The Arisaka I had supposedly had a chrome-lined barrel for longevity. It was a heavy rifle and I always felt for the poor Bushido who had to lug that thing about. It was just one of those rifles that you just wanted to put down. Not a good sign.

When you get that auto thing going, I want to pitch the Thompson Tommy Gun- the one with the WWII-era horizontal stock, not the gangster hand grip. Sure I'm old-fashioned, but that thing is still COOL. I've never seen one in the raw, but I have some DVDs of WWII jungle fighting and that rifle is neat.

Since you mentioned it, do British gun laws allow you to have the bolt action rifles? I had understood that shotguns were the primary allowable weapons.
No we are allowed bolt action rifle's :), the trouble is there is such a huge ammount of hassel and expence in getting any type of gun that most of us (me included) just don't bother :(

Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 08:56:40 AM
If I had my druthers for going to war back then..it would've been the Winchester 95 lever action chambered in 30.06.

Do we start a semi-auto thread next, or shall we delve into lever guns first?  :)
Lever action's are fine by me, not a combat riflem but I think 'yellow boys' are gorgeous :drool:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 04:01:39 PM
There was a small batch of the Savage 99 made for a military contract back at the turn of the 20th century.Several years ago, I collected American Civil War firearms,and the prize piece was a Spencer carbine,it was surprisingly heavy for a cavalry weapon.A few years after the war,Winchester bought up the rights and patents to the Spencer,as well as the Whitney lever action to keep competition to it's own lever guns to a minimum.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 05:25:17 AM
...and the Model 1895 Winchester that Bob referred to was made in large quantities for export to the Czar's armies in Russia. (I believe I read that more were exported to Russia than were sold in the U.S.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:23 AM
I love lever action rifles. There's gobs and gobs of Marlin and Winchester 30-30's around here.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:20 AM
...and the Model 1895 Winchester that Bob referred to was made in large quantities for export to the Czar's armies in Russia. (I believe I read that more were exported to Russia than were sold in the U.S.)
Wasn't that Teddys favourite rifle ???

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 03:25:53 PM
                The '95 in .405 Winchester was Teddy's favorite,a few years ago when Winchester was still making lever guns,they made a small limited edition run of a reproduction of Teddy's rifle.

It's been many years since I read this,so my numbers may be wrong,but I think that something like over 250,000 '95's were made for the Russians in WWI.Several years ago, a company ran ads in Shotgun News selling the actions of Czarist 95's.
I

Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 04:01:32 PM
It would certainly have given the Russians a lot more firepower (well at least in rate of fire) than the old Moisin Nagant :)

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 05:42:36 PM
                The '95 in .405 Winchester was Teddy's favorite,a few years ago when Winchester was still making lever guns,they made a small limited edition run of a reproduction of Teddy's rifle.

It's been many years since I read this,so my numbers may be wrong,but I think that something like over 250,000 '95's were made for the Russians in WWI.Several years ago, a company ran ads in Shotgun News selling the actions of Czarist 95's.

If I am correct I believe that TR took 95's to Cuba chambered in 30-40 Krag.Maybe a better history buff can help me on that one.I think he armed his "Rough Riders" with them.

dtrain

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:03 AM
The Rough Riders were one of the very few units not in the Regular Army to carry Krag carbines. About all militia regiments still carried Trapdoor Springfields. On a side note,Teddy carried at least one Colt SAA revolver that was recovered from the USS Maine.
I

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 05:56:50 PM
The Rough Riders were one of the very few units not in the Regular Army to carry Krag carbines. About all militia regiments still carried Trapdoor Springfields. On a side note,Teddy carried at least one Colt SAA revolver that was recovered from the USS Maine.

Were they the 1895's or the bolt actions?

Dtrain

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 11:54:47 PM
The requirements of this re-enactment group state the Krag carbine

ttp://www.spanamwar.com/ktrooporganize.htm
I

Donations

Operational Funds