Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Bullrush mini photo review.

Chako · 23 · 9025

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Bullrush mini photo review.
on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:26 AM
Well I finally got this tool in the door today and thought I would share some  photos and some of my personal views on the tool.

I will start by saying that I am not a big fan of these Gerber butterfly opening tools. As per another thread, there was a lot of mention of comparing this newer design to the older Crucial design. I thought that would be a good photo comparison, as indeed, when I first saw the Bullrush in person, the Crucial did come first to mind as they are very similar in design.

Now as I was saying, I am not a big fan of these designs, mostly in part of the handle geometry. I always find my hands wanting to slip up towards the plier head whilst squeezing the handles. I just can't abide the shape of the handles. I am sorry to see that the Bullrush has the same rounded handle design as the older Crucial line.

Now onto the photos.

The first thing you will notice is that the Bullrush is larger than the Crucial. Another thing that is noticeable, the Bullrush has much nicer G10 textured handles. I like that there are these little cut outs in the G10 material showing the name on the underside metal assembly. It does make for a nice visual effect.

Looking on the back of each tool, you will note that the Bullrush does not have a built in clip like the Crucial. Instead, the Bullrush comes with a standard Gerber Sheath.

Another thing that is different, the Bullrush features spring loaded pliers. These do feel a bit different from other like offerings, even from Gerber. When you press the handles together, it is not quite that smooth. How to best describe this...there is a slight ratcheting feedback to the spring action.

As most of you know, there are about 4 or so different Crucial models out there that feature a different tool loud-out. I selected this one as it is very similar to the Bullrush. As you can see, there is a slightly longer and better Phillips found on the Bullrush. The blades are the same. So are the V cutters except for slight cosmetics. Come to it, the tool load-out for both models is very similar.

Here you can see that the blades are basically the same in both the Bullrush and the Crucial.

The Bullrush does have this located on the backside just under the finger stud fasteners.

Also, the Bullrush on the left is thicker...which is not that surprising considering that the Bullrush is larger than the Crucial in general form factor.

Now for some close-ups.

Here you can see how the G10 handle material was cut away to show marking details imprinted on the metal underlay.

Some of the handle details on the Bullrush are beautiful and functional. The cutouts not only make the Bullrush look that much nicer, it does make the handles very comfortable to use. I still don't like the overall shape of the tool's handles though.

Well, so what do I think? The Bullrush is a little nicer than the Crucial. The handle material sure does add to the overall feel of the tool. A little larger is ok in my books as well, considering that the Bullrush does seem to fit my hand better. The contouring not only adds a nice splash of design, but also adds to the overall tool comfort. However, the Bullrush, much like the Crucial lineup suffers from bad  handle geometry...at least to my liking. I find my big paws always want to creep upwards towards the pliers. Not sure why Gerber keeps making butterfly opening MTs with this design. To me, it is a major design flaw. I love aesthetics, but not at the cost of function. But that is my own personal opinion. I am sure there are plenty of folks that don't mind the shape of these tools.

Now here is the weird stuff. Considering that both of these tools that are in these photograhs are so much alike...if you already own the Crucial seen here, there is no reason, in my humble opinion, to go out and buy the Bullrush. You would only gain a little more comfort...but these are virtually the same tool, or are so similar that it is hard to draw a line between them. What differences that exist are relatively minor. On the other hand, if you are a fan of spring loaded pliers, than the Bullrush might make sense. I will say however, that my example has a weird ratcheting feel to them. Not what I would call smooth by any stretch of the imagination. I guess one could get used to them...or more important, if you don't know better, you wouldn't probably notice this.

So there you have it. Is the Bullrush right for you? Only you can decide. :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:17:15 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Gerber Bullrush mini photo review.
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:18:49 AM
Good review.  :tu: I too, am baffled as to the need to develop this tool on Gerbers part. It seems so similar to the Crucial.  ???
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:38:59 AM
Great review!  :tu:
I bet the Bullrush will replace the Cruicial in Gerbers tool lineup.
The longer 3D phillips looks like a nice improvement from the Cruisial.  Just wish they would make a PE version, then I would probably buy one.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:28 AM
Yes indeed. Having both the Bullrush and that version of the Crucial in Gerber's lineup seems a bit redundant to my thinking.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:53:25 AM
Thanks for the insight and piccies  :tu:

If the pliers are spring loaded, and they have put the spring assembly inside the plier head as they have done on previous models, I'd venture that this makes the pliers weaker than the Crucial by having less material at the pivot where all the forces are concentrated.

Another thing that I would say is a step backwards is the absence of a pocket clip, and I would imagine that would be more of a PITA to many people than the stumpy Phillips on the Crucial. Other than that, I too cannot figure out why they have bothered doing this  :think:

IMHO they got the first part of the name right on this model, but can think of a better suggestion for the second part  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:40 PM
Yes, the pliers are indeed internally spring loaded. However, you can see that that they did make the pliers on the Bullrush larger than those on the Crucial. I have no clue if these are now stronger, equal, or weaker at the pivot point compared to the Crucial. You can see they also thickened the jaw materials in the Bullrush to give it a nice proportion.

As for the clip, I agree. You do get a sheath instead.

No the biggest difference here are  the feel of the handles. G10 has a very nice feel, and the Bullrush does feel a bit better in the hands than the Crucial.

To me, the biggest detraction is that stylish curve in the handles. I just can't wrap my hands around any of these without fighting hand slippage towards the pliers.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:44:46 PM
Now, that's a proper name for a Gerber multitool. Well, almost. Next time I bet they'll get it right, changing the second synthetic.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:48 PM
Nice job with the write up and photos Dan :salute: Given that it is so similar to the established Crucial, I wonder why Gerber bothered even producing the Bullrush? :think: Developing and tooling up for a new product is a rather expensive exercise after all. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 03:19:10 PM
I agree Bob. Looking at the photos above, I have noticed they beefed up the hardware on the Bullrush...especially those metal plier stops. Is it possible that Gerber ran into some issues with the much smaller Crucial stops? Truth be know, I have no clue and am only guessing.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:43 PM
One thing that looks to be different are the cutters, the Crucial's cutting edges are a centralised 'v' cutter, the Bullrush's are offset to one side.  A much better arrangement IMO.  I still don't get why Gerber have done this, not unless we see the Crucial retired in the near future.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 08:59:42 PM
Well done Chako,we need more reviews like this!Ones that save me money rather than cost me money :tu:

Pity though...it looks pretty :dd:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:52 AM
Thanks for that Chako.  I was thinking about grabbing one, but seeing how similiar it is to the Crucial (which I dislike), I'll save my $$.  For now, at least......  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:30 AM
I'd buy it tho. I'm just a sucker for Gerber stuff. Great review as always chako!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 04:19:41 PM
My daughter gave me a Bullrush as a belated Christmas present, so here I am handling one for the first time today. Dan, your impressions are spot-on in my opinion. :salute:

Good:
Beefy construction all around, a very solid and well constructed tool.
A useful tool load out, including a proper wide Phillips.
Ample wire cutters (which I have yet to try out)

Not so good: The curve of the handles do not fit my hand at all. :-\ This poor form condition is much more inconvenient than for instance a Skeletool, because the Bullrush is so much bigger and thicker. Whether concave-against-my-palm or convex-against-my-palm, the handle shape makes my hand want to "ride up" towards the plier head when I try to hold it.

Also, the liner locks are somewhat blocked by the handle scales. You can deploy each of the blades one-handed, but in all cases I had to reach across with my other hand to depress the liner lock in order to fold them back closed again. :-\

One-hand opening, two-hand closing. :P

Just my initial observations though. Perhaps someone with larger hands would not have the same issues?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:22:49 PM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 06:46:18 PM
Welcome back Bob. Nice to see you once again on these forums. Yes, please let us know what you think of the Bullrush with some more clocked in time. Does your copy also have that rough rachety spring movement?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:39 PM
Welcome back Bob. Nice to see you once again on these forums. Yes, please let us know what you think of the Bullrush with some more clocked in time. Does your copy also have that rough rachety spring movement?

Cheers Dan! And no roughness on my plier jaw movement. It is actually quite smooth. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:09 AM
Figures. I can chalk my rough spring movement to overall character of my copy.  :D

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:09 AM
I purchased a Critical in green with corkscrew NIB from another MTO member and even though I have yet to use it much, what you all mention about these two models was better stated than I could have described. The shape of the critical when using the pliers wants to be flipped but then still does not feel right.

I do like the OHO blade and clip. Along with the corkscrew it holds a place between a larger LM and a SAK. Based on this review I don't think I'd like the Bullrush.

As always, thanks for the review and real world insights!   :tu:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 11:07:07 AM
I purchased a Critical in green with corkscrew NIB from another MTO member and even though I have yet to use it much, what you all mention about these two models was better stated than I could have described. The shape of the critical when using the pliers wants to be flipped but then still does not feel right.

I do like the OHO blade and clip. Along with the corkscrew it holds a place between a larger LM and a SAK. Based on this review I don't think I'd like the Bullrush.

As always, thanks for the review and real world insights!   :tu:

I think you meant the Crucial?  ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:56 PM
"I think you meant the Crucial?"

:oops: sorry for the misspelling, I had it wrong in my head somehow!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 10:54:38 PM
I didn't know there was a corkscrew edition. :ahhh
Leatherman

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 04:11:06 AM
Here's what it looks like. The corkscrew is a bit too soft but it sticks at half open so the cap lifter forms a handle of sorts. You have to open the cap lifter before the CS.

Overall not a bad little tool, especially with the OHO blade and pocket clip. Works great if you are right handed.
IMG_0349.jpg
* IMG_0349.jpg (Filesize: 191.35 KB)
IMG_0351.jpg
* IMG_0351.jpg (Filesize: 172.47 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:13:03 AM by n4vgm »

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:09 PM
  Great review sir!!  :salute:

I like the longer phillips and the G10 seems really nice but I don't think it justifies , at Bleast for me, all the extra width.  If it had a longer flat head, maybe. But for now, if I was to choose, the one would be the Crucial.

Great pics BTW!!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD