Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Star Trek thread

kirk13 · 145 · 9062

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: The Star Trek thread
Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 02:26:47 PM
Bit of a change from the practical,non sexist uniforms of ENT  :rofl:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 02:38:56 PM
Yes, non sexist, except that the women's uniforms had strategically placed padding in bosom and hip regions.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 05:52:56 PM
He really must be the most interesting man in the world for this

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:27 AM
Forgive me, but ive only ever seen the two modern films, i think id like star trek - so wheres the best place to begin?
I

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 12:18:06 AM
The Origional series,or the Next Generation...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 01:12:59 AM
Original series, Original series movies, then Enterprise, then Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, then Generations (Movie), then the rest of the Next Generation movies.

Or you could squeeze in generations and the Next Generation movies in before Deep Space 9.  Or you could skip DS9 all together since it was horrid.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 05:07:13 AM
I do like the uniform of the original series.

In the first season of The Next Generation....some of the guys were wearing those outfits too.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 10:48:21 AM
DS9 still worth watching even though B5 is better.

On a related note I watched into darkness earlier, liked it better than the first one. Chris Pine seems to have found his place and isn't trying to be as cocky as Shatner (I don't think anybody besides himself could pull that off!). The environment is interesting too compare to the utopian/cartoonish of the previous series.

I figured out what I didn't like about Voyager, the characters/environments/makeup are way too cartoony, probably the most of all the star trek franchise. Oh and as usual the token Asian guy gets shafted.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:52:05 AM by jzmtl »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 04:20:28 PM
DS9 still worth watching even though B5 is better.

On a related note I watched into darkness earlier, liked it better than the first one. Chris Pine seems to have found his place and isn't trying to be as cocky as Shatner (I don't think anybody besides himself could pull that off!). The environment is interesting too compare to the utopian/cartoonish of the previous series.

I figured out what I didn't like about Voyager, the characters/environments/makeup are way too cartoony, probably the most of all the star trek franchise. Oh and as usual the token Asian guy gets shafted.
:rofl:  I almost spit my coffee out when I read that!  :rofl:

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 05:13:43 PM
I really Liked Voyager,,,Having a Woman for a Captain was a great Move. Made getting lost in the Delta Quadrant Plausible
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:32 AM
I don't get the hate for DS9 here. I've only seen bits and pieces of Babylon 5, but the plot doesn't seem very similar to what DS9 did, other than that they are both on space stations. I agree DS9 definitely had some problems in the beginning (not as bad as Next Generation though, which I love, but which was god-awful for the first season at least). The characters are not likable, the episodes are kind of boring, but once the writers learned how to tie the episodes together to tell larger stories (which other Trek series almost never do) and to develop the characters over time it gets good. No other Trek has anything as epic as the Dominion War stuff.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 04:41:43 AM
I'm a huge Star Trek fan.  I've seen every version of the TV series, some even multiple times(currently going thru The Next Generation Blu-rays), but I can't stand DS9.  Watched and struggled my way thru the first season and absolutely hated it. 

Next Generation is my favorite, but Voyager and Enterprise are still much loved in my household. 

As to the movies, I love them all..  Really enjoyed the two newest ones.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:46 PM
I don't get the hate for DS9 here. I've only seen bits and pieces of Babylon 5, but the plot doesn't seem very similar to what DS9 did, other than that they are both on space stations. I agree DS9 definitely had some problems in the beginning (not as bad as Next Generation though, which I love, but which was god-awful for the first season at least). The characters are not likable, the episodes are kind of boring, but once the writers learned how to tie the episodes together to tell larger stories (which other Trek series almost never do) and to develop the characters over time it gets good. No other Trek has anything as epic as the Dominion War stuff.

No?  Enterprise had the Xindi, Next Generation had the Borg, Voyager had Species 830794629874053.... and Kirk had Space Gonorrhea.....   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 02:21:28 PM
You'd have to watch more B5 to see the similarity. It isnt so much the exact plot as the overall themes that are so similar. there was actually quite a bit of controversy over it because the creator of B5 originally pitched the show to Paramount and it was rejected, then all of a sudden those same producers popped out DS9 with a LOT of similarities right down to the characters. The big one being Odo: B5 was supposed to have a shape-shifting security chief but that got cut for budget reasons. The Narn are basically Bajorans, the Centauri are the Cardassians, both station commanders are religious icons, etc. Hell, even the Dominion War had a lot of parallels to the Shadow War.

As far as the Dominion war, I agree: Nothing else in Trek had that. The Xindi war from Enterprise comes the closest, but it still wasn't as long, large scale, or detailed a story arc as the Dominion War. The Borg were only on TNG for a couple (amazing) episodes (they were a much bigger plot point in Voyager), the Xindi war was more or less a single season and it felt like even the crew forgot it was going on half the time, and Species 8472 were only a smattering of episodes as well (and one of the better points of Voyager).

I ignored DS9 up until a few months ago, but I give it credit: it not only had better character development than the rest of the franchise, not to mention a real story arc that actually felt permanent and had consequences; it also had two of the best episodes in Trek history: In The Pale Moonlight, and Sacrifice Of Angels are both incredible. Easily up there with the likes of The Best Of Both Worlds, Chain Of Command, City On The Edge Of Forever, etc.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 02:57:18 PM
Frankly, what I feel has been the strength of Star Trek is "you can actually solve problems with the help of technology" and "our better natures actually can win out". Yet another gritty, dystopian future... well, there are a lot of people who do that better than any Star Trek setting. That said, the strangely clean sets of most Star Trek shows are really distracting from the stories. :)

I wanted to like the Enterprise series, because I really loved the concept of explorers with no backup and no second chances, but too much of the writing was, well... horrid. Much of Star Trek suffers from the characters having extreme privileges of power. They can do the right thing because with their Olympian might, they can afford to. There are rarely hard choices. Especially TNG suffered of this. It's pretty easy being compassionate to some warlike species who attacks you, when the same species really poses no credible threat.

(Quick aside: The protagonists getting a phone line, and then a reliable supply line, back home in Stargate Atlantis was a real disappointment for this viewer. It's like there is some taboo against portraying a world that actually is big and difficult without broadband connections and GPS.)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 03:10:25 PM
I've always been more of a casual trek fan, not feeling the need to watch it every week but more like there's nothing else interesting on... mostly TNG, occasionally DS9 or Voyager. Never watched Quantum Leap Trek.

I didn't really start following Stargate and watched it much the same as Trek until Atlantis, which even though they had a lot of filler EPs felt was cut short for Universe, which they dragged at the start and then cancelled just when it was starting to show a little promise.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 03:16:12 PM
I always felt like they did that in Atlantis because they decided fans would want to see more connection to SG-1, a way to keep SG-1 fans watching the new show. Hence Carter joining the show. It's stupid, sure, but it's something you see in spin-off series in all genres all the time because executives are afraid to take anything resembling a risk: "This new Stargate show is too far removed from SG-1, we might lose fans, I demand you connect the two series right now!"

Then when Stargate Universe tanks because it's boring, that same exec can point at it and say "See! It's because it wasn't connected to SG-1, I told them they couldn't do that!" and he gets a raise.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:57 PM
the Stargates were the only connection needed tbh.

I feel there is a definite lack of Space SciFi atm, be it trek, BSG, or otherwise.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 03:26:50 PM

I feel there is a definite lack of Space SciFi atm, be it trek, BSG, or otherwise.

Totally agree on all points.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:26 PM

I know I've said it a million times but bring back Firefly!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

za Offline jph0200

Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:24 PM
I liked the go uld , fake god angle in SG1.

Atlantis was ok but started falling flat
Universe was boring

Sent using Tapatalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

Is there a word for "I totally agree with the sentiment, but I feel the moment has passed"? :)

Also, I really wouldn't call Firefly SF. It's another ensemble driven Whedon series about created family,but a really great one. And it's the best space cowboy series ever!

That said, there was absolutely no real exploration angle in Firefly, but it's probably the best example mentioned till now about the concept of "no backup, no second chances" that I was saying I missed from SF on television now.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 06:23:59 PM

Is there a word for "I totally agree with the sentiment, but I feel the moment has passed"? :)

Also, I really wouldn't call Firefly SF. It's another ensemble driven Whedon series about created family,but a really great one. And it's the best space cowboy series ever!

That said, there was absolutely no real exploration angle in Firefly, but it's probably the best example mentioned till now about the concept of "no backup, no second chances" that I was saying I missed from SF on television now.

The thing is Whedon has said many times that he pretty much wrapped up everything he wanted to do with it with Serenity. Sure, you could jump to a point in time after Serenity, but you'd need a whole new angle for the show I just don't think it would feel the same. Sure it could be interesting, but just not the same.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 07:24:41 PM

I'd agree with this, DS9 vastly improved in later series.  Babylon 5 was a better show overall, but that doesn't mean DS9 was bad IMO.

I have to make a guilty announcement here though: much as I liked and watch TNG, DS9 and Voyager (not so much Enterprise), I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. :-[  Every time I have tried I am struck by just how dated they feel.  Also it always feels like I am watching people walking down sets, not corridors, interacting with props, not 'real' devices.  I'm sure it's just something to do with the way it's shot but I just don't seem to be able to immerse myself and feel that it's a real world. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:39 PM
More Firefly would be great, I feel like there's a whole lot of story left for them to do... hell if Stargate SG1 could beat a dead horse for 10 seasons, surely there's material for at least another 10 proper seasons worth of Firefly :D

I rewatched Space Above And Beyond a few years ago, and that's another one that got the axe too soon. I don't think they could revive it... maybe a reboot like BSG did.

They really need a new Star Trek series, otherwise where's Apple going to steal the next big thing idea from?  :whistle:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:16 PM
I have to make a guilty announcement here though: much as I liked and watch TNG, DS9 and Voyager (not so much Enterprise), I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. :-[  Every time I have tried I am struck by just how dated they feel.  Also it always feels like I am watching people walking down sets, not corridors, interacting with props, not 'real' devices.

Yeah, that's a good observation. I have some of the same feeling. The sets felt like sets, not worlds, even when I watched TNG when it was new, though. Also for DS9. Didn't watch Voyager before it was already dated, so not sure how I would have felt there. TOS is so dated it feels like a time capsule though, so it has a different kind of charm. I don't think the ST sets feeling fake has much to do with age, though, more the way they were designed. B5 still feels "real" when people walk down the corridor, even though we get a cut scene with extremely dated CGI.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 09:14:10 PM
True :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:37 PM

Yeah, that's a good observation. I have some of the same feeling. The sets felt like sets, not worlds, even when I watched TNG when it was new, though. Also for DS9. Didn't watch Voyager before it was already dated, so not sure how I would have felt there. TOS is so dated it feels like a time capsule though, so it has a different kind of charm. I don't think the ST sets feeling fake has much to do with age, though, more the way they were designed. B5 still feels "real" when people walk down the corridor, even though we get a cut scene with extremely dated CGI.

It goes back to star trek tend to be "cartoony", bright colors, clean surfaces, the design of things just doesn't match things we see everyday. Voyager is the worst, I mean look at the uniforms, clean large patches of singular bright color, people with slick makeup, it feels like watching a bunch of dolls playing dress up party. Also in a firefight, the new trend in the future is apparently hold and fire the rifle from your hip without aiming, walk directly toward your enemy standing tall and not seek any covers while dressed in a cotton shirt.

Enterprise is more in line with everyday things and it feels different.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:53:51 PM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 02:13:53 AM
You didn't ever need to aim in any of the Star Trek franchises. Unlike most sci fi where the laser beam fires out in line with the gun barrel like a projectile weapon, phasers often shot out at whatever angle they needed to in order to hit the target dead on.  :D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 02:30:27 AM

I rewatched Space Above And Beyond a few years ago, and that's another one that got the axe too soon. I don't think they could revive it... maybe a reboot like BSG did.

Space: Above and Beyond is one series that so desperately deserves another shot with a real budget.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%