Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm OHO?

Rich S · 16 · 1899

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
91mm OHO?
on: August 27, 2013, 07:18:03 PM
Does Vic make a 91 or 93 mm OHO? Can't seem to find one. The larger size OHO's
are just too large for pocket carry.

Thanks
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: 91mm OHO?
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:08:58 PM
No, sorry. Maybe someone could mod one?
T

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:55:23 PM
There was some discussion about that a while back. Syph was looking at making some damascas blades and I suggested adding a OHO loop to one as a Trial.
Being a non locking blade brings some problems in shaping the tang to allow easy opening, normal strength open rigidity for a slipjoint blade and enough closed tension to stop the blade creeping out in pocket.
I was going to try some mock-ups in mild steel but haven't got around to it.

I think there was one or two mods done with thumb studs.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:29:58 AM
Ya its totally doable, but the only thing Ive done in this area is with a thumbstud.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:00 PM
I know Halloween is over and the dead should rest again.

Has there any progress been made? I don't like the thumbstud but OHO 91mm (similar to the 111mm) would be shiny.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:15:04 PM
you might want to check out Wengers Titanium Series - While not the most beatiful SAKs on the Planet to most, they offer OHO and added capapaility like hex wrenches, Bit holder and Titaium scales with a locked blade.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:19:35 PM
Well there are other problems with a OHO 91 too.  The backspring is a bit too strong to open easily where the hole would be.  So it would have to be weakened.  Then since its not a lock blade, its not snaped open and held as firmly.  A OHO liner or frame lock 93 would be doable.  Id keep a backspring on it for retention when closed, and have a nice lock on open.  Oh boy.  Someday.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:14:00 PM
you might want to check out Wengers Titanium Series - While not the most beatiful SAKs on the Planet to most, they offer OHO and added capapaility like hex wrenches, Bit holder and Titaium scales with a locked blade.
I have seen them, though the limited choice of tools is what keeps me from them so far.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:15:12 PM
Well there are other problems with a OHO 91 too.  The backspring is a bit too strong to open easily where the hole would be.  So it would have to be weakened.  Then since its not a lock blade, its not snaped open and held as firmly.  A OHO liner or frame lock 93 would be doable.  Id keep a backspring on it for retention when closed, and have a nice lock on open.  Oh boy.  Someday.
Thanks for the info, would sending you some Swiss Chocolate help? Not for you, but for your significant other, so you can spend more time in your workshop  :angel:

Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Could you do a OHO liner or frame lock for a 93 or is there a 93 that has one and could be fitted into the 91 (If the second, which model would that be)?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:18:36 PM by Etherealicer »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:25 PM
Thanks for the info, would sending you some Swiss Chocolate help? Not for you, but for your significant other, so you can spend more time in your workshop  :angel:

Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Could you do a OHO liner or frame lock for a 93 or is there a 93 that has one and could be fitted into the 91 (If the second, which model would that be)?

I have plans to make a 93 frame lock.  Its just much easier to work on those compared to the 91s.  The problem I get into is when people ask me to do a mod I rarely turn it down, so I have a long list of customer mods to finish, before I can get time to do new prototyping.  Currently I am fitting an exacto knife holder into a 93mm alox mod.  So far so good. :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:24 PM

I have plans to make a 93 frame lock.  Its just much easier to work on those compared to the 91s.  The problem I get into is when people ask me to do a mod I rarely turn it down, so I have a long list of customer mods to finish, before I can get time to do new prototyping.  Currently I am fitting an exacto knife holder into a 93mm alox mod.  So far so good. :D
But isn't the 93mm frame much more limited when it comes to tool choice, e.g. the inline Philips Screwdriver?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:43 PM

But isn't the 93mm frame much more limited when it comes to tool choice, e.g. the inline Philips Screwdriver?

Check his signature line thread. ;) In line phillips is a standard 93mm option for Syph007. :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

Ya its exactly the opposite.  The 91mm tools are very specific to the pivot and spring used.  The 93 is almost generic where all pivots are the same shape.  It makes it very easy to mix and match tools.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:39 AM
Well there are other problems with a OHO 91 too.  The backspring is a bit too strong to open easily where the hole would be.  So it would have to be weakened.  Then since its not a lock blade, its not snaped open and held as firmly.

This is the "problem" that I think can be solved by recontouring the closed side of the tang so the closing snap is much reduced. Think of rounding off the inner corner so that as the blade is opened it doesn't have to push the backspring up so much. In fact it could almost be made into a radius around the pivot and rely on friction to hold closed.
This would still allow for the full strength of the spring to hold the blade in the open position.

I was going to play around with some mockups but I guess I could be a geek and do it in Inventor.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:34:14 AM
I know, it is a Thumbstud again, but I like the execution of this mod.
The picture is from the Interwebs, probably from SOSAK or SAKWiki, but I can´t remember who posted it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:42:06 PM
Looks like a Scibeer mod. I am not sure. It was on Sosak.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $119.06
PayPal Fees: $6.61
Net Balance: $112.45