Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Damn wasps.

Benner · 48 · 4321

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Damn wasps.
on: May 09, 2008, 07:56:34 PM
Well the weather here the last few days has been fantastic.  If anything, it has been a bit too hot but I guess I am just never happy.  :D 

The problem is, the wasps have started to arrive and I HATE  >:D them.  When I was a child, I was stung numerous times by a swarm of wasps and for years after I was petrified of them.  Since then I have been stung a couple more times as well.  I tried the old "if you don't move they won't sting you" trick and I am sorry but that doesn't do Jack, they do still sting.  Anyway, after years of fearing them I decided that the only way to combat my fear was to face them and now I have mastered the art of killing them and actually seek them out when I can hear them buzzing around.  This has worked pretty well and I was even given what is called a Foetsie one Christmas from my Mum as another method of killing off these pests.  For those that don't know what a Foetsie is, it looks like a yellow tennis racket where the strings are made of wire and that carry electrical current that electricutes the wasp (or fly etc) on impact.  A video of it is here http://youtube.com/watch?v=4oBYJ9F-lMU&feature=related although it is in a foreign language.

So does anyone else hate/ fear wasps?  And another question, do they actually serve a purpose other than to bug people?
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Damn wasps.
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:17 PM
They don't bother me, but I've been stung on many occasions.  They are an important insect though, as almost every other pest insect has a type of wasp that is its predator.
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:51:28 PM
I hate wasps too. I've never been stung by a bee, a hornet or a yellow jacket but like you have been stung numerous times by those little smurfs. Although I never feared them but like you I kill them gleefully every chance I get. Plus the little smurfs scare my hummingbirds.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:53:27 PM by ducktapehero »
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:18 PM
I have been stung quite a few times. In the spring/summer there is so many bumble bees around my yard! I bought an airsoft gun at WalMart and I go bee hunting! I have to say it's GREAT target practice!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:20:39 PM
I have been stung quite a few times. In the spring/summer there is so many bumble bees around my yard! I bought an airsoft gun at WalMart and I go bee hunting! I have to say it's GREAT target practice!

I don't have any problem with Bees.  I leave them alone and they leave me alone.  Wasps on the other hand I am sure aim to get me.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:33:51 PM
I've never been stung, despite doing the stupid 'lets poke the nest with a stick' thing as a kid :D

I think I must taste bad coz insects just leave me alone :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:39 PM
I've never been stung, despite doing the stupid 'lets poke the nest with a stick' thing as a kid :D

Overall, I'm pretty lucky as I never get bitten or anything.  It's just wasps.  I think I must have upset them in a previous life.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:36:33 PM

Overall, I'm pretty lucky as I never get bitten or anything.  It's just wasps.  I think I must have upset them in a previous life.  :D
It might have something to do with all the pink you wear :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 11:37:37 PM

It might have something to do with all the pink you wear :D

Hmmm, perhaps you're right.  :think:  Perhaps I should just stick with the yellow from now on.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 11:38:03 PM
I think I must taste bad coz insects just leave me alone
Not me, I must be sweet. Mosquito's love me, but they're nothing compared to the most savage and vicious creature in the wild. The Missouri Chigger

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:39:28 PM
Yeah wear yellow and black and the wasp's will just assume your one big bad ass Bee :D

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:40:37 PM
I think I must taste bad coz insects just leave me alone
Not me, I must be sweet. Mosquito's love me, but they're nothing compared to the most savage and vicious creature in the wild. The Missouri Chigger

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/
Fortunatly it's too cold and wet for the buggers over here :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:41:03 PM
Yeah wear yellow and black and the wasp's will just assume your one big bad ass Bee :D

Or, they might think I'm another wasp and try to use me in their sex play.  >:(
I'm back!!

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:43:32 PM

Or, they might think I'm another wasp and try to use me in their sex play.  >:(
At least you'd be getting some :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:50:56 PM
So does anyone else hate/ fear wasps?  And another question, do they actually serve a purpose other than to bug people?

As a kid I really feared/hated wasps.

Used to kill them using a pilfered can of my mom's hairspray and my dad's butane cigarette lighter for ignition.

A brief pass through that improvised flamethrower and their little wings instantly shriveled up.  Then they fell to the ground and kept crawling around until stepped on.

Always worked great and provided me with hours of amusement killing wasps - without being stung.

Actually, wasps are a valuable part of the ecology - they prey on and keep the numbers of many other insects and spiders in check.

N

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 11:53:52 PM
I actually like wasp's, there totally fearless little bugger's that'll have a go at anything, I can respect that :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:35 PM

As a kid I really feared/hated wasps.

Used to kill them using a pilfered can of my mom's hairspray and my dad's butane cigarette lighter for ignition.

A brief pass through that improvised flamethrower and their little wings instantly shriveled up.  Then they fell to the ground and kept crawling around until stepped on.

Always worked great and provided me with hours of amusement killing wasps - without being stung.

Actually, wasps are a valuable part of the ecology - they prey on and keep the numbers of many other insects and spiders in check.

I'm ashamed to say I have done the flamethrower thing too. Did work well though!  :D
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 12:16:59 AM
I actually like wasp's, there totally fearless little bugger's that'll have a go at anything, I can respect that :)

That's the main problem:  paper wasps will have a go at you for no discernable reason at all.

Maybe you've unwittingly approached to within a critical radius of their nest - maybe 30 feet at a guess.  Maybe they perceive the way you move is somehow threatening.  Maybe they just don't like something about your look or your smell.

In my experience they are very unpredictable and attacks can happen for no identifiable reason.  So, I won't tolerate them having nests anywhere near the house.

Mud dauber wasps are a different matter.  They will buzz around looking menacing, but to get them to sting you have actually have to grab one in your hand.  They build their little mud tube nests around the house every season, in sheltered areas under porch roofs and window frames.  I leave the mud daubers alone as they never bother anything except their prey.

N

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 12:20:15 AM
To my knowledge we've only th one species of wasp over here a I  wouldn't call them over aggresive :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 12:22:48 AM
To my knowledge we've only th one species of wasp over here a I  wouldn't call them over aggresive :)

I would.  :(  And their numbers seem to be increasing as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:53 AM

Yellowjackets are a species of wasp we have over here that are yellow and black striped like a bee.  The are the most aggressive I've encountered.
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 01:06:25 AM

Yellowjackets are a species of wasp we have over here that are yellow and black striped like a bee.  The are the most aggressive I've encountered.

Yellowjackets build their nests underground.  They are sometimes encountered by an unlucky homeowner as he rolls across their nest with a lawnmower, causing hundreds of enraged yellowjackets to emerge and attack without warning.

Yellowjackets are VERY aggressive wasps, even when not defending their nest.  They will attack people at picnics and backyard cookouts, because they like certain types of food that people also like.

N

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 03:04:10 AM
I wondered into a yellow jacket nest in the woods when I was a kid.  After getting stung 13 or 14 times, you'll learn to respect them and their home.   :o

I've also been stung by bumblebees and hornets.  Believe me, the hornet is the worst.  It feels like getting hit by a high voltage shock.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 04:30:23 AM

I've also been stung by bumblebees and hornets.  Believe me, the hornet is the worst.  It feels like getting hit by a high voltage shock.

How did you manage that? Bumblebee are probably the most docile among all those stinger bugs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 05:09:03 AM
I realize they are an important part of the ecology. I just wish they would go be important somewhere else.  :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 05:50:07 AM
I wondered into a yellow jacket nest in the woods when I was a kid.  After getting stung 13 or 14 times, you'll learn to respect them and their home.   :o

Check out this sting pain index on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index

Note that the sting of the common paper wasp ranks as more painful than the sting of the yellowjacket.

N

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 08:36:37 AM
I wonder how that list was compiles.  ::) Wouldn't want to be the guy answering that human trial.  :o

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 09:35:39 AM
Wasps and bees can be dangerous to some. My mother is so allergic to them that she has to carry shots around with her in case she ever gets stung.
"

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 10:54:09 AM
I have a wasp story I would like to share .While living in Peterhead a colony of wasps took up residence in a bird box in the garden so on orders from swmbo I attempted to remove it with the help of a mate from work First step smoke them out I got a rag on a metal brush handle soaked it in white spirit and set light to it and approached the bird box
Sadly this proved less than effective and only succeeded in making the wasps slightly annoyed as you can imagine the wasps were none to happy and came screaming out to exact revenge I am sure you acn all picture the sight of 2 "hard as nails "prison officers running around squealing like little girls being chased by a colony of really p***ed ff wasps
We managed to escape intact and retreated to the safety of the house to form another plan of attack
The master plan was to try and remove the box from the side of the shed and then set light to it and how was this to be  achieved ?
I walked right round the block to get to my back gate armed with a pick handle I opened the gate shouted to my mate who was on standby at the back door and charged at the box swiping it clean off the side of the shed again pursued by some really angry wasps.as I made it to the house he launched at firebomb at the box .So all it took was about 4hrs and some badly scorched grass which took about a month to re grow and a gallon of white spirit to get rid one birdbox full of wasps
Next time I will pay a pro to do it less chance of setting fire to myself or anyone else     

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:57 PM
I have a wasp story I would like to share .While living in Peterhead a colony of wasps took up residence in a bird box in the garden so on orders from swmbo I attempted to remove it with the help of a mate from work First step smoke them out I got a rag on a metal brush handle soaked it in white spirit and set light to it and approached the bird box
Sadly this proved less than effective and only succeeded in making the wasps slightly annoyed as you can imagine the wasps were none to happy and came screaming out to exact revenge I am sure you acn all picture the sight of 2 "hard as nails "prison officers running around squealing like little girls being chased by a colony of really p***ed ff wasps
We managed to escape intact and retreated to the safety of the house to form another plan of attack
The master plan was to try and remove the box from the side of the shed and then set light to it and how was this to be  achieved ?
I walked right round the block to get to my back gate armed with a pick handle I opened the gate shouted to my mate who was on standby at the back door and charged at the box swiping it clean off the side of the shed again pursued by some really angry wasps.as I made it to the house he launched at firebomb at the box .So all it took was about 4hrs and some badly scorched grass which took about a month to re grow and a gallon of white spirit to get rid one birdbox full of wasps
Next time I will pay a pro to do it less chance of setting fire to myself or anyone else     
Bloody funny story mate :D :D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75