Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!

Jothra · 317 · 37867

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Re: The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!
Reply #300 on: December 25, 2014, 09:30:06 AM
So, here it is: though the recorded challenge was truncated, here is the 30-Day Rebar Challenge Final Rundown!

This was a fun picture to take, and is pretty indicative of the tool's early life.

Before I start, I need to state two important things. The first is a reminder that I used this Rebar for awhile before I chose to make it a challenge tool. The second is that I am still, to this exact moment of this exact day, carrying this tool in my satchel. It is still my go-to plier-based multitool, though I've done a little modding for fun that we will talk about later.

Oh, and a third thing: Merry Christmas or whatever you're all about this time of year! Woohoo!

The Blades
There are two main blades on the Rebar, and they are both still in excellent shape...despite things like this:

Using Val's main blade as a rasp!

Throughout the 18-ish properly recorded challenge days, I treated the blade poorly, and did stupid things like batoning with it. Batoning! Stupid! It has cut through Tyvek, Styrofoam, building paper, wood (see: batoning. Stupid!), leather, assorted dirt-ridden plants, poly-cotton, fibreglass insulation, acoustical insulation, cheese (copious!), and Jothra BrandTM Fingers. It has done light prying (stupid!), and smoothed holes on a bamboo pennywhistle (low D, in case anyone's keeping track.) It has survived handily. In fact, it retains a decent edge, and is very easy to sharpen. Here is the main blade as it appears today:

Never mind the Viking runes. Good blade. Jothra Approved.

As you can see, apart from some minor rust speckling, the blade is still in excellent shape. I like it. The serrated blade is in even better shape (less scuffed shape at any rate), since it receives less use. It's not too hard to keep sharp, either.

Same light rusting; nothing serious.

A complaint I've seen in a few places is that the blade can be hard to use because it faces the wrong way when open, so half of the handle gets in the way when trying to cut down to a surface. I'm not sure this is a Rebar problem, since one can get around it by opening the tool handle.

Blades: Yes! Winners!

The Drivers

Three drivers for driving! Vroom vroom!

As far as screws go, these three drivers cover most of your usual bases. None are good for Robertson screws, but that's something us Canadians are used to with multitools.

I haven't done any really terrifying prying work with the large slot driver, because I broke the identical one out of my old Wave II less than a month after I bought the tool. There isn't a lot of material bracing the driver in the handle; I fear this one would break if I were too hard on it as well. I will not, however, count this against the tool, because you can generally do better prying with the plier tips if you can get them in there.

The Phillips driver is nice and long, and should work with a Leatherman multi-driver kit.

Drivers: Also effective...at driving things, anyway!

The File / Metal Saw

Hey...more rust!

Both sides of the file do exactly what they should. They file.

The metal saw will cut through a 3" nail. It takes a million years, but it works. My late Wave's metal saw was faster. My old Victorinox Ranger's was the fastest of the three.

It's cosmetic, but this is the rustiest component.

The File / Metal Saw: Excellent as a file, and passable as a saw, in a pinch.

The Saw

What can I say about the saw? It's great. I've used it on wood, plywood, drywall, bamboo, potable water pipe, Styrofoam, and (really) gingerbread. It's a very effective saw. I was a little worried about the aggressive-looking teeth getting it stuck in things, but I have had no problems whatsoever.

Nice teeth, baby!

Saw: Marvy! Fab! Far out!

The Reamer

Hell yes.

HELL YES.

There's no motion blur in that shot, but I did hammer that reamer into a piece of bamboo with a hammer. The reamer did just fine through the pounding, and also succeeded in boring out all eight of the holes I needed to make on the whistle I was building.

Here's how much damage the hammering did:

None at all.

I have used the reamer on a great many materials, most notably solid wood, plywood, and metal road signs. It is keen.

Reamer: The reamer is one of the winningest features of the Rebar. It is fantastic.

The Can Opener

It is one. Seriously. It opens cans.

Can Opener: In binary: 1.

The Pliers

Alright. You've been waiting for this. It's time to look at the pliers!

Tying wire!

There aren't any surprises for me here. These pliers are the reason I bought the Rebar in the first place. I could take or leave the replaceable wire cutters, but I will admit that they have cut plenty of coat hanger, and plenty of tie wire for sidewalk and floor pours (I did some concrete work over the summer). The plier jaws have made short work of tying chores. Awesome awesome awesome.

Oh, and remember The Worst Thing I Have Ever Done? Refresher: it was a thing I did to Campy the multitool with a not insignificant amount of hammer.

This set a bad precedent.

I was removing a forming pin by breaking it off. Remember that? Yikes. Anyway, I unfortunately did not get a picture, but Val the Rebar did the same thing for two of those pins. No problem. No serious damage or scuffing. This is obviously super abusive, but Val survived it handily.

Pliers: BADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!

The Fit and Finish

I love the look of this tool. I am perfectly happy with the inside-access tools. Every tool locks, you guys. The all-stainless look is nice. The only problem with the stainless is that in many of the tools, it...well...wasn't. The little bits of cosmetic rust aren't a huge issue, and they even help the tool look rugged and used, but I might not have minded an official warning somewhere that I needed to perform rustproofing.

One important thing I noticed very early on is that Val's pliers were misaligned by about 1 mm. They came this way. The wire cutters, however, line up just right. The misalignment is not at all a functional issue, and the pliers are excellent, but I do wonder how they left the factory like that.

Fit and Finish: pretty good. Val looks like the Millennium Falcon, which gives me a thrill. Minor scratches, minor rust speckling, and slightly misaligned pliers.

P.S. - The minor scratching may be my fault:

Yes. I did this again. Those DVD shelves needed a lot of finishing nails. There was surprisingly little scratching, actually.

The Takeaway

The Rebar is a sturdy, simple, and versatile tool. Mine is a big success story. It has perfectly fit into the niche formerly occupied by my dearly departed Wave. It can take a surprising amount of abuse.

I am comfortable recommending the Leatherman Rebar. Just keep in mind that the Rebar now costs anywhere from half again to double what it cost when I bought mine.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #301 on: December 25, 2014, 09:31:58 AM

Bonus Fun Time!

I hate the Leatherman Super Excellent Nylon Pancake SheathTM. Ugly! Fortunately, the Rebar fits snugly yet comfortably in the $10 Yukon Gear leather sheath available at Canadian Tire.

It's actually pretty thick and sturdy for $10.

Now for the (admittedly weird) mod:

Whaaaaaaa?

I know, I know...why would anyone trade slightly-beefier Rebar pliers for old Wave pliers? I admit, it was entirely for sentimental reasons -- I really liked that old Wave. If I chew these up, I can always put the Rebar ones back in. This isn't a reflection on Rebar plier quality, I swear!

Until next time, sports fans!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #302 on: December 25, 2014, 11:09:35 AM
Thanks for this, J. :hatsoff:

I really enjoy your threads. Hope you find time to do some more soon. :tu:

And you're not the only one who did the reverse plier swap. :D I think Gareth still has his and I think I'd prefer it that way too. I've been fighting the Rebar fan club peer pressure for a long time now but threads like these really make it hard. ;)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #303 on: December 25, 2014, 11:38:34 AM
Thanks for this, J. :hatsoff:

I really enjoy your threads. Hope you find time to do some more soon. :tu:

And you're not the only one who did the reverse plier swap. :D I think Gareth still has his and I think I'd prefer it that way too. I've been fighting the Rebar fan club peer pressure for a long time now but threads like these really make it hard. ;)

No pressure, you should totally switch to the Wave pliers head on your Rebar. Would be a very cool mod and I bet you would get more of the ladies with it.

I suppose you could talk me into taking your old Rebar head off you hands because I am such a good guy.

Who am I kidding just trying to score some head.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #304 on: December 25, 2014, 04:27:34 PM
Superb insight into the life of a working tool once again  :salute: (The Rebar that is, not you Jothra  :P)

I recently acquired a pair of BO Rebar handles with the BO CC head of a Fuse or Wave. It's not seen much work since I assembled it, and I might be doing some more tweaks to it such as switching the smallest flat driver for one from a Fuse. I think it was a bit short silly of them to have such a broad shank on that driver, limiting access to recessed screws. It's not something I'd personally want for regular/frequent use (too many hotspots on the handles), so I've chucked it in my bike bag as an emergency pliers tool  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #305 on: December 25, 2014, 06:13:29 PM
Excellent review wrap up Jothra!  I enjoy seeing what abuse you put your MTs/SAKs through ;)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #306 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:33 PM
I forgot the obligatory Heroic Sunset ShotTM!

It looks like a TRON sunset. That's okay. I love TRON.

Good job, Val. Good job.

And thanks for your interminable patience, sports fans. It's nice to finally have this wrapped up. The Rebar deserves it.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #307 on: December 26, 2014, 03:05:44 AM
Why did this get stopped early?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #308 on: December 26, 2014, 04:52:07 AM
Because Kirky....that's why ;)

K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #309 on: December 26, 2014, 04:56:39 AM

I just kept meandering away from the challenge. It's not so much that the challenge ended early as I stopped adequately recording it.

Also, the recorded stuff technically only covered 18 days, but overall it took me more than a year to get that summary written. It's telling that I've been carrying the tool the whole time.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #310 on: December 26, 2014, 05:41:03 AM

I just kept meandering away from the challenge. It's not so much that the challenge ended early as I stopped adequately recording it.

Also, the recorded stuff technically only covered 18 days, but overall it took me more than a year to get that summary written. It's telling that I've been carrying the tool the whole time.

I see. Thought maybe you had something break or such.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #312 on: January 04, 2015, 08:37:52 AM
In the review wrap-up, I totally forgot to include one of the more impressive things the awl/reamer has done. This is actually a pretty cool thing:

Oooooooooooooooooooooo...

Yes, that sign is a rugged, commercial-construction-site style sign made with Nice Metally MetalTM. This should reasonably be electric drill work. The reamer on the Rebar is a rugged beast.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #313 on: January 04, 2015, 03:45:40 PM
Thanks Jothra , I really look forward to getting mine now :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #314 on: January 04, 2015, 04:05:18 PM
Wow, that must be a tough awl.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #315 on: January 04, 2015, 11:54:25 PM
In the review wrap-up, I totally forgot to include one of the more impressive things the awl/reamer has done. This is actually a pretty cool thing:

Oooooooooooooooooooooo...

Yes, that sign is a rugged, commercial-construction-site style sign made with Nice Metally MetalTM. This should reasonably be electric drill work. The reamer on the Rebar is a rugged beast.

now that's impressive! :o

also, Nice Metally MetalTM sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book... I love it! :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #316 on: January 05, 2015, 02:47:54 AM
Thanks Jothra , I really look forward to getting mine now :tu:

Yet you still do not have one?  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30