Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix EO1 at one year plus.

cbl51 · 28 · 4550

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Fenix EO1 at one year plus.
on: November 25, 2012, 04:49:01 PM
I guess I must be a peasant by nature. A year and four months ago, I graduated from an old Gerber sonic I had carried for five years, to a Fenix EO1, and been happy as a clam in the mud. I looked at the Fenix EO5 a while back, but I really didn't need the added lumens when I thought about the long run time. For a edc flashlight, I figure the longer run times are more handy that searing the eye balls out of a racoon at 100 yards. I love the fact that Iuse the heck out of my EO1 and so far in a year and four months, I've changed the battery twice. It's been my main fglashlight through a 4 day power outage last summer, a vaction in Key West, a power outage during a winter blizzard, and every day or night, it looks for dropped items under a table or couch, lights up the very back or the shelf in the basement storeroom while looking for something. I think people have went to nuts over lumens, and are not pacing enough run time. I find too much light at night screws up my night vision. The EO1 is my regular light for the dog's last walk of the night before bed, and it lights up the trail in the woods behind the house vry well, but dose not interfere with my vision when I look off to the side in the woods.

For 12.95, and a insane run time with good light output to see by, I think of the humble EO1 as the Smith and Wesson model 10 of the flashlight world. Gets the job done without a lot of fuss or bells and whistles I don't need like different levels of light or strobes. This little econo light does everything I need a small edc pocket light to do. I would go as far to say that it's become as important to me as my Victorinox clasic on my keying. Both get used every day or night, and both are such that I don't leave the house without them.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fenix EO1 at one year plus.
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:51:55 PM
Yeah, I'm also like the Fenix E01 very much :tu: An incredibly reliable flashlight, indeed.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:20 PM
Well said! I love my E01, its an amazing little light. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:59:46 PM
Another fan of the E01 here.  I got mine last year, it actually arrived two days before Hurricane Irene.  It replaced a Maglite Solitare on my keys, and did great service during the blackouts following both the storm and the blizzard two months later.  It's been on my keys since the day I got it, and just got its third battery a day before Hurricane Sandy last month.  It sees a lot more use than just in disasters though.  :)  It gets used multiple times every day around the store, where our basement and garage don't exactly have the best lighting, and I'm not one to regularly wear my glasses.  ::)  It gets used walking home from the train nowadays as it gets dark earlier, and around the house quite a bit too.  Possibly the most useful single piece of kit I've discovered since joining this forum.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:41:16 PM

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:23:52 PM
Just a thought, if you all like the Fenix E01 so much (its a great light after all) the Gerber Infinity is a great torch too, with more flood and runtimes :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:38 AM
Just a thought, if you all like the Fenix E01 so much (its a great light after all) the Gerber Infinity is a great torch too, with more flood and runtimes :)

And can run on batteries so dead even the E01 won't work on them ;) (It can run on both AA and AAA)

Love them both. :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:20:05 AM
I have to admit that I don't own one. :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:32 AM

The only probelm with the Gerber Infinity is, being a AA it's noticeably bulkier in the pocket where the EO1 almost disappears. I have a single AA Peak Solutions flashlight, and almost never carry it because of that.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:58 AM
I don't have an E01, but I probably should get one or three  :P

My favourite torch for runtimes and simplicity is still the 9v Paklite - I have three kicking about, just the basic on/off type, and I don't think I've changed the batteries in any of them since I got them which I'm guessing is about three years or so  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:13 AM
My Quark Mini AA (S2 version) died recently. It was 'held' by someone while I was hacking into a vehicle at an accident, after which it started to randomly turn off or need a tap to turn on. A few weeks later it went out for good. I was gutted, I loved that light.

After some negotiation with my 5 year old daughter, she gave up her E01. For a long time now I've liked things that are simple by design, less to go wrong etc. So I don't really mind losing a few modes for a smaller, lighter torch. If needed I have the bigger brothers in the backpack and glovebox. Its been on my keyring now for a few weeks and all is good so far. I hope it stays that way.

ca Offline KDX

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:03:49 AM
I was looking to get one of these for my self and then ran across the TruNight Ti which is also interesting. I might have to get both and give one to my daughter.

Magic Bus

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 09:49:37 PM
I've had mine for four years or so now and it's still on my keys. There's not a lot of finish left on it, it's been dropped numerous times and it still works! It comes into it's own now the longer nights are here, an awesome light for little money.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 10:36:32 PM
I've had mine for four years or so now and it's still on my keys. There's not a lot of finish left on it, it's been dropped numerous times and it still works! It comes into it's own now the longer nights are here, an awesome light for little money.

I'm not gonna fight you for the title of Ruler of the E01 society cause I don't carry mine that often anymore but I'm a big fan of it and I have one stashed away pretty much everywhere. :D Ashtray in the car (no smoking in my car), screwdriver rack in the workshop for  finding those small screws that rolled onto the floor. night stand, hiking bag. It's one of the few flashlights I rust completely, and having one stashed away saved the day a few times when the regular carry decided quit on me.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 11:26:42 PM
I prefer being able to sear the eye balls out of a raccoon. Here in NYC there is a smurf load of them in the parks and they aren't particularly afraid of humans anymore. My vet said they pulled out something like 90 rabid raccoons from central park last year. The 500 lumen blast I get from the zebralight sc52 on lithiums is quite welcome :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:43:56 AM
I have to admit that I don't own one. :-[

I still don't own one. :-[  I have to say that I've all but stopped carrying 1xAAA lights though, not that I don't like them any more, it's just that my Eagletac D25A has taken up permanent residence on my keys.

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 06:11:54 PM
I too love the humble E01.  I've been EDCing the same one for 5 years now and it's never let me down.  It lives on one of those cable keyrings in my pocket along with my micra, tick tweezers, whistle, and other do-dads.  It should be noted that when running on lithiums or eneloops the lumens are about doubled.  I keep thinking that I should invest in a multi mode light and maybe jump up to AA, but this light just flat works and I can't ever remember needing more light than it puts out.  Plus I value simplicity in my EDC gear and it doesn't get more simple than this, it's like the Mini Maglite of the old days.  I keep a little Fenix pocket clip on mine which allows me to clip it on my hat brim to use as a sort of headlamp.  Lately I've been thinking about maybe picking up a 2xAAA light to keep in a vest or shirt pocket for times when I really do need more light, but I'll keep the E01 with me too.  I think I should pick up 2 or 3 more of these just in case they ever stop making them.   

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:49 PM
... I think I should pick up 2 or 3 more of these just in case they ever stop making them.   

I did that a few times, how do you think I ended up with 4 of them. :D And whenever someone mentions it, I start thinking I might need another one. :doh:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 11:07:19 PM
... I think I should pick up 2 or 3 more of these just in case they ever stop making them.   

I did that a few times, how do you think I ended up with 4 of them. :D And whenever someone mentions it, I start thinking I might need another one. :doh:

Of course, you need one of each colour, then spares for those, and extra spares of the black one, because of course, that's the one you carry ;) >:D >:D >:D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:09 PM

Of course, you need one of each colour, then spares for those, and extra spares of the black one, because of course, that's the one you carry ;) >:D >:D >:D

Two black, two blue so far. That leaves purple and orange/gold. Not my colors. :P Maybe a natural finish if I can find one. :think:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 11:31:33 PM

Two black, two blue so far. That leaves purple and orange/gold. Not my colors. :P Maybe a natural finish if I can find one. :think:

:twak:  You just got me convinced I need a blue one for with my blue Compact... :facepalm:

It's good they don't make them in SAK-red  :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 11:33:52 PM

I'm seeing it being sold in 'olive green' or just 'green'.  I suspect that's what was once called natural.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 11:41:50 PM
you lot are bad people  :twak:
you should be ashamed of yourselves  :twak:
this close to Xmas (and with my birthday just round the corner) I've been avoiding the issues of my Led-lenser p3 edc finally needing a new battery after god only knows how long, now you have me wondering if I need a new torch  :think: :ahhh :think:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 02:27:09 AM
this close to Xmas (and with my birthday just round the corner) I've been avoiding the issues of my Led-lenser p3 edc finally needing a new battery after god only knows how long, now you have me wondering if I need a new torch  :think: :ahhh :think:

It's worth considering. It's a tough little light. I've dropped mine numerous times, the head's a bit battered, but it still works.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 10:43:04 AM

It's worth considering. It's a tough little light. I've dropped mine numerous times, the head's a bit battered, but it still works.
oh I have to have kit that can take a bit of dropping  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 01:39:18 PM

Take a look at this. :ahhh

Fenix e01 freeze test

There were lots of torture test done on the E01 and it survived them all. :tu:

Magic Bus

Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 05:59:18 PM

Take a look at this. :ahhh

Fenix e01 freeze test

There were lots of torture test done on the E01 and it survived them all. :tu:

Spread the lurve  :)

Offline hammerheel68

Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 05:36:44 AM
I just ordered a Fenix EO1 over the weekend, and also a Nitecore T0, due to the SS head.  Super low price sale; now I'm wondering why in the hell did I order only 1 ??

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%