Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rangeman! oh how I love thee!!

detron · 26 · 11343

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Rangeman! oh how I love thee!!
on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:13 AM
G-shock's are awesome!  Master of G kicks it up a notch!!  and the Triple Sensor, Master of G Rangeman, is amazing!

where to begin!

first,  I think it is beautiful!!!

I know it is not seen by others while you wear it, but I love the jungle cat with a compass that is on the back plate.

the buttons were designed to be used even if you have gloves on and the texture does provide extra purchase.
I like the feel and would say that the "grip" of these buttons is lower than the new victorinox file, but more than the old file. 
I wish I had a better method of measuring this, but this is the best I can do.  here is a picture taken through a Vic Mag glass

the small circular indicator is very nice looking and the red-ish purple is very stylish.

the band-keeper is metal,  it is very nice looking, but I think I would have preferred a resin one.  this is just a personal preferrence, and it is not that big of a deal, I just prefer the muted resin "thud" to a metal "tap" on the desk.

this is a little bigger than the GD350 I reviewed the other day, and a little heavier, but I think I will adapt to it quickly.
I have an 8.5" wrist, just to give perspective to the picture

OK,  here is one of my favorite features.  not that I need this info on a regular basis, but I think it is rather cool.
Sunrise and sunset data that not only shows for the current day, but you can cycle through and look up sun data for any day past or future.
the shadow covers the "sun rise" label  :-\

the main timekeeping screen can provide the day of the week or the 42 hour barometer graph.

to me this watch has the ABC sensor trio that make a possible life saving tool.  the fact that it is mud and sand resistant on top of water resistant just adds to the trust I will place on this watches ability to take a beating.
With a MSRP of $300, I feel this watch is worth the price,  I do not like paying that much for a watch personally, but this thing is super cool, and tough!

as to ALL the features available on this watch, I recommend the "video manual" videos below by fwupow.

HELPFUL VIDEOS  I watched all three of these videos more than once!

fwupow's review
CASIO G-Shock RANGEMAN GW-9400J-1

fwupow's video manual (minus triple sensor modes)
G-Shock Rangeman User's Guide Pt 1 Module 3410

fwupow's video manual of triple sensor modes
G-Shock Rangeman User's Guide Pt 2 Module 3410

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info from Casio  http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/GW9400-1/

At A Glance
Introducing RANGEMAN, the latest addition to the Master of G series of tough and rugged timepieces that are designed and engineered to stand up to the most grueling conditions imaginable. RANGEMAN employs a Shock Resistant Triple Sensor, which makes it capable of keeping altitude, barometric pressure, temperature and direction readings at your fingertips.

Cylindrical buttons provide outstanding operation and improved resistance to impact. The frequently used sensor button (center right) has a metal cover that protects it against lateral impact and keeps foreign matter out. Pressing the sensor button in any mode takes you directly to a sensor screen. Each sensor mode has its own audible tone, which means you can determine which mode you are entering without even looking at the watch.

All of this plus sunrise/sunset data, one-touch time recording, one-touch elapsed time measurement, world-renowned G-Shock toughness and durability, and much more makes RANGEMAN the perfect choice for rangers, rescue crews, and anyone else whose profession or activities demand unfailing reliability. Black resin band digital watch with black face, red accents on the dial and the side button.

Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping
Tough Solar
Triple Sensor (Altimeter/Barometer, Thermometer and Compass)
Shock Resistant

Technical Specs
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day/up to 5 times per day for China)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60, China BPC
Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz, BPC 68.5kHz
Tough Solar Power
Shock Resistant
Mud Resistant
Case & buttons are sealed to prevent mud, dirt and dust from getting into the watch
200M Water Resistant
Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
Triple Sensor w/Direct Access Button
Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000 m (-2,300 to 32,800 ft)
Measuring unit: 1 m (5ft)
Manual memory measurements: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Historical Altitude Values: High altitude, Low altitude, cumulative ascent, cumulative decent
Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude differential, Altitude auto reading interval (0'05 or 2'00)
Digital Compass
Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
Measuring unit: 1 degree
60 seconds continuous measurement
Graphic direction pointer
Bidirectional calibration
Magnetic declination correction
Bearing memory: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
Atmospheric pressure change indicator
Manual memory measurements: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
Full Auto LED (Super Illuminator) Backlight with Afterglow
World Time
31 time zones (48 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily Alarms (4 one-time and 1 snooze alarm)
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 Second Stopwatch w/Direct Access
Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown Timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 24 hours
Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments ans 1-hour increments)
Sunrise/Sunset Data
Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date (at sea level)
Time Recorder
Memory capacity: up to 40 records (shared storage with date/time, bearing, and barometric pressure/temperature records)
Full Auto Calendar (Pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Button operation tone on/off
Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
Battery Level Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. Battery Life: 7 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 3410
Size of case/total weight
GW9400 55.2 x 53.5 x 18.2mm / 93g

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marketing videos that held me over while I waited for

to arrive

CASIO G-SHOCK RELEASES A MILITARY INSPIRED TIMEPIECE FOR URBAN SURVIVAL

G-Shock Master of G Rangeman GW9400 Watch

G-Shock Master of G Rangeman featuring Cory DeMeyers professional Parkour
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Rangeman! oh how I love thee!!
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:17:36 AM
Wow! That's a nice watch. Mine just tells time. You can find north with it on a sunny day.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:14 AM
Wow! That's a nice watch. Mine just tells time. You can find north with it on a sunny day.

that's us mobile

I like that trick too,  it is very useful to know

us Offline Cogito

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:04:10 AM
If I bought a nice watch, the Rangeman would def be it :)

I think the coolest bit is if you hit the stopwatch button it autostarts unless there is already a time preloaded.

Do you know if those top screws are only for show? That's what I heard, but I wasn't 100% sure.

us Offline detron

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:56 AM
If I bought a nice watch, the Rangeman would def be it :)

I think the coolest bit is if you hit the stopwatch button it autostarts unless there is already a time preloaded.

Do you know if those top screws are only for show? That's what I heard, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I am afraid I do not know the answer to that question about the screws, but you are correct on the auto-start stopwatch feature,  My other G-shock (GD350) has an auto-start timer.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:09:37 AM
You got it bad, eh?  :D
Nice watch, although a bit big for my skinny wrist - and a bit expensive to bang it into walls and machinery.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:41:43 PM
Huh... Ok, you say it's beautiful but... Do you like it or not?!

:think: :think: :think: :think:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:44:43 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 01:12:00 PM
 :facepalm:  I've been happy with the two G-Shocks that I have, but you had to go and buy this sweet beauty and show it off, didn't ya!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That thing is so ridiculously awesome, I want need one!  :drool:

I really gotta stop adding to my "need to save for" fund.

us Offline detron

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 01:39:43 PM

I do love it, that is why the subject is "Rangeman how I love thee"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:04:12 PM
Another Awesome watch Detron.  I think the screw are for visual purposes but I am not sure either.  I think they sure look good either way.  Fwupow has some great videos and is quite the authority ( to me ) on all things Gshocks.  I have always felt a watch like this replaces several gadgets that would or may be carried in more easily. 

There are some things that while spendy return a high value to the owner.  When I was in college I bought a expensive bike and everyone around me was like " you spent that on a bike?"  I knew the value was in how well the bike was built and with standard care the bike would last me ( I still have the bike today ).  Costed out now over A) 15 years I rode that bike it was very cheap, and B) the pure enjoyment I had while riding the bike cannot be measure by dollars. 

Enjoy the great new watches and some day your son will be wearing one these.  I have a few Gshocks that have been around longer than m oldest child 18yrs.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 04:32:16 PM
Another Awesome watch Detron.  I think the screw are for visual purposes but I am not sure either.  I think they sure look good either way.  Fwupow has some great videos and is quite the authority ( to me ) on all things Gshocks.  I have always felt a watch like this replaces several gadgets that would or may be carried in more easily. 

There are some things that while spendy return a high value to the owner.  When I was in college I bought a expensive bike and everyone around me was like " you spent that on a bike?"  I knew the value was in how well the bike was built and with standard care the bike would last me ( I still have the bike today ).  Costed out now over A) 15 years I rode that bike it was very cheap, and B) the pure enjoyment I had while riding the bike cannot be measure by dollars. 

Enjoy the great new watches and some day your son will be wearing one these.  I have a few Gshocks that have been around longer than m oldest child 18yrs.   

I am already considering getting my 2 boys a G-shock each  (new)  something that hopefully they will have into adulthood.

I will say this watch is not as comfortable as my GD350, but when I first started carrying a MT, it was more comfortable to NOT carry one.  Now the tables have turned and the use/need outways any discomfort

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:19 PM
I have the "Riseman" version of the G-shock (shown above, if you look for it), which is awesome.  Best feature is the atomic function, so I know the watch is always correct.  But I also love the barometer.  I get woozy when the barometric pressure rises or falls sharply over the course of several hours, and its always nice to look at my watch and confirm that my dizziness is weather-related.  But these suckers are tough, and the solar function never needs a battery replacement.  I love mine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:48:16 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 01:01:48 PM

I do love it, that is why the subject is "Rangeman how I love thee"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That's a question, I was waiting on the answer.
 :D :D :D :D

It's like that story of the wife asking the husband:
"Did you marry me for love or for interest?"
"For love, of course!"
"Oh... Really?!"
"Yeah, I have no interest in you, woman..."

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 02:24:57 PM
Very nice watch .but how much  :o im a fan of g-shocks for around 32 years and still feel that at this price the lose that bashabillity as expensive but no tougher than a dw5600c that cost £40-50,plus the metal protrek casios have abc functions and cost less,oddly had this discussion with my dentist the other day, good looking watch though and would love a masters of g frogman one day but also expensive.

us Offline detron

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 02:53:08 PM
Very nice watch .but how much  :o im a fan of g-shocks for around 32 years and still feel that at this price the lose that bashabillity as expensive but no tougher than a dw5600c that cost £40-50,plus the metal protrek casios have abc functions and cost less,oddly had this discussion with my dentist the other day, good looking watch though and would love a masters of g frogman one day but also expensive.

I agree the price is high,  but to me I get the abc, solar, atomic, and g-shock together in one.  also this one is mud resistant like the frogman is.

I am a gadget nut, so anytime someone has created something cool, I am excited about it.  You should have seen me when Texas Instruments released the Ti-85 Engineering calculator!  I was in high school, but I got one, and learned math from the calculator, not to mention I learned to program the calculator. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 03:07:17 PM

I agree the price is high,  but to me I get the abc, solar, atomic, and g-shock together in one.  also this one is mud resistant like the frogman is.

I am a gadget nut, so anytime someone has created something cool, I am excited about it.  You should have seen me when Texas Instruments released the Ti-85 Engineering calculator!  I was in high school, but I got one, and learned math from the calculator, not to mention I learned to program the calculator.

I totally get it mate i guess im stuck in 1983 lol and my g5600e is about as tec as i get  :D i liked the few protreks i had but never used all the functions ,great review on yet another cool G  :salute:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 03:24:45 PM
hmmm, I see a possible successor to my long-time friend, Pathfinder.

us Offline detron

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 03:38:10 PM
hmmm, I see a possible successor to my long-time friend, Pathfinder.

if you need a prod,  you are close enough to see it in person!

us Offline detron

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:34 PM
registered this watch online with casio, and again received a 2 year extension to the warranty.

that is very nice gesture

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:44 PM
registered this watch online with casio, and again received a 2 year extension to the warranty.

that is very nice gesture
That is pretty nice indeed!  :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:24 PM
well, this morning I checked the Rangeman, and it had changed over to daylight savings time automatically. Called my friend who has an older atomic G-shock, and even though it updated the time this morning, it did not change the DST settings  :think:

oh well, this is such a great watch!

us Offline detron

Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 07:00:52 PM
This is mainly a note for myself,  but some people might find it useful (if you have a Rangeman)

From the time mode,  I pressed the Adjust button, Mode Button and the Reverse Button (or A,B,C buttons) at the same time.

ended up with just two "modes" SLR and TLT.  upon further research,  I found what  these test modes do, at this page of watchuseek

It's a test screen - with TLT you can test the auto EL gravity switch - tilt the watch and it should display "8888". The SLR is to test the solar panels - cover the display with your hand and remove it and the watch should also display "8888".

I cannot get this to show up every time I try,  but regardless,  I found it cool.   8)

it Offline danilo

Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 11:31:55 PM
Wow nice to know, I'll try it out.
I've had the rangeman since december and I wear it daily, I love it, it is very well thought

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 12:36:51 AM
I've had the rangeman since december and I wear it daily, I love it, it is very well thought

if you have not already viewed them,  check out the longer videos in my original post on this thread.  they are a video users manual,  and it explains many things that the manual just glosses over

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:14 AM
Also doubles as a hockey puck if necessary  :whistle:

it Offline danilo

Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 04:42:01 AM

if you have not already viewed them,  check out the longer videos in my original post on this thread.  they are a video users manual,  and it explains many things that the manual just glosses over
Well I've watched them several times, actually, nefore buying the watch. They helped me in deciding to buy it, and I don't have any regret so far.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%