Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox 111mm format, how much blade/lock play is acceptable?

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
I have a Vic Outrider
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Outrider
The main blade snaps into the locked position well, and the lock seems to be functioning, in that the blade definitely "locks".
There is no side-to-side play of the blade, but the tip of the knife can easily be moved up and down a ways when in the locked position. I just held the knife static, marked the blade tip on paper, applied pressure on the blade, and the tip moved 3mm, 1/8 of an inch. Is this within "normal" tolerances for blade lockup on this model, or is a call to the Service Center recommended?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Ive got about 6 111mm slider side locks and they are all like that so I think its design.  The lock mechanism is not very precise due to design.  The liner lock type is much more secure.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Yes, it's normal for the slide locks. A 2-3 mm play at the tip but you'll never notice it in actual use. The blade is held in place by the backspring, just like any other SAK, with the added benefit of the slide lock to keep it from closing. It's more of a safety feature than an actual lock as the liner lock, back lock, framelock type of lock that turns a folder into a fixed blade.

The slide lock is just a piece of metal that wedges itself inside the specially shaped backspring and TWO liners and keeps the backspring from bending back and releasing the blade. It's a safe lock and I've never had one close on me accidentally, but is easy to disengage with either the left or right hand. 

Here are some pictures to demonstrate how it works.

And the Bob's picture of the backspring for the slide lock (which I believe is in a SAK currently in Croatia. ;) )
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:06:25 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Many thanks for the reassurance.
Guess I'll just practice relaxing on the subject instead of worrying ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%