Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets look at the Juice Family

Chako · 25 · 8334

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Lets look at the Juice Family
on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:04 PM
I can recall the first time I saw a Leatherman Juice. It was in the early 2000's at Canadian Tire. I was immediately drawn to them as their colours were truely beautiful. I did :think: my head a little however and wanted to see one up close and personal, but they were all in blister packs...so I had to leave the store still wondering on if I should buy one or not. At that time, I wasn't into collecting multi-tools, and quite frankly, they didn't register for me much in those days. Now of course, I wished I had satiated my curiosity and bought one. Well one can say I rectified that problem.

The Juice is interesting because it is so different to all the other Leathermans that came out before it. What first drew me to them like a moth to flame were the nice anodized colours, but the shape and construction was also intriguing. The Juice line is built more akin to a Swiss Army Knife with backsprings instead of lever locking systems, or the older tab locking system.

Now the Juice family is a rather large one. Leatherman employed a neat naming convention which of course was used for the smaller pocket multi-tools that came afterwards. In all there are 8 models, 6 official and 2 retail exclusives.

Juice S2: Scissors, 2 layers
Juice C2: Corkscrew, 2 layers
Juice SX: SX is a bit different. It has a fin key, 2 layers
Juice CS4: Corkscrew, Scissors, 4 layers
Juice KF4: Knife, File, 4 layers
Juice Xe6: Xe is a bit different. I always considered it as being "Extra", 6 layers

The retail exclusives do not follow the above general naming convention.

Juice SC2: Scissors, corkscrew, but this time 3 layers
Juice Pro: An Xe6 with 2 more additional tools added.

The Juice first came onto the scene back in 2001, when Leatherman came out with 5 models. These models include the Juice S2, C2, CS4, KF4, and Xe6. The next Juice on the scene came a year later in 2002, which was the Juice Pro. The following year, the Juice SC2 was introduced in 2003. Things remained stable for the Juice line until 2013, when the Juice SX was introduced. In 2014, a revamping of the Juice line saw a cosmetic change which we will talk about later in this little article.

Now that we have the naming convention and release dates past us, it is now time to visit each model of the Juice family.

The two layer juices are the smallest, and some might say, the most convenient to pocket carry. Interestingly enough, there are only 2 models that do not feature a corkscrew, the S2, and KF4. The S2 comes in a rather astonishing variety of colours. Before we look into this further, I do wish to add that all of the older solid anodized scaled Juices are now discontinued. The much beloved KF4 is the only Juice that does not have a more modern two toned version today.

Here you can see the wide colour gamut that you can find the Juice S2 wearing. Note the newer two toned S2 holding the bottom. All others are now considered discontinued by Leatherman.

Note the two layers, absence of a corkscrew, and a nice pair of scissors.

The Juice C2, along with every other Juice except the S2 and KF4, feature a corkscrew and accompanying bottle/can opener. In the following photo, you can see the newer two tone replacement. I should add that these newer Juices come in two variations, a storm gray and another more vibrant colour.

The Juice C2 drops the scissors for a corkscrew and beverage opener. Personally, the S2 holds more interest to me, as I rarely if ever need a corkscrew.

The Juice CS4 is a feature rich multi-tool. Now we are into something wider and more useful. Note the newer two tone replacement is on the bottom.

Because this tool has more room, you get a lot of extra utility out of this model. The addition of those scissors is a win win for me, but you also get a nice saw, and an awl.

Next up is a cult classic, and oddly enough, the only Official designated Juice not to have survived time, the KF4. Aimed at a slightly different crowd, the KF4 is one of two Juices that do not feature a corkscrew. What it does have instead is is a very nice serrated knife, a dual sided file that has diamond coating, and an awl. As far as I know, the KF4 came only in two colours, solar yellow and storm gray.

From the tool sets, you can see that the KF4 was aimed more at the tradesman. The KF4 has one feature that sets it apart from its slightly different target audiance, It also has ruler markings on the back scales in both inches and centimeters.

The last and largest of the official Juice model certainly packs a lot of utility into a relatively small package. Note the newer two tone version holding up the bottom.

The Xe6 basically carries every tool in the official Juice Family.

The last official Leatherman, and one I wish I had a model to add to my collection is the very hard and difficult to get (at least if your a Canadian) Juice SX. This interesting tool is aimed squarely at surfers, and as such, you can't find these unless at select outdoor sport shops. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think you can even buy these from Leatherman's factory store. Surprisingly enough, this model which came out only last year, already is on the discontinued list, as the original had the older anodized aluminium handles. Leatherman quickly came out with a two tone version, which is proving equally a bear to find. I finally managed to order one from a US retailer, and their photo is of the older model. When I get it (old or new), I will be sure to add its photo to this thread. What makes the Juice SX very different, is the inclusion of a fin key for surf-boarders, which replaces two of the smaller flat drivers in the one handle. Basically a Juice C2 with a fin key in lieu of 2 smaller flat drivers. I am unsure of this, but the original Juice SX either came out in 2012 or 2013.

Now onto the retail exclusives. In 2002, the largest Juice was introduced. This was an Xe6 with two additional tools, and labeled a Juice Pro. I could be wrong here, but I think the Juice Pro is a Costco exclusive.

Somehow there was room to add two more features to the Pro over the Xe6. The inclusion of a foil cutter and removable tweezers make the Juice Pro the largest of the Juice line.

In the following year, 2003, the Juice SC2 came out. Once again, I am a bit shaky here, but I think it was a Walmart exclusive.

The SC2 gives you both scissors and a corkscrew.

That wraps up the Juice family. It will be interesting to see if Leatherman brings back the KF4, and what will happen to the SX. Will it be a big seller or ultimately  become a short lived and rare Leatherman for collectors to fight over.

Bonus, here are two sheaths that I have for the Juice. The clear plastic on the left is the older version. It will fit any Juice, and they simply slide in and out. There are two detents that lock the tool in so that you won't lose it while carrying it around on your belt. The newer sheath is made a little more cheaply, as it consist of an expanding band. I know that with time and use, these will loose their elasticity. Otherwise, it does give you more protection for your tool.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:46:08 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MGill

Re: Lets look at the Juice Family
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:20:35 PM
Yet another awesome thread Chako. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:18:34 PM
Nice collection! Time to get more variants! :pok:
Leatherman

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:10 PM
I have a Juice SX on the way. I will also get the 4 newer gray Juices if and when I can.

us Offline bernard_s3

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:26:59 PM
How does the quality of the new Juice S2 compare to the older generation? I was looking at both at REI and the newer model looks more "Sidekick/Wingman" like. Looked like the tools had a higher polish or were made from a different steel.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:50 PM
my opinion, stick with the old if you can. The new covers on the new line are just very thin textured aluminum coverings over the regular slabs. I find it is hit and miss on if you have one where the edges are sharp and could cause some issues, or not. I also like the older blade compared to the newer shorter one.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:29 PM
Awesome chako can't wait for the next one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:04:44 AM
CanadianLMfan, yeah, I didn't know there were so many more Juices that I need to get. A new one on me are the Juices with Leatherman and the model number on the same side. I have 1 or 2 of those coming my way sometime. Looking at Wowaboro's collection, that showed me a few that I didn't have...which is always a good thing.  :D

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:02:59 AM
Oh! Another great juice thread  :salute:

Looking at Wowaboro's collection, that showed me a few that I didn't have...which is always a good thing.  :D

But I don't have green S2 (and probably I'll never will catch it) which you have  :cheers:

and where red SC2? I won't believe that you don't have it  ;)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:41 AM
I would do unforgivable/unspeakable things for that Green S2.......... Did I just say that.  :P
I'm the milk man!

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:08 AM
I would do unforgivable/unspeakable things for that Green S2.......... Did I just say that.  :P

Month ago on eBay green S2 (without inscriptions on scales) was sold for $152, but I missed this auction  :facepalm:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-Green-no-markings-maybe-hard-to-find-/111321280119?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=QI1C28qBEopIomUyJXkLBMvEqIs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Maybe I would be ready to pay ~$200 for it. I think more such chance won't be  :(

PS
And I am ready to pay up to $300 for green S2 like Chako's ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:37:41 AM by wowaboro »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 10:53:40 AM

Month ago on eBay green S2 (without inscriptions on scales) was sold for $152, but I missed this auction  :facepalm:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-Green-no-markings-maybe-hard-to-find-/111321280119?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=QI1C28qBEopIomUyJXkLBMvEqIs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Maybe I would be ready to pay ~$200 for it. I think more such chance won't be  :(

PS
And I am ready to pay up to $300 for green S2 like Chako's ;)

Strange how it has no markings.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 11:16:00 AM
Strange how it has no markings.  :think:

Quite usually for juices  :)
I have couple (blue CS4 and purple XE6).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 12:49:43 PM
I am fairly restricted now when it comes to Leatherman products. I have never seen a red SC2 for sale on eBay.ca

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
I am fairly restricted now when it comes to Leatherman products. I have never seen a red SC2 for sale on eBay.ca

Strange that buying from USA to Canada harder than from USA to Russia  :think:
~1/5 of my juices I bought on eBay.com (all sellers in USA) with directly shipping to Russia, and ~4/5 - through the mail forwarder (USA to Russia).
USA to Canada for example:
https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=mail+forwarding+usa+to+canada&safe=off
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:08:10 PM by wowaboro »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 05:53:46 PM
I agree. Leatherman is really cracking down on Canadian sales from US retailers.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 08:23:04 PM
I have never seen the green s2, it is very cool!  My favorite juice would have to be the KF4 as far as a tool setup up and I like the solar yellow!

Very nice collection there Chako!   :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 08:43:45 PM
I have never seen the green s2, it is very cool!  ...

The only two that have been seen in the last few years are this one Chako has (previously owned by Breezy12) and the one listed on that eBay auction, which I think is now also at Breezy12's place :D or already on the way to Greg down under.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 08:10:10 AM

The only two that have been seen in the last few years are this one Chako has (previously owned by Breezy12) and the one listed on that eBay auction, which I think is now also at Breezy12's place :D or already on the way to Greg down under.

nope, I think that auction got a little too pricey for Greg's taste. ;)

on the other hand, threads like this make me wish I would have held on to that green S2... no offense, Chako. ;) :D :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 11:42:02 AM

nope, I think that auction got a little too pricey for Greg's taste. ;)
True, however, it was destined to stay in the MTo family, as the winner and (at least) the next two "under-bidders" were all MTo members.  We are our own worst enemies when it comes to paying lots for rare/unusual MTs because we raise the selling price significantly by bidding against each other.

Maybe I should have fired up the infamous "Out-Bid-a-Bob" machine and given it a run (but I was worried about my ability to feed it the copious amounts of money required to run it even for a short time  :pok:  )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 02:11:07 PM
 :salute:  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:19 AM
A few more additions came in today.

The two Juices have different markings on them compared to all my other Juices. These have Leatherman Juice on the one side, instead of having the leatherman on the back scales like my others.

As for the Juice SX, I am very happy to finally acquire one of these very difficult to get for Canadians tool. I found a US retailer that didn't mind selling one...and oddly enough, this one came from Oregon at that. I am a bit disappointed in that their photo shows the older style SX, and I got the newer style SX. I do not imagine they produced too many of the older style SX Juices. Anyways, the SX does feature that fin key, and is aimed at the surfer crowd.

And the retailer that sold me the SX, major kudos, because I was getting very frustrated. They were even nice enough to include a beverage cooler and sticker sheet.

:salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25:58 AM
Did a little reorganizing.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 02:53:46 AM
So many colors.  :drool:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 05:10:49 AM
I lost my orange S2 a few months ago, and picked up one of the new two-tone ones (red) at REI last week. They had it on sale for $45 so I grabbed it. The blade shape is different from the older one I had... it's shorter, and more of a sheepsfoot style. It threw me at first, but it's fine; better suited for the kinds of things I use the tool for anyway.

Overall, still a nice little tool, even though it doesn't have much "wow" factor to it.  I guess for the most part, that's a good thing.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%