Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Earl - The backcountry survival tablet 2213

No Life Club Posts: 2,167
Earl - The backcountry survival tablet
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »
When I first read the title, I thought it might be a silly idea to lug around an ipad-lookalike to the outdoor.  But more that I read into it, it does seem to make quite a bit of sense, I particularly like the idea of having a solar panel at its back so hopefully it will be recharged in reasonable time.

http://www.meetearl.com/#features

Spec:

Android 4.4 • Flexible 6" E-ink screen (1024x758) • Sunlight viewable with lunar lantern mode • Glove friendly capacitve touchscreen • Waterproof shell • Solar charging • i.MX 6 DualLite 1GHz Cortex A9 • 1GB ram • 16GB memory + microSD • Wifi b/g/n • BT 4.0 • ANT+ • NFC • VHF/UHF transceiver (FRS, GMRS, PMR446, UHFCB) • GPS + GLONASS • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer • Temperature • Barometer • Humidity • AM/FM/SW/LW/WB • 20+ hour battery • 3.5mm TRRS headphone/microphone jack • Micro USB • Military grade secure lanyard • 400 grams (14.1 oz) • 178mm x 125mm x 15mm

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,250
Re: Earl - The backcountry survival tablet
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
That looks like a pretty cool gadget.
I want one :D

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,431 \o/
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »
Nice gadget :)
E-ink... so not very good for watching pictures of MTs and SAKs :(
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 13,733 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
I lost interest at "Android"  ::) but otherwise looks like it would be a decent gizmo

Most Used Victorinox: - Climber Small, Alox Rambler, 70s Outdoorsman, CT41, Spirit X, + mods
Most Used Wenger: - Various Travellers, Pocket Tool Chest, + mods
Most Used Gerber: - Balance, Dime, + mods
Most Used Leatherman: Sideclip, Anniversary Wave, + mods
Current Mods (in use): MP426, Fuse-ilier, DEsTroyer, The PUG, Mega84, The Sheepsfoot Duke, TurboDiesel, Neutered Octane, Brian

***NEW "FOR SALE" THREAD COMING SOON***
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Android ain't that bad, really.  I will love to have a google map with all my marked POI so I could find them easily.

Besides the two-way radio which could be quite useful when cell phone connection is lost, I hope this is a quality product so it will be a better option than cell phone + solar charging panel.
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,999 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »

I actually like that it's E-ink. :tu: Will make it much more readable in direct sunlight and resistant to damage. :tu:
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,972 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »

I actually like that it's E-ink. :tu: Will make it much more readable in direct sunlight and resistant to damage. :tu:

E-ink uses less power too, which is something youd want if you need to rely on solar charging.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Hero Member Posts: 590
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
Solar charging, VHF/UHF, GPS, AM/FM/SW/LW/WB
It sounds like an excellent piece of kit.
Would be ideal for my little treks up the Cheviots or Cairngorms.  :tu:

I'm not too sure of the sunlight viewable part, not much chance to use that in the northern UK  :-\
Newbie Posts: 6
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:18 AM »
Now that actually sounds cool. Thought it's gonna be crap, but on paper everything seems pretty alright. What's the problem with Android? Are you talking about Android 5 years ago or Android now?

Oh but where's 3G/4G connectivity, getting online on a pinch is pretty handy. Have doubts about the solar charging, I guess it can work ok.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:12:57 AM by Hump »
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,378 Tool Carrying Linux User - I'm Iron Man!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »
I lost interest at "Android"  ::) but otherwise looks like it would be a decent gizmo

to me the reason android is a good choice for this is that it can be taylored to  fit the designers need.

Windows can be customized, but by paying Microsoft, and hoping you get what you want, and you will not have the source code to know if you REALLY got what you wanted.

Apple is also closed source (you do not know what happens under the hood), and relies heavily on a connection to iTunes or cloud services these days to be completely self sufficient right away.  this could work, but not without a computer or internet connection.  Imagine an iPod, (old one, not one with internet) if you did not have a computer.  it can be loaded by someone else, buy if you get it new, you can do nothing with it without a computer

If I can help, let me know 
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,506 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
This looks like a good set-up. The topo maps 2-way radio and weather band radio make this really nice for hikers.

:tu:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
yeah, I really did hope they could bring it to market in reasonable time, and be able to continue to sell and provide support afterwards.  Looks like a decent device with enough deviation from a usual tablet, but with good outdoor related features that hikers may like.
No Life Club Posts: 2,294 American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »
I'm going to let it hit the market and give it a while. Then, maybe, I'll buy

Steel is humanity, with all its pride and humility and hope and doubt and fear and faith. And while steel can control any of the four elements, to protect man and make them serve us, without man to protect the steel, the elements will destroy it. Steel is wisdom, and strength, and science, and magic. But without the hand of man to guide it, it is nothing.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $559.65
PayPal Fees: $32.97
Net Balance: $526.68
Above Goal: $251.68
Site Currency: USD
192% 
June Donations

Community Links