Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Classic as First-Aid Kit Tool

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: July 16, 2014, 07:43:19 PM

Introduction
In order to have a small but effective First-Aid Kit we also need smaller tools that are capable of performing reliably the tasks at hand. In First-Aid this is primarily the scissors backed up with tweezers, both present in the Classic.

Materials
Brand new Victorinox "Foxy" Classic, LM Micra (brand new). Regular scissors (Kai, Japan) and tweezers (Rubis, Switzerland).

Validation
The results for the classic have been confirmed by scissors from two MiniChamps (scissor) or one Spartan (tweezer).

Rating
Every test will have a rating that come with a word and a number.
1-5 Fail
6-7 Pass
8-9 Good
10 Excellent

Evaluation
Scissors: In emergency situation are primarily used to cut cloth, bandages etc. Therefore the test will focus on cutting these materials (for a more detailed scissor test, read Lynns Scissor Test).
Denim (Cutting through leg sleeve from the bootom, moderate thin):

I only used one hand and did not stabilize the cloth in any way. The regular scissors performed well. The Classic scissors also worked extremely well. Surprisingly the Micra scissors failed at this test, as the unrestrained cloth got stuck between the scissor blades.
Scissors (Good,8), Classic (Pass,7), Micra (Fail,2)
Denim (Cutting through belt hoop, thick):

Again the regular scissors performed well. To my surprise the classic rose to the task. The LM Micra also cut through and could use its size for advantage, making short work of the thickly layered cloth.
Scissors (Good,8), Classic (Pass,6), Micra (Good,8)

Gauze (Cutting the gauze):

The only surprise here was that the LM Micra performed so much better than on the denim.
Scissor (Good,9), Classic (Good,8), Micra (Good,8)
Ductape, band-aid: No problem for any contender.
Bandage: No problem for any contender.
Nail trimming: Only the Classic worked in this class, the larger size of the regular and the Micra scissors were to bulky to perform well.

Tweezers: Tweezers need both to grip strongly and be precise
Ripping hair of my scalp: Hairs are a good test subject, they need a tight grip, but bad tweezers can squash hairs apart.
Ok, for some reason my GF likes to rip all the white hair from my scalp, so I gave her the tweezers for an evaluation. She didn't like the Micra, was OK with the Classic and loved the regular Tweezer.
Tweezers (Good,8), Classic (Pass,6), Micra (Fail,2)
Picking up Salt (Precision and fine manipulation): All tweezers worked fine at that task. The Micra actually did quite well at gripping lightly.
Tweezers (Good,9), Classic (Pass,7), Micra (Pass,6)

Blade: A blade is always a good tool to have. However, in a first-aid situation it has to step back and leave the spot-light for the scissors.
Cutting Denim: The test involved stabbing through the denim and cutting some denim. Both Micra and Classic had no trouble with that task. The Micra blade takes the edge for being larger and more solid, but primarily because its tip was much better at stabbing through the fabric.
Classic (Pass,6), Micra (Pass,7)

Discussion
The Classic is a surprisingly capable tool. The scissors performed beyond my expectations. Its small size is both asset and disadvantage. The disadvantage of course is, that cutting is tedious and its difficult to cut in a straight line. On the other hand its highly maneuverable and can cut in difficult places.
The combination of scissors, tweezers and nail-fail allows the Classic to perform most tasks required in first-aid tasks. For a small first-aid kit I can only recommend the Classic.

Pros
- Tiny package
- Brilliant scissors
- All the prime tools required for a First-Aid Kit

Cons
- Tweezers could be better
- Lacks something pointy for stabbing (lancet)
contenders_01.jpg
* contenders_01.jpg (Filesize: 615.95 KB)
scissors_01.jpg
* scissors_01.jpg (Filesize: 57.79 KB)
scissors_02.jpg
* scissors_02.jpg (Filesize: 400.62 KB)
scissors_03.jpg
* scissors_03.jpg (Filesize: 425.78 KB)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:47:19 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline Subterranean

Re: ictorinox Classic as First-Aid Kit Tool
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:54:21 PM
Very nice review! That little guy is definitely underrated. I have one Cellidor Classic SD in my mini medic kit, together with bandages, antiseptic wipe, etc. I am actually a medical school student so I ought to have a small medic kit with me at all times :)

However, I plan to replace it with the Alox version (ethanol dissolves the Cellidor slowly, plus the Alox has a bit better grip). I will keep two pairs of tweezers in the kit, one of them being regular, the other one being cut at an angle. They are strong enough for splinters etc. I haven't used its toothpick in a medic situation, but I can keep it anyway.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:09 PM
Very nice review! That little guy is definitely underrated. I have one Cellidor Classic SD in my mini medic kit, together with bandages, antiseptic wipe, etc. I am actually a medical school student so I ought to have a small medic kit with me at all times :)

However, I plan to replace it with the Alox version (ethanol dissolves the Cellidor slowly, plus the Alox has a bit better grip). I will keep two pairs of tweezers in the kit, one of them being regular, the other one being cut at an angle. They are strong enough for splinters etc. I haven't used its toothpick in a medic situation, but I can keep it anyway.
Thanks
It was exactly my idea, use an Alox classic + tweezers. On the other hand I'm considering shortening the toothpick and then fuse a needle on it, that should give a good lancet, with a good grip.

hr Offline Subterranean

Re: Victorinox Classic as First-Aid Kit Tool
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:39 PM
And I were to do a mod on that little medic Alox, I would swap its nailfile/screwdriver for that small 58mm emergency blade. :dd:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:01:35 PM by Subterranean »

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

Thanks
It was exactly my idea, use an Alox classic + tweezers. On the other hand I'm considering shortening the toothpick and then fuse a needle on it, that should give a good lancet, with a good grip.
Nice idea! That would be VERY useful.
Actually, I had the idea (for all SAKs) of trying to put needle and/or the small eyeglasses screwdriver in the place of the toothpick (in the scales). That way, you could have a needle and the small screwdriver in all the sizes of SAK - from the 58mm to 111mm.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:52 PM
Nice review Etherealicer

It's size is perfect to be stored in a little altoids can or other mini med-packs.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:07:52 AM
I've never exactly understood WHY the 58mm vics are so good at cutting heavy fabric. This is one of those tests that wipe out a lot of the pack. When i tested against 4 layers of khaki, though... no problem, right through. It almost kind of freaked me out how well they worked.

I certainly think a classic is a GREAT choice for a little first aid kit.  :tu:

The Micra has some strengths that the 58mm Vics don't, but for this application, I don't think you can do better.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:31:54 AM
I've never exactly understood WHY the 58mm vics are so good at cutting heavy fabric. This is one of those tests that wipe out a lot of the pack. When i tested against 4 layers of khaki, though... no problem, right through. It almost kind of freaked me out how well they worked.

I certainly think a classic is a GREAT choice for a little first aid kit.  :tu:

The Micra has some strengths that the 58mm Vics don't, but for this application, I don't think you can do better.
Yeah, its why I linked to your review. The Micra does kinda look bad in this review, which does not necessarily mean it is. When it comes to material that is stiff, or held stretched it performs well. It was primarily at cutting loose cloth, that the it "failed".
And the tweezers on the Micra are a waste of space (IMHO). The Micra though has a lot more to offer, certainly the better blade.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:15:39 PM
And the tweezers on the Micra are a waste of space (IMHO). The Micra though has a lot more to offer, certainly the better blade.

I completely agree with this, and it's sad because it's the only real weak point in the tool.

I love both the Classic SD and Micra as the two best 'starter tools'. Each has their place, but if you want compact, the Classic obviously wins.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:36:31 AM
Very nice read, thank you! :salute:
Antonio

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:43 AM
One first aid usage that I believe the Classic's scissors excel at is cutting away excess skin from scrapes, boo boos and so-called
"hangnails" - the small, torn piece of skin next to a fingernail.  It has been my experience that the Classic's scissors allow you to remove this skin with extreme precision. The Micra's - and in my view, virtually all scissors not made by Victorinox - are not nearly as precise in this application.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:12:24 AM
I've wondered about scissors performance, maybe it's because of Vic's scissors are ground thinner behind the edge, sharpened at more acute angle and the non-folding design makes it more rigid?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%