Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox RangerGrip 55 and 71 Gardener (pic heavy !!!)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Victorinox RangerGrip 55 and 71 Gardener (pic heavy !!!)
on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:48 AM
Hey guys,

Ever since I won a Wenger Ranger 58 in one of last years giveaways (thanks Tim and Nikola  :salute:) I was so overwhelmed by the sheer size and the great feel of it, that it got me thinking ... 

I had reached that certain point where there wasn't really a plier based multitool or SAK that I wanted (let alone needed) anymore, I wanted to buy something to add to my collection, but there was nothing that got me really excited anymore (nothing in a normal price range anyway ...).  The Surge entered my mind a couple of times, but since I prefer my Swisstool, Spirit,ST300 or Rebar above my Wave or Charge TTi, I thought the Surge would end up in the same corner, liked ... but not loved  ::)

So after receiving the Wenger Ranger 58, I knew that maybe these Ranger knives were what I needed in my collection, they are relatively "cheap", come in a number of varieties and they look/feel great.

So, about four weeks ago, during my vacation in Austria, I visited Vaduz, the capital of Lichtenstein, and it was there that I bought my second Ranger, the yellow "alpineclub" Ranger some of you may have seen in my "SAKs in public places" topic.  But about an hour after I bought that one, I saw a Ranger from the Victorinox Delémont collection for the first time, and I was just amazed by this beautiful looking knife ...

So, I got myself a Victorinox RangerGrip 179, this knife brought the best of two brands together,  it was a 130mm Wenger knife, but with the Vic can opener, awl, and even tweezers and toothpick ... I didn't know it at that time, but a new type of SAK virus had infected me ...

So, today I got my hands on two new RangerGrip knives, the RangerGrip 55 and the RangerGrip 71 (Gardener), the Gardener is always the two handed blade version, but for the other one I picked the two handed blade version on purpose. 

First of all, I can count the times that I needed a OHO blade in the last couple of years on one hand ... ( ::)). 
And second, I do like to go abroad from time to time, and sadly, a OHO blade is far from legal in a lot of countries. 
Third, I like the fact the the THO blade is a lot slimmer when the knife is closed.  And when opened, I feel the thumb hole on the OHO version sits in the way while using the knife for some precision works, for me the THO version feels better in my hand.
And last but not least, I think the THO version looks better than the OHO one, I just love how the back of the blade just "flows over" in the back of the handle, if you know what I mean, and I don't like the fact that the OHO version is quite a bit thinner under the thumb hole.

So, enough said, here are the pics ...

The scissors on the Gardener are the best ones I've ever seen on a multitool ... very, very impressive  :o

I also got some Wenger sheaths for them  ;).

And here are some pics of my complete Victorinox Delémont collection (up till now, that is ...).  I took some pics of the OHO and THO version next to each other, so you can see what I mean when I'm talking about the thumb hole and so ...

So, I hope you guys enjoyed the pics  ;).

Greetings from Belgium  :salute:.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Victorinox RangerGrip 55 and 71 Gardener (pic heavy !!!)
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:34 AM
WOW!!!!!!  Me likey!!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:30 AM
Very nice!  :tu:  I see what you mean with the THO vs OHO. I'm thinking THO takes it.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:08:29 AM
Some nice BIG Wengers there

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:17:41 AM
They certainly do look impressive! :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:53:15 AM
Just when I thought I was done with Sak's .. Those are totally awesome. I really hate this site :)

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:13:24 AM
those look amazing!

I really like my Rangergrip 178,  I think the 179 is a better choice, but for $21 I was not going to complain
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:19 AM

Nice knives!  :tu:

(Good work Tim and Nikola! He's hooked now!  >:D)

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 03:37:25 PM
Nice collection!
The new Ranger 71 Gardener is very close to the Rangergrip 71 Gardener (Ranger 71.822).
You can see pictures in this topic
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,32456.msg813925.html#msg813925

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:59:06 PM
Wait, you don't have a 55 yet. :ahhh

;)

Great pics as usual too. :2tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:05 PM
Just when I thought I was done with Sak's .. Those are totally awesome. I really hate this site :)

Sak's  rule !

Try one mate, I'm pretty sure you'll like it  :pok:.

:whistle:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:14 PM

Sak's  rule !

I picked up this Wenger Ranger 78, love the push button blade lock.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:41:58 PM

Sak's  rule !

I picked up this Wenger Ranger 78, love the push button blade lock.

(Image removed from quote.)

Sak's  rule !

Guess I'll have to make a phone call to Victorinox to talk about my commision  :D.

Great looking knife mate, and yes, the push button is very nice.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:42:26 PM
those look amazing!

I really like my Rangergrip 178,  I think the 179 is a better choice, but for $21 I was not going to complain

Wait a minute ... you paid $21 for a Rangergrip 178  :sa:.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 12:08:28 AM
Top-thread ...  :2tu:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 01:20:14 AM
I really love 130 mm Saks, and the OHO is the best looking for me, but I do understand your feelings and opinions about THO... even if they're wrong :D (just kidding)

Great pics

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 01:13:58 AM
Let me give you guys an update, here's my current "Ranger" collection:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:18 AM
Here's something I noticed when I was taking pics of my Ranger knives, on the new Victorinox Rangers there are always two liners that are not polished like the others, and they are always two liners next to the awl, see pic.

Not that it's important, I just thought it was a bit peculiar...

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 03:20:28 AM

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 06:14:17 PM
Here's something I noticed when I was taking pics of my Ranger knives, on the new Victorinox Rangers there are always two liners that are not polished like the others, and they are always two liners next to the awl, see pic.

Well the non polished ones aren't important, the polished ones are. :P

They are stainless steel, that's why they are polished. And they are stainless for two reasons. One is that the second one is actually the liner lock, so it has to be steel, can't create a liner lock from aluminium liners. ;) And the second reason is visible if you look inside the handles. You'll notice that both the outside liner (shield side) and the liner that serves as the liner lock have a 1/4" hole for bits in them, to serve as a 1/4" (6mm) bit driver like on the Mike Horn Ranger. Not all NewRangers (be it Vic or Wenger) have the bit hole cutout in the scales but all have the cutout in the first two liners.

Pic borrowed from Dan.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:43 PM

Well the non polished ones aren't important, the polished ones are. :P

They are stainless steel, that's why they are polished. And they are stainless for two reasons. One is that the second one is actually the liner lock, so it has to be steel, can't create a liner lock from aluminium liners. ;) And the second reason is visible if you look inside the handles. You'll notice that both the outside liner (shield side) and the liner that serves as the liner lock have a 1/4" hole for bits in them, to serve as a 1/4" (6mm) bit driver like on the Mike Horn Ranger. Not all NewRangers (be it Vic or Wenger) have the bit hole cutout in the scales but all have the cutout in the first two liners.

Pic borrowed from Dan.

(Image removed from quote.)

Guess I was pretty close when I said it was a bit peculiar ... (I know, I know,  :pommel:).

Thanks for the info Nikola, I didn't know they all had the bit driver there, and I hadn't thought about the liner lock  :-[.

Always nice to learn new things  :D.

Thanks mate  :salute:.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:18:29 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 12:50:22 AM

:tu:

ru Offline now you ready

Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:06 PM

Fantastic knife, fantastic shot!
Wenger EvoWood: Ranger 55, S557, 17, 14, 14 Pear, 10, 10 Junior, Nailclip, 81
Victorinox EvoWood: Ranger 55, S557, 17, 14, 10
Victorinox Hardwood: Champ, Huntsman, Spartan
Victorinox: CT34, SwissBeat, Solo, S52

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 08:27:13 PM
Small update  8).

Last week I came across a RangerWood 55 which had such a sweet color/patern of wood I just couldn't resist it ... ( even my wife told me to buy it, since you have to be lucky with these SAK's with wooden scales).

Here are the pics:

First pics are from the RangerWood I already owned (to show the difference).

And here's the new one:

And now some pics of both of them:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 09:25:12 PM
Wow!!!  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 11:22:56 PM
The wood scales on the new one are fantastic mate. If I get a ranger, I might have a go at making a pair.

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 09:18:04 AM
Say Heah Boys and Girls,  Yeah I got the Victorinox Delemont Collection Ranger Grip 78,  But sometimes I wish I got the 79 with the Corkscrew instead of the Phillips.  With a Corkscrew,  I could use it to untangle paranoid,  unless I could think of maybe modifying my Phillips for another tool,  right now,  I use my 78 as a back up  for my Lite Carry Trio.  My Mora 2000, Mora Hatchet  and the Baccho Laplander,  When I go out for a Afternoon Delight  my usual hot cup of coffee on the open fire and a baked potato.  But with the Brush growing crazy,  I'm going to use my Case Set,  my Case Pawnee,  the Case Jungle Machete Knife  which is a long10" blade  to clear the path and my Wooden Handle Fiskar Saw, and my Gerber with the Awl which is a tool that comes in handy in the bush for minor repairs.  I use the same Haversack for my other C's,  But I'm thinking on getting a Farmer.  Does anyone know the type of stainless the Vic's are made of ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 06:11:23 PM
Say Heah Boys and Girls,  Yeah I got the Victorinox Delemont Collection Ranger Grip 78,  But sometimes I wish I got the 79 with the Corkscrew instead of the Phillips.  With a Corkscrew,  I could use it to untangle paranoid,  unless I could think of maybe modifying my Phillips for another tool,  right now,  I use my 78 as a back up  for my Lite Carry Trio.  My Mora 2000, Mora Hatchet  and the Baccho Laplander,  When I go out for a Afternoon Delight  my usual hot cup of coffee on the open fire and a baked potato.  But with the Brush growing crazy,  I'm going to use my Case Set,  my Case Pawnee,  the Case Jungle Machete Knife  which is a long10" blade  to clear the path and my Wooden Handle Fiskar Saw, and my Gerber with the Awl which is a tool that comes in handy in the bush for minor repairs.  I use the same Haversack for my other C's,  But I'm thinking on getting a Farmer.  Does anyone know the type of stainless the Vic's are made of ?

Victorinox uses X55CrMo14 aka 1.4110 stainless. Its good stuff, but it wont be winning any awards for edge retention. Its damn easy to touch up though.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 08:54:35 PM

Victorinox uses X55CrMo14 aka 1.4110 stainless. Its good stuff, but it wont be winning any awards for edge retention. Its damn easy to touch up though.
Thanx

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21