Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Please tell me I am not the only one....

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Please tell me I am not the only one....
on: July 06, 2008, 08:53:56 PM
I love my pocket clipped tools, they are great for convience sake and they make for another carry option that otherwise would not be there. I however am clumsy, always brusing myself and whatnot (lets not get into great detal here  ;) ) I tend to bend the clips accidently on my tools. Even some of my knives I have had to unscrew and re-bend them back into shape. For the record, a Skeletool takes a T8 Torx and the Kick a T10. The clips made for the Charge and Wave models arn't as forgiving, I bent one of those one time and upon the effort to fix it....SNAP! So in short, anyone else out there having to do the same kind of "ahem" maintence on thier tools?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Please tell me I am not the only one....
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:11:19 PM
I have not... But, I ruin my sheaths pretty quickly!
B

Offline Hoghead

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:44 AM
I EDC a BO Charge Ti and a Benchmade Griptillion cliped to my pockets. I haven't had any problems with them.

I did bend the clip on a large Sebenza. I was carrying luggage into a motel and when I reached for the outside door handle the bag caught on the pocket clip and pulled the knife out of my pocket. I didn't know it happened and only found it because I had to make a second trip to the car.

My son has had some problems with pocket clips and seat belts in his company truck.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:14:08 AM
Not clips but sheaths tend to always hang on things for me :( Thankfully none of them have ever broken ......yet  :-\
I don't clip carry a whole lot so it's never been a problem  ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:11:49 AM
I've had no problems so far, but I only occasionally carry anything pocket-clipped, so I'm not saying it won't - just hasn't yet!

I used to come here a lot.

Offline silentio

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:18 AM
I carry my Skeletool using the clip everyday too, but my problem is a little different from yours.

My jeans has this little pocket on the right, which is inside the main pocket. Usually meant for loose change. I think most jeans have that. This one's a little different, it isn't vertical, but tilted to the right slightly. And it was the perfect size for my skeletool. But after a while, i found a hole caused by the top of the tool rubbing against the denim from repeated sitting and getting up.

I now clip it in my front left main pocket. Haven't damaged it yet, nor my jeans. But i have to say, my jeans are pretty baggy. I have a feeling tight jeans may cause more potential for damage. Maybe it's time you switched to larger pants?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:02 AM
I carry my Skeletool using the clip everyday too, but my problem is a little different from yours.

My jeans has this little pocket on the right, which is inside the main pocket. Usually meant for loose change. I think most jeans have that. This one's a little different, it isn't vertical, but tilted to the right slightly. And it was the perfect size for my skeletool. But after a while, i found a hole caused by the top of the tool rubbing against the denim from repeated sitting and getting up.

I now clip it in my front left main pocket. Haven't damaged it yet, nor my jeans. But i have to say, my jeans are pretty baggy. I have a feeling tight jeans may cause more potential for damage. Maybe it's time you switched to larger pants?

All of my right front trouser pockets have varying degrees of wear and tear from carrying knives and tools with clips.

The fabric at the top of the pockets where the clip slides on and off gets worn and frayed, and eventually it'll result in a small hole all the way through the fabric.  Pockets of thinner slacks fray quicker than jeans, but even jeans will fray eventually.

Some clips seem to be a little worse than others for wear probably due to being tighter, but any decent clip is going to be fairly tight for retention.

Unless you want to sew extra-heavy-duty reinforcement patches on your pockets, this is something you'll probably just have to live with.

I like the convenience of clipped carry too much to worry about what it does to my pockets.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD