Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3 in 1 oil?

us Offline Tulku

Re: 3 in 1 oil?
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 11:02:55 PM
Ive got a small amount of Nano oil I use on tools that I do not intend to eat off of, I think it works great but maybe thats because I paid $18 for a few drops...

I've got it free from Christian/Nano-oil owner and still think it's a great oil. ;)

He does giveaways here regularly for 5 years now. :tu:

That's great news! It definitely works and I do prefer it to triflow.
You want some of this defibrillator?

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:54 AM
Just keep in mind that WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a solvent.  It's what you get the old oil (and all the dirt it's carrying) out of the tool with.

And I end up getting enough engine oil on my tools to where lubrication isn't really a problem.  :D
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 08:05:46 AM
Just keep in mind that WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a solvent.  It's what you get the old oil (and all the dirt it's carrying) out of the tool with.

And I end up getting enough engine oil on my tools to where lubrication isn't really a problem.  :D

I had wanted to say this in my post also but forgot.  :facepalm:

WD-40 works but it does not last to long compared to 3/1 or CLP.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:36 PM
I use nothing but 3 in 1 oil on my tools, no ill effects at all.  WD40 seems to attract too much dust IIRC.  It's been so long since I've used it I can't really remember.  But 3 in 1 is great.  I used it to clean as well.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 01:15:50 PM

Shhhh!  You'll get told off for saying that. ::)

FWIW, I agree with you.  WD40 is a smurf lubricant.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:27 PM

Not here, we all agree that you use wd40 to clean the tool, wash the wd40 out with lots of water and lubricate it with propper oil. :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 02:11:03 PM

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:12 PM
Hi

Figures something like this would be my first post....  :facepalm: Introductions to follow....

Try Balistol Oil.  I apply and then rinse under hot water to get rid of excess, seems to work better than anything else I tried.

This is a great site, excellent forum - a dastardly entity that's cost me (too much of my 3rd world) money already!  8)

Cheers
Gerhard

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 04:12:21 PM
I am also a fan of WD -40. Use it to flush out and clean he tools all the time. A little Break Free on the joints of the tool if they start feeling dry,helps also. :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:10 PM
W-D 40 and 3in1 are both good. After cleaning knifes, black powder guns, surplus ammo  with hot water I blow the excess water with air. Hose everything down with W-D 40 then back to the air hose to remove the excess W-D 40. The deal with W-D 40 it dry's up fairly fast if you leave a lot on metal it will turn gummy but left thin it leaves a smooth dry lubed surface. So I like to use W-D 40 for multitools but l like non or slow drying oil for moving parts. 3in1 and most gun oils work great. Brownells did corrosion test years ago only a few high dollar gun oils worked as well as WD-40 for defending against rust and was recommended for people who EDC hand guns.   
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:02 PM

Not here, we all agree that you use wd40 to clean the tool, wash the wd40 out with lots of water and lubricate it with propper oil. :)

I don't..........

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 09:51:01 PM

I don't..........

Nate

You have to be different, don't you. :P

>:D

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:07 PM
WD-40 over the whole tool, then clean/wipe off any excess with a rag. Then lubricate any pivot points with sewing machine oil. Works for me

Offline mikekoz

Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 01:00:05 AM
   I use 3 in 1, Tuf-Glide, and Buck Knife oil that I found in a country store years ago. I have used WD-40 also.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:21 AM

I don't..........

Nate

You have to be different, don't you. :P

>:D

Something about a pot and a kettle comes to mind here.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 02:18:35 PM
I'd do it in a slightly different order, and wash the water off with WD40 rather than the WD40 off with water. Given you're trying to get rid of water and get something oily in there...

I use 3-in-1 on Nano-Oil after the wash with WD40.
And I don't actually use branded WD40, I use an off-brand one that's half the price, still comes in a can with a red squirty-bit, smells the same, looks the same, does the same. At work we get it in bulk too.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:01 PM
Coconut oil is the best..  :drool: :rofl: :gimme:
coconut oil.jpg
* coconut oil.jpg (Filesize: 42.41 KB)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 14, 2015, 03:49:45 AM
I always use the same routine with old MTs.

Soak in boiling water with dish soap. Use old toothbrush and scotch brites to clean.

Put in pre heated oven 200°C+ to completely evaporate ALL traces of moisture.

Remove after 20-30mins with tongs and drench in WD40 - leave to cool slightly, remove excess and work ALL tools. Then apply thin oil to joints/linkages.

Supersmooth :tu:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #48 on: June 17, 2016, 09:27:49 PM
Hi

Figures something like this would be my first post....  :facepalm: Introductions to follow....

Try Balistol Oil.  I apply and then rinse under hot water to get rid of excess, seems to work better than anything else I tried.

This is a great site, excellent forum - a dastardly entity that's cost me (too much of my 3rd world) money already!  8)

Cheers
Gerhard

Tri-Flow
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #49 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:41 PM
Hi

Cheers
Gerhard

Tri-Flow
Now this thread necroing is just getting silly
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:53 PM
Hi

Cheers
Gerhard

Tri-Flow
Now this thread necroing is just getting silly

I see you have met my apprentice :vader:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99