Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day trip to France

Offline Abstraction

Day trip to France
on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:43 PM
I'm heading to France on the ferry this weekend, mainly to pick up cheap alcohol  ;) Anyone know what sort of laws France has on carrying tools, and whether Ferry companies are picky about what you take on board?  I've not been on a ferry in about 8 years so my memory of being able to take on whatever you want may be a bit outdated now!  Not planning on taking any folding knives but would want to take my spirit and a few SAK's, i doubt the saks woul be a problem when actually in France, but i dont know if the ferry company would like them, and i don't know aboutcarrying locking multi's in France!  Obviously with their 'guilty until proven innocent, especially when English' take on things it wouldnt be a good plan to piss any authorities off!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Day trip to France
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:42:42 PM
France's laws are generally a lot more sensible that our own (until fairly recently they sold BP revolvers in petrol station :D) but to be on the safe side stick to your saks mate :)

Oh and pick yourself up some cheap Opinels while your there mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:48:28 PM
With no legal value...
On the ferry:
no problem with SAKs; would keep the locking multi discreet as anywhere
I have just travelled via a French-owned ferry with a non-locking multi and Case Sodbuster, they don't care as they sell Laguioles at the boutique... Actually nobody ask, I did not see any warnings or anything. Might be another ball game with British-owned ferries though.

In France:
SAKs no prob (they don't lock so they are tools, period). In theory, any locking blade is a Category 6 weapon (swarods, daggers, batons, etc; they cannot be carried), but so are Opinels. I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody annoyed by the police for an Opinel or a multitool in normal circumstances (if you eating your picnic, repairing something,... but if you are caught in a demo (frequent in my home country  :)) or start waiving a balde around, then even a SAK can be bad news for you). Basically it is similar in principle to the UK but without the knife paranoia (probably because there is an actual problem with gun control in France, unlike in the UK, so 'normal' knives (ie tools) don't look so bad, and the police is armed).
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

Offline FredKJ

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 04:17:20 PM
Don't forget the special French mod SAK with trouffle digger impliment and skewer.  You'll definitely want a corkscrew. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:27:58 PM by Benner »

Offline Abstraction

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:13 AM
Good call on the Opinel's!  I used to have one years ago but no idea what happened to it, think i lent it to someone on  trek somewhere!  May have to pick up a couple, i see they make more than the standard type nowdays.... I assume you're pretty much guarenteed to be getting the real thing?  Doubt they would be worth making fakes of given their price voer there!  Think i'll just stick to carrying the SAK's then, maybe leave the swisstool in the glove box! 

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:04:12 AM
Oh France! I love French Girls! Happy trip, Abstraction!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:10:16 AM
Oh France! I love French Girls! Happy trip, Abstraction!

Only a day trip so no time to pick any of them up  :P will be spending a fair bit of our time there in calais though, so will wander round the beach taking in the views im sure  ;)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:12:17 AM
I know you can carry Victorinox USP SAK in France.

Mr.Bean did  :D :angel:

http://www.mrbeansholiday.net/main2.html
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:47:54 AM
Good call on the Opinel's!  I used to have one years ago but no idea what happened to it, think i lent it to someone on  trek somewhere!  May have to pick up a couple, i see they make more than the standard type nowdays.... I assume you're pretty much guarenteed to be getting the real thing?  Doubt they would be worth making fakes of given their price voer there!  Think i'll just stick to carrying the SAK's then, maybe leave the swisstool in the glove box! 
Copies may exist, but I've only ever seen the genuine article :)

I had a number 6 for yonk's, and it was a great little knife, with lot's of character :)

Offline Abstraction

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 01:51:50 AM
Im incredibly drunk, but im back  :D In have 3 bottles of rum, 2 bottles of whiskey and 4 crates of beer, but no opinels!  They were about £10 over there and only £5-7 on amazon,co,uk! 

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 08:31:49 AM
and the French women?! tell tell :twak:

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 09:48:48 AM
and the French women?! tell tell :twak:

+1  :D

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:09:33 AM
Im incredibly drunk, but im back  :D In have 3 bottles of rum, 2 bottles of whiskey and 4 crates of beer, but no opinels!  They were about £10 over there and only £5-7 on amazon,co,uk! 
Best stay away from the net then, just in case you make any 'interesting' purchases :D

Shame about the Opinel's :(

Offline Abstraction

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 11:01:02 AM
Best stay away from the net then, just in case you make any 'interesting' purchases :D

Shame about the Opinel's :(

You mean like the two opinels i apparently ordered last night  :P  As for the French women we didnt see nearly as many as i would have liked :P weather was amazing but we couldnt find a beach!  Ended up spending most the day outside a restaurant eating various meats and cheeses and drinking double grundenburgen (really really tasty)!

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:01 PM
Well you can't say I didn't warn you :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!