Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not so pleasant surprise.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Not so pleasant surprise.
on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:08 AM
   Well I opened up the back of my LED Lenser H5 and found a leaking battery and corrosion. I'm kind of bummed.  :( I cleaned it with baking soda and water (with Q-Tip's), but things got a little wet. I will let it dry for at least a week before even trying it again to make sure it is nice and dry. It should be good, but I am very hesitant to ever leave batteries in it again. I think I will just leave it in the car with batteries separate for emergency tire changes or repairs. Just to be clear I did not put batteries in it and just let it sit. I use it all the time. The batteries have probably been in it for 3 months.
   I was using Duracell's and I know they offer product replacement if your product is damaged from a leaky battery, but they require the battery and the product. I already cleaned the headlamp so I cant go down that road. I will post pics once my camera battery charges.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Not so pleasant surprise.
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:06 AM
Put it in rice to help it dry out mate :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:02:19 AM
Put it in rice to help it dry out mate :)

I don't have any rice and I don't think its that necessary really.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:38:49 PM
That's good then :)

I fixed an iPod Nano that went through the washing machine like that ::)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 03:50:54 PM
That's good then :)

I fixed an iPod Nano that went through the washing machine like that ::)

Just for the record, rice does only help with the drying, in order to avoid deposits (salts mainly), I highly recommend washing the device with distilled water (especially, when its expensive electronics).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 04:07:18 PM
I try to be extra conscious of fans/lights/radios where I leave batteries installed. Just the other day I emptied some old batteries out of one of my lanterns and who's to say how much longer until corrosion but I feel I saved the light! Anyhow I'm pretty paranoid about this sort of thing for just this reason Cap'n. Take care of those electronics!
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:24:59 PM
I only leave eneloop type batteries in devices for a long time, as they do not leak.

I did, however, post a picture a few days ago of some rayovac AA alkalines that were left in a device for over 10 years and were still working fine, with no leaking
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 05:57:47 PM
   Well I opened up the back of my LED Lenser H5 and found a leaking battery and corrosion. I'm kind of bummed.  :( I cleaned it with baking soda and water (with Q-Tip's), but things got a little wet. I will let it dry for at least a week before even trying it again to make sure it is nice and dry. It should be good, but I am very hesitant to ever leave batteries in it again. I think I will just leave it in the car with batteries separate for emergency tire changes or repairs. Just to be clear I did not put batteries in it and just let it sit. I use it all the time. The batteries have probably been in it for 3 months.
   I was using Duracell's and I know they offer product replacement if your product is damaged from a leaky battery, but they require the battery and the product. I already cleaned the headlamp so I cant go down that road. I will post pics once my camera battery charges.

Sorry to hear that. GPs leak like clockwork to the point I only recommend them to my enemies  >:D but I have never had a Duracell leak. Hope you get fixed up and please let us know if Duracell honored their guarantee.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 07:10:55 PM

Sorry to hear that. GPs leak like clockwork to the point I only recommend them to my enemies  >:D but I have never had a Duracell leak. Hope you get fixed up and please let us know if Duracell honored their guarantee.

I'm not up to snuff much on flashlights but...what are "GP's"?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 07:11:50 PM

Sorry to hear this buddy!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:36:21 PM
Only put Alkalines in a flashlight you are prepared to destroy. Led Lensers fit in that category for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:15 PM
Only put Alkalines in a flashlight you are prepared to destroy. Led Lensers fit in that category for me.

What kind of batteries should you use?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:41 AM

LOL!
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 03:14:43 AM

NiMH or Lithium-ion are preferred.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 03:44:13 AM

Thanks Cap!!!! I'll have to remember that when I get a nice light. :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:13 AM

:tu:

I ONLY use NiMH Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables or Lithium-ion's in my Zebralight.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 04:04:38 AM

I've used Duracells and Costco branded batteries for the last 10 years.  I typically check my bags/kits/cars for knifes and flashlights when we change to/from daylight savings every year.  Thus far, I've been able to avoid any damage.

:tu:

I ONLY use NiMH Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables or Lithium-ion's in my Zebralight.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 05:22:49 AM
Years ago, I gave my parents a 2 D cell Maglite. My Dad dropped some no name HD batteries in and stuck it in the headboard of their bed. They then moved to the farm. Eight years later on a trip back home, they decided they needed it at the farm....it then got misplaced down at the farm (my Mom is forever "picking up" items and they are usually gone for a while.....  ::) ).

Years later, Dad handed the light to me and ask me to change the batteries because they were weak. Weak they were, barely burning......tried to unscrew the tail cap...no go. it was welded shut. I told Dad it was probably ruined but he said "let me have a look at it".  We stuck it in a vice and used a pair water pump pliers...nope...next a pipe wrench...eureka!!!!!!!!

Totally welded in batteries...I said total loss, toss it! Dad said I'll work on it.

Next time we visited, Dad showed me his working Maglite.  Had taken a hammer and an old screwdriver, pried out the batteries (only the one near the tail cap had leaked), cleaned it up, polished the inside with sandpaper wrapped around broom handle and got that thing to work. It would probably still be working but the big fire took it.   :ahhh

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 05:46:27 AM
Great story. Sad about losing it in the fire though.

Just remember what batteries are in it and if they damage your light that company will replace the product for free. Most reputable battery companies have a leak free guarantee.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 05:52:34 AM

Just remember what batteries are in it and if they damage your light that company will replace the product for free. Most reputable battery companies have a leak free guarantee.

They were DG (Dollar General) brand....   :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 06:13:13 AM

They were DG (Dollar General) brand....   :facepalm:

Yea I absolutely NEVER use anything besides Duracell, Energizer, or rechargeable.
I'm the milk man!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 07:51:19 AM
Just remember that Lithium primaries and Lithium Ion are two different beasts.  What people are saying is use NiMh and Energizer Ultimate Lithium single use cells. Not 4.2v Lithium Ion rechargeable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 04:49:51 PM
Costco had a good deal on Eneloops which I'm sure comes up often.  I picked up 2 packs and run these exclusively in all my lights.  I run duracel Cr123's in my Fenix but take them out since I don't use that light all to often.  I did run some cheap panasonic AA/AAA's in light prior to my eneloops and thankfully didn't have any issues. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline rebel

Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:54 PM

I'm not up to snuff much on flashlights but...what are "GP's"?

Oh it's not a flashlight thing. It's a brand of Chinese batteries that gets sold in third world banana republics like where I am stuck now but I saw them on ebay too. Don't go there!

Duracell. Problems are very rare. I have used them in nearly everything for over 30 years and never ever saw a leak. I am perfectly happy to rely on them. Obviously they can leak. It's just that they don't do it very often. Other brands, yeah. I think Energizers are pretty good these days too but I just prefer using the same things I've always used.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:50 PM
Just remember that Lithium primaries and Lithium Ion are two different beasts.  What people are saying is use NiMh and Energizer Ultimate Lithium single use cells. Not 4.2v Lithium Ion rechargeable

Yeah but Lithium primaries in normal alkaline sizes are horribly overpriced. The only good reason to buy them is for something that absolutely has to work 10 years from now after sitting the whole time unused.

Costco had a good deal on Eneloops which I'm sure comes up often.  I picked up 2 packs and run these exclusively in all my lights.  I run duracel Cr123's in my Fenix but take them out since I don't use that light all to often.  I did run some cheap panasonic AA/AAA's in light prior to my eneloops and thankfully didn't have any issues.

Duracell lithium primaries like the CR123A should not leak. You should not have to remove them. The only thing is if you have a device that runs on multiple CR123As be very careful to use matched cells and don't switch them around. Mixing old and new is a recipe for a nice battery explosion and fire and some chemical burns or worse.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 10:51:30 PM
I only leave eneloop type batteries in devices for a long time, as they do not leak.

This.  Just about everything in my secret underground bunker runs on Eneloops, from flashlights to game remotes and everything else.  And they have a very low self-discharge rate.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 07:04:41 AM
my wisdom has been recognised   :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 07:10:53 AM
A footnote in Led Lenser's manuals says not to use rechargeable cells in their lights, citing "possible damage" to the light.

I don't see how a Ni-MH battery would damage a flashlight, since they produce slightly less voltage (around 1.3 when fully charged) than an alkaline (1.7 max, 1.5 typical).  Bull smurf warning to sell their very expensive rechargeable flashlights, or actual engineering issue?
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 07:14:34 AM
A footnote in Led Lenser's manuals says not to use rechargeable cells in their lights, citing "possible damage" to the light.

I don't see how a Ni-MH battery would damage a flashlight, since they produce slightly less voltage (around 1.3 when fully charged) than an alkaline (1.7 max, 1.5 typical).  Bull smurf warning to sell their very expensive rechargeable flashlights, or actual engineering issue?

I believe this can actually cause damage and have read about this. I cannot remember exactly why, but i'm sure you could find out exactly why with some research.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:29 AM
The discharge curves of rechargeable batteries and Alkaline batteries are different.

The alkaline does have a higher original voltage but that gets lower quickly, whereas the rechargeable ones start a bit lower, but stay at about the same voltage until they are nearly empty.

Most modern Recheargeables will also be able to sustain a higher current without sagging (try to run an XML emitter with alkalines and NiMh and see which one is best). Originally the alkalines may produce a brighter light, but....

Some older equipment needs the higher voltage to work properly, and will stop working when the voltage goes to where a NiMh working voltage will be.

Most companies test their equipment with alkalines (results/spec) are worried about what the buyer may put in the equipment (wrong batteries(e.g. LiIons), whether the buyer will get different results, that he may try to charge alkalines etc) or may even be associated with an alakaline (i.e. primary) battery maker, so they just put a warning there, so that you can not sue them.

In theory, the different discharging behaviour and the different voltage may affect the boost/electronic system, if it is optimised for one type of battery, but this is mainly theory.  Most/all makers know that people will use rechargeables and make their products accordingly.

I have never had an issue of damage, and nearly all electronic products say not to use rechargeables.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%