Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissor Spring Question

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Scissor Spring Question
on: January 27, 2016, 06:12:50 PM
I have recently noticed on my most current 91mm SAKs--Super Tinker and Explorer (I mostly buy used 91mm due to the often low prices) that instead of the scissor spring being bent at a 90 degree angle in order to contact the scissor arm properly, the springs have a dent stamped into the metal instead.  Both of these were made ca. after 2012, as they both have brass rivets holding the two halves of the scissors together. 

When was this change done?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:17:11 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Scissor Spring Question
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:20 PM
In 1990 the spring design was changed so that the "free" end of the spring is cupped and rides in a groove in the pivoting side of the scissors. I assume this is the change you're referring to.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:49:17 PM
Now I see what you mean, after looking at my Fieldmaster (purchased new in '06), it has it as well. I had been looking at the replacement scissor spring of my Craftsman, which was replaced last year. 

I guess all the replacement scissor/plier springs have this 90 degree bend?

Also, will a modern spring with the dent in the end work on an older one without this dent/groove combo?  I borrowed the spring from my Super Tinker to put on the scissors of a 1970s Craftsman model as a quick fix, as the springs I ordered at the same time as the knife still haven't shipped, even though the knife arrives today.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:52:28 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:57 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a Explorer from the 80's that needs a scissor spring. Does that mean I need a "old" style spring?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:32:14 PM
If I understood the question... yes...

No, the old springs are made of unobtainium.
Yes, the new springs will fit but not snuggly.. think of balancing a sphere on a cube... it will stay on, but it won't be as stable as either stacking two cubes or nesting the sphere in a cup.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline wyatth

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:26:45 PM
Crap. My dad gave me a Climber that needs a spring and I didn't know there were differences. Unsure about the age, but the scissor pivot is not brass so seemingly pre-2012.

Any idea which is spring is right? Thanks.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:52:32 PM
Is there a little dished groove on the scissor where the spring rides.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:55:09 PM
Got my springs in today and noticed something--the Craftsman (made 1977 according to here and Young's The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, which specified the fine screwdriver came out in 1977)--has a scissor hole that is smaller in diameter than newer knives.   

All replacements are of the older type from my knowledge.  I have never received the modern type as a replacement part.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:58:18 AM
Got my springs in today and noticed something--the Craftsman (made 1977 according to here and Young's The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, which specified the fine screwdriver came out in 1977)--has a scissor hole that is smaller in diameter than newer knives.   

The 1977 date for the fine screwdriver actually comes from Victorinox, and is most likely incorrect. There are far too many pre-1974 knives out there with it. That said, the spring hole size on the scissors did change around 1977 from the small 1.5mm hole to the current 1.9mm hole. Post a picture of your Craftsman with the tools out, tang stamp visible and I'll tell you when it was most likely made.

us Offline wyatth

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:52 AM

I believe so, which means it's post 1990. But then it sounds like all replacement springs are the old type... Hmm

This is what I was about to buy, until I saw this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035MX7BY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A2M1W6RQC7V8KB
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:49:40 AM by wyatth »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 05:09:16 AM

I believe so, which means it's post 1990. But then it sounds like all replacement springs are the old type... Hmm

(Image removed from quote.)

This is what I was about to buy, until I saw this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035MX7BY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A2M1W6RQC7V8KB
Those are the right ones for your SAK. All replacement springs are the new style, with the cup to fit in the new style scissor's groove
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 05:16:00 AM
In a spring repair kit, there is a 1.37 and a 1.37N. Those amazon ones look cupped like the new style.

added:  :salute: I'm too slow....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:22:23 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline wyatth

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 07:03:24 AM
Thanks, guys!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!