Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi tool suggestions for a college student?

us Offline Nat3345

• New User
Multi tool suggestions for a college student?
on: May 01, 2016, 12:05:32 AM
I just got into college a few day ago(yay!) and I will be moving to NH this Fall. My dad wants me to carry around a multi tool just in case(he's an ex-military). He usually carries around a Leatherman Signal, but I think that's a little overkill for me. Do you guys have any recommendation for an entry level multi tool? Thanks!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Multi tool suggestions for a college student?
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:56:42 AM
Leatherman Wingman is a good urban EDC, and covers the basics, screwdrivers, scissors, blade, pliers, wire stripper, wore cutter and can/bottle opener. Plus it has a bonus package opener (super useful for blister packs).

If you dont need or want pliers,  get a SAK. A Victorinix Super Tinker has two flatheads, a phillips driver, scissors, bottle and can opener, awl and large and small blades.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:59:59 AM
What are you looking for in a Multi? My first thought would be a juice s2. Non locking blade under 3" should be legal in most states, basic tool set and small enough to carry without noticing it's there. My second thought is maybe an MP400. Very easy to pocket and can handle most of what is thrown at it. Also consider a Super Tinker. No pliers but is great for edc.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:13:09 AM
Leatherman Wingman is a good urban EDC, and covers the basics, screwdrivers, scissors, blade, pliers, wire stripper, wore cutter and can/bottle opener. Plus it has a bonus package opener (super useful for blister packs).

If you dont need or want pliers,  get a SAK. A Victorinix Super Tinker has two flatheads, a phillips driver, scissors, bottle and can opener, awl and large and small blades.

+1

Another minimalist option would be the Skeletool. If you got a bit kit for it it would help you with any flat-pack furniture as well as other fixes. Not got anything to add regarding local knife-laws.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 02:21:16 AM
Secondhand Gerber MP600. 

Robust and cheap enough that if it gets lost/stolen its not a great financial loss.  Plus you can continually flick it open and shut to annoy others if you need entertainment.  :pok:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:23 AM
Secondhand Gerber MP600. 

Robust and cheap enough that if it gets lost/stolen its not a great financial loss.  Plus you can continually flick it open and shut to annoy others if you need entertainment.  :pok:

true, but his dad has an signal which to him is overkill. The mp600 is not exactly "pocket friendly." My guess is size and weight are the most important factors
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:35:36 AM
I wouldn't get a Wingman, Sidekick, or Rev. The clips don't hold too well IMO

Offline maximus0723

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 02:37:09 AM
I think you should decide if you want plier based tool or not? and will this be an everyday carry to classes?
If you are a college student and using multitool first time and want a plier based tool then go with Juice or smaller. If non-plier based tool then SAK. 

In college, I used Micra. I still regret loosing it. It was so useful. It's small, perfect for keychain and covers large bases.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:40:57 AM
A SOG Paratool,  it has good pocketability and the load out can be altered to fit your needs.  The big thing is what is allowed on your campus.  The SOG advantage is in being able to drop the knife.

Red plus scaled SAKs are also a good option, given the pen and the visual recognition.

Over my years (7.5) in college my edc evolved, and at one point or another included a Vic spartan, champion plus, soldier, swisscard, SOG Paratool, and LM knifless fuse.

The Paratool is one of my favorite MTs.  The other thing to remember is that you can carry it in your bag.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:27:13 AM
I would also seriously consider asking the Campus Security and look into the student manual about knife policies.

I emailed my Security Head and they confirmed pocket knives are fine 

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:49:35 AM
I would also seriously consider asking the Campus Security and look into the student manual about knife policies.

This is a good point. Often college campuses have stricter policies than the city they reside in regarding knife regulations. Not to mention cities often have stricter laws than the state! All of this can and usually is enforced by the campus/city police, with real legal and educational ramifications.

Dont be a fool. Measure the length of your tool.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

This is a good point. Often college campuses have stricter policies than the city they reside in regarding knife regulations. Not to mention cities often have stricter laws than the state! All of this can and usually is enforced by the campus/city police, with real legal and educational ramifications.

Dont be a fool. Measure the length of your tool.

That's what she said.

This is good advice, it also helps to try and work out the campus culture.  Some students might have even stricter rules.  (Won't get in official trouble but it can be annoying).  That is why I preferred a knifeless opition.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:10:26 AM by yud »

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline Dalton Siedschlag

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 06:49:58 AM
Wingman or wave, any MT you like will suffice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

us Offline Nat3345

• New User
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 08:11:27 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I checked with campus safety, they said it's ok if the blade length is under 3.5 inches, and the width is less than 1 inch. I think I'm going with the Wingman. Thanks again for all of your replies.  :climber:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:47 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I checked with campus safety, they said it's ok if the blade length is under 3.5 inches, and the width is less than 1 inch. I think I'm going with the Wingman. Thanks again for all of your replies.  :climber:

I liked it more than I thought, when I bought it because I needed a just-the-basics, lightweight quality MT.
You'll like it, I'm sure!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
I prefer the Juice S2. Better screwdrivers selection and scissors and more friendly.

The Wingman´s scissors suck
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:46:39 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:06 PM
Glad you found something. Just know, the longer you are here, the more tools you will have to choose from.
I prefer the Juice S2. Better screwdrivers selection and scissors and more friendly.

The Wingman´s scissors suck
I second that. Anything beside paper and you are better off using the knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%