Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no love for Cold Steel?

Kampfer · 1137 · 69951

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Why no love for Cold Steel?
Reply #180 on: September 19, 2016, 07:32:58 PM
We should really get this thread's title changes to "Kampfer & ThePeacent's Cold Steel Love Affair"
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #181 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:44 PM
 :twak:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #182 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:12 PM

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #183 on: September 19, 2016, 10:04:02 PM
I don't like their knifes, but I would like to try a walking stick or their shovel. I don't know where I could find them here.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #184 on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:05 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #185 on: September 19, 2016, 11:44:24 PM
Me either

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #186 on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:42 PM
I actually do like the looks of the Rajah, and the Tuff Lite. One of these days ill have to get one.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #187 on: September 20, 2016, 12:20:14 AM
I actually do like the looks of the Rajah, and the Tuff Lite. One of these days ill have to get one.
Rajah is a gigantic "pocket knife", if you can deal with its weight and size, you shall be rewarded with un-matched slicing, slashing and chopping power.   

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #188 on: September 20, 2016, 01:36:47 AM
Rajah is a gigantic "pocket knife", if you can deal with its weight and size, you shall be rewarded with un-matched slicing, slashing and chopping power.   
I may make it my camp knife.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #189 on: September 20, 2016, 03:25:41 AM
I may make it my camp knife.
It is my camp knife

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #190 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:20 AM
I don't like their knifes, but I would like to try a walking stick or their shovel. I don't know where I could find them here.

Here you go http://www.kalkantzakos.com/Category3/4298/mpastounia  :salute:

As for shovels, I'd try the Glock Entrenching tool.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #191 on: September 20, 2016, 09:02:03 AM
I know that knife vendors here distance themselves from CS and their videos/marketing, so they don't sell CS products.

Knife vendors here in Europe probably prefer, if knifes are seen as tools, and not as weapons. Mostly, if something happens with a knife we don't get to know what brand knife was used, but imagine the smurf-storm if someone uses a CS knife in a similar fashion to one of their "promotional videos".
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline styx

Reply #192 on: September 20, 2016, 03:01:40 PM
it's also that their prices are very high in Europe
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #193 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:16 PM
The last few days I have been playing with this knife. (now that the traditional challenge is over actually)

Its one solid knife; the handle is full sized and the blade is thick and stout. Grind is mid flat and it cuts really well.
CTS-XHP holds its edge well and feels like it sharpens easier than s30v on the stones.

The Triad lock is super strong and precise; it slows the action down but you will not disengage this by accident.

The contoured G10 texture is amazing, I think this is my "Ultimate Hunter" and will go along next hunting season.

hr Offline styx

Reply #194 on: September 20, 2016, 06:00:44 PM
Is that a Demko design?

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #195 on: September 20, 2016, 06:58:40 PM
Is that a Demko design?
Very much so; almost a production version of his AD10.
Many similar design elements.

I'll probably get my one knife maker buddy to cut me a finger choil. Its the one area it looks unfinished but it does work to close without chopping your fingers off. 

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #196 on: September 20, 2016, 07:32:23 PM
I saw a lot of positive reviews on this UH.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #197 on: September 20, 2016, 07:34:24 PM
Why no love for Cold Steel?

It's not cold steel, it's me.  I tried to make the relationship work (SRK, Master Hunter, Mini-tanto) but eventually I had to admit we just weren't right for each other and it would be better for both of us if we could move on with our lives.  I sold them all 20 years ago.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #198 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:23 PM

For shovel, try the west German surplus folding entrenching tool. Trust me, I had them all.

hr Offline styx

Reply #199 on: September 20, 2016, 08:42:01 PM
Is that a Demko design?

I'll probably get my one knife maker buddy to cut me a finger choil. Its the one area it looks unfinished but it does work to close without chopping your fingers off. 

thanks. going on the list. considering how many knives are on it i should start asking if someone wants to buy a kidney. good thing i have 3 cousins

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #200 on: September 20, 2016, 09:19:24 PM
Fall is here

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #201 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:38 PM
I haven't posted here but I've been carrying a Cold Steel for a couple of months now. I have not had any problems with edge retention, ease of use or carry. It's was the mini recon 1 but for work I have rotated in the Code 4. It is so slim that I forget I have a 3.5 inch blade on me.

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #202 on: September 21, 2016, 09:05:38 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #203 on: September 22, 2016, 02:56:59 PM
 :multi:
I see no love here for CS, I wonder why.

Go!
Me, I love dem CS KNIVES...customer/user since 1987!
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #204 on: September 23, 2016, 08:09:10 AM
Is that a Demko design?

Can't even save for it with the car installment........but that's a knife I really want.......
Speaking under correction, but I think there's an ApostleP video about that mod your thinking of......

BTW........I seem to be picking up some fresh Cold Steel hate on Youtube.......did I miss something?  :rofl:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #205 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:26 AM

For shovel, try the west German surplus folding entrenching tool. Trust me, I had them all.

You mean this one? (Not my picture)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #206 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:18 AM
Yes, that one.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #207 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:18 AM
Now we are off topic. Cold Steel is reachable and strong (no telescopic design) but a folding model that becomes a hoe like the BRD would be more handy (and can be stored under my driver's seat). I' look around since I'm not in a hurry. I have the Soviet all metal indestructible (with which I cleared thorny vegetation around my telescope on Mt Helmos for yet once more), I just would appreciate a longer handle now I'm growing older and need to stoop less often.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #208 on: September 23, 2016, 10:27:47 AM
Yes, that one.

The spike is interesting. I'm a little concerned with the wooden handle breaking. How does it lock?

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #209 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:22 AM
Those old E-tools lock with a spring loaded square bolt. That big "rivet" on the side is actualy the lock.
The tang of the tools and the handle socket have a square punch out that aligns aligns with the faces of the bolt. Push it from the other side and it slides part way out to disengage  and then snaps back in place when the tools are in any of the usable/stored postitons. Since it passes through both tool and into the cast/forged socket everything locks together solid.
Verry simple and sturdy.
I have one and it beats evrey other E-tool I've handled by every measure except weigh, they are heavy. Still my prefered, like to get another someday if I can find one.

Now since this is a Cold Steel thread how about a pic of the Recon 1 XL that has beein my EDC for about 6mo. I picked this knife specifically because it's right at the 5.5in legal limit for my state. It has proven to be a great usable knife if you dont mind the ocasional jaw drop reaction from some people. Then again I'm sure flipping my ST300 Bali style doesnt help people's immage of me either.

Took a bit of fiddling to figure out how to quickly draw such a big folder. I learned if I put my hand in my pocket and draw from the pivot end rather than from the tail/clip end that I can draw and open in one motion without changing grip.
1474622257318749823340.jpg
* 1474622257318749823340.jpg (Filesize: 172.09 KB)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:38:12 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%