Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool help

35se · 52 · 2467

Offline 35se

Multitool help
on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:55 PM
Hello forum,

New here and new to multi tools. I'm a maintenance tech looking for a strong multi tool to downsize my tool bag.

So far I'm leaning towards the leatherman super tool 300. But I'm open to suggestions on others that might be better or just as good.

Looking for something easier on the budget. I plan on wearing it on my belt and size isn't that big of a deal.

Would love to hear yalls thoughts.

Thanks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Multitool help
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:52 PM
The SuperTool300 is probably a good choice, but have you considered the Gerber MP600 Pro Scout? It has most of the same tools as the ST300 (swaps PE and serrated blades for a combo blade and scissors, no awl) although they are admittedly shorter, but the jigsaw blade adapter is quite handy, and it can be found fairly cheaply if you are in the US. Plus the MP400/600 family is made in the US, if that is important to you.

If you are in Europe, take a look at the Victorinox SwissTool or SwissTool Spirit, I am told they are excellent, and can be found cheaper than Leatherman and Gerber tools, because they are Swiss made, not Chinese or American made.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 04:35:13 PM
If you are a maintenance tech (and I have no reason to doubt you!) then I would stick to heavy duty tools.  While I mostly agree with what was said above, I would also try to stick to the Surge, ST300, Swiss tool or SOG Powerlock as these are larger, heavier tools meant for more regular use and abuse.  While a more standard sized model like the MP600, Spirit, Wave etc would probably do just as well for you, the peace of mind of one of the bigger tools seems well worth it IMHO.

Honestly though, any of the tools available from Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Victoria ox or even CRKT are going to handle most of what you need doing, so I suggest finding something from any of those brands that has the features you expect you will need.

Welcome to the forum.  I'd be interested in hearing what you end up getting and what you think of it when you do.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:41:53 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

Good suggestions so far. I'm a big fan of Leatherman so I think the ST300 or Surge would be a great choice.

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:54:31 PM
Don't just charge in here. You might kick up a dust storm and some might think it's an electrical surge, perhaps a mixed signal or blown fuse. So take your time, have some juice, steady your pulse and blast everyone with questions.

Welcome. Hope you find the right Multitool or toolSSSS.

Offline 35se

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:39:54 PM
Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions.

Buddy of mine had some issues with gerber so I kinda have a bad taste in my mouth with them.

What's the big difference with the surge and ST300?

And I will keep some heavy duty tools for those jobs that require it but for the most part I think a heavy duty multi tool will work well for me.

The surge is interesting but I've heard the the outside tools cause pinching at times.

Can anyone comment on the differences? Is the surge worth the extra money?

Thanks.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:43:59 PM
Don't just charge in here. You might kick up a dust storm and some might think it's an electrical surge, perhaps a mixed signal or blown fuse. So take your time, have some juice, steady your pulse and blast everyone with questions.

Welcome. Hope you find the right Multitool or toolSSSS.

Aaaaaah...
archaic-rap-see-what-you-did-there1.jpg
* archaic-rap-see-what-you-did-there1.jpg (Filesize: 216.86 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 05:47:27 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

I'm an electrical engineer and carry a surge with all the bits for it. Unless I'm doing super heavy work it covers everything I need for 99%  of what I do, so I'd recommend the surge every time.

Plus if your look in the trade section there's 1 for sale 👍
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:07:55 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 06:43:52 PM
Welcome!! My vote is for the st300! Be sure you get the bit driver attachment for it and the bit kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 06:49:59 PM
I am a maintenance tech, work in the field from a van.  I have been using my ST300 every day, documented in the July challenge.
It handles a lot of tasks and along with my Micra, I have a wide assortment of drew driver blades for my tasks. 
The Surge does offer larger scissors than my Micra yet I do not require as often. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:53:16 PM
The main difference between the Surge and the ST300 is that the Surge has scissors, one handed opening blades and a third shank saw blade adaptor.  Frankly I prefer the surge to the ST300 any day of the week.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:56:46 PM
The main difference between the Surge and the ST300 is that the Surge has scissors, one handed opening blades and a third shank saw blade adaptor.  Frankly I prefer the surge to the ST300 any day of the week.

Def

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Not that I own a ST300  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 06:59:58 PM
I have both.  For an every day go to that is both functional and convenient as well as being a hard user, the Surge is hard to beat.

Unless you have a SwissTool.   :P

Or a WengerGrip.   :ahhh

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 07:05:24 PM

Def
I prefer the st300 just because as my super heavy duty tool, i can use the outside as a hammer if needed without worrying about damaging my tools.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 07:10:20 PM

Def
I prefer the st300 just because as my super heavy duty tool, i can use the outside as a hammer if needed without worrying about damaging my tools.

Not to argue, just trying to explain my reasoning. :whistle: everyone has their own preferences for their different mts

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 08:52:00 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

I carry a Supertool 300 a lot and love mine but as others have said get the bit adapter and bit kit to go with it :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 09:44:03 PM
ST300 is probably a good choice for you!
Do you have a chance to try one before buying?
Just hold it for a while and see if its too heavy.

I think that for heavy duty Leatherman ST300 overlaps every other tool right now and also better for wallet.
You can get the "removable bit driver" for ST300 also and its really handy.

Victorinox has Swisstool in its lineup, it has better construction than ST300, but is much more expensive too.

Also if ST300 feels too heavy (shouldnt be with belt carry, unless you have small frame), consider Leatherman Rebar, it is basically the same than ST300, but in a shrinking machine. Takes the same removable bit driver too.

About Surge: It is even heavier than ST300 and its main point is outside tools, but it doesn't feel as manly as ST300. Not a bad choice either, but swapping blades and such are just finicky.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:47:45 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 10:19:11 PM
I love my ST300, and it's a very tough MT!  It has a great tool set, and the tools pull out easily.

I also love my MP600. It's a tank, and will take any abuse you throw at it. I just don't like how it's a bit more difficult to access the inside tools.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:38 PM
Welcome to the forum. ST300 is a great choice. I prefer the Swisstool. You get the same capability with better fit and finish in a lighter package and outside accessible tools. After having both, I would always go for the Swisstool. Neither is bad, so to solve the dilemma.....get both :facepalm: seriously once you get them both in hand it will all make sense. Good hunting :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 11:32:08 PM
I use the Phillips tip often and the added length of the tool helps in many situations with out need for the bit adapter (which I have got yet)

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline 35se

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 02:20:13 AM
Man so many great responses. It's actually making my decision that much harder ha.

I may buy a surge off amazon because someone is offering a ST300 on offer up for 20 dollars which seems hard to pass up.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 02:29:26 AM
You really can't go wrong with either of them. 

Is the Surge worth more money?  I feel it is, at least some more money.  Lots more?  Well, maybe not.  If the ST300 is significantly cheaper then that's great too, and a serious factor in its benefit.

Years ago I was buying a VW and the salesman kept pushing me, as they do.  I pushed back because I'm not an idiot, and I kept saying things like "Mazda was going to do this for that parice" to which I think I finally annoyed him enough that he responded with "Yes, but don't you agree this is a better car than the Mazda?  Isn't that worth the extra money?"

I responded "Indeed it is, but at the end of the day there's only so many dollars to go around, and a Mercedes would be an even better car if money wasn't an issue."

Keeping that in mind, the Surge might be worth about $20 extra over the ST300, but probably not much more. 

Def

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 03:21:17 AM
Get both. Then do a review

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 11:36:06 AM
G'Day

I had both for a while. I got the ST300 as a warranty replacement. I found that with average size paws it was a little to wide for my liking when the pliers were deployed. I got a Surge not long after and love it. I fact I have two Surges. The ST300 got gifted to a mate who like and use it a lot.
For my requirements I find the Surge a better tool. It can take a lot of punishment. Plus the outside scissors are fantastic.

Both are good tools.

Pete

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 12:06:56 PM
I personally use the wave at work. No need to carry bit cards and extensions when I got a toolbox full of tools.

At home I use a ST 300 or Wave or whatever I grab. In and around town I use a SAK. When I go camping or to the beach or fishing its the Old surge.   They all got theire place.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 12:45:23 PM
No need to carry bit cards and extensions when I got a toolbox full of tools.

Unless you break a bit like someone did the other day in his post  :whistle:

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 12:50:31 PM
Ok. That was bit reckless

england Offline Kev D

Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 12:53:29 PM

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 04:15:54 PM
If budget is a concern, the ST300 is indeed usually a lot cheaper than the Surge. I don't have a ST300, but a lot of guys swear by them, and I definitely like my Rebar, which is roughly the same in form.
I have a Surge, and it's really an exceptional tool. It has pretty much everything you could need, and the build quality on mine is stellar. However, it is huge and pretty expensive. It's such a heavy duty tool, I am considering selling mine to someone with more hardcore MT needs than myself.

I would also vouch for the Gerber MP600. Either the Pro Scout or the blunt nose, if you don't have a specific need for needle nose pliers.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31