Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTs that you regret to get rid of?

Padre · 28 · 1568

fi Offline Padre

on: September 15, 2016, 04:16:06 PM
People tend to regret a lot getting rid of some of their pocket knives. I see this quite often at forums and such.
Have you regret any MT's (or hell, tools overall) that you traded/sell/gave away?

I never had this kind of problem, I don't have that huge of an urge to get something else in my life that I would get rid of stuff around me that I enjoy.
I DO have got rid of my MT's (Wingman and Skeletool CX so far), but just because I pretty much had replacements coming up already (Wingman for another and Skeletool CX to RX).

Why would people do this to themselves?  :twak:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: MTs that you regret to get rid of?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:13:16 PM
Have you regret any MT's (or hell, tools overall) that you traded/sell/gave away?
No, never... I'm not really attached to my tools (except that one and that one is attached ::))

For me it is more the opposite I hate it that I have a pile of junk (e.g. Squirts or CrossCut/Grip) that is lying around and I'm too lazy to get rid of it. So I have more regrets purchasing stuff (not for the monetary value but for the useless gunk that is lying around).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:37:41 PM
I feel bad for selling off a Gerber mp400, a Surge and a Solingen in mother of pearl.

Eth, feel free to unload some of that Squirt Crossgrip "junk" this way...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:59 PM
If I trade something I try not to have regrets as I make sure that I definitely want what I am getting out of the trade or otherwise to me it would be pointless ;) I usually don't sell much either but I have made a feel impulse purchases over the years that I have regretted later :facepalm: Other than that I am pretty happy with what I have and don't part with much especially anything that I love toolwise :cheers: My wife on the other hand would probably have me sell most of my stuff to make her feel a little better about the clutter :rofl:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:12 PM
I can recall ever selling an MT, though I have given a few Gerbers away as gifts.  I did sell a knife or two that I regret - a limited edition blue Spyderco Manix 2 (not the current Blurple flavor), and a large Becker fixed blade that had a sick jungle camo job from up-armored.com. 

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:15:11 AM
I literally threw a ST 200 in a donation pile, because it had a few broken tools. I really had no idea you could send them in or replace pieces yourself. And 9 years ago Forums were too foreign to me. So I definitely never would have known the wonders of MTO! Was MTO ever considered a CHAT ROOM?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:19:07 AM by JBW1 »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:12 AM
They regret it because they forgot the reasons why those items were let go.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 01:21:22 AM
Not really.  There are perhaps a few that I regret not buying when I had the chance though, the Charge SLV for example.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:09:31 AM
I literally threw a ST 200 in a donation pile, because it had a few broken tools. I really had no idea you could send them in or replace pieces yourself. And 9 years ago Forums were too foreign to me. So I definitely never would have known the wonders of MTO! Was MTO ever considered a CHAT ROOM?

No but we had a Chat Room for a while :D It was short lived and didn't really add anything to the forum so that little project got the axe :D

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:05:01 AM

Neh.. I remember.. I sold off my Surge, MP400, Spirit, SkeleTool and SuperTool to get a Para2 and a Dragonfly ZDP189.

I'm sorry about the tools, but the Spydercos are really cool - my best folders by far (even though the Dragonfly got traded up for a Nishijin one).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 09:03:31 AM
I respectfully think Spydercos are some of the ugliest knives mankind ever created.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:06:22 AM by Kampfer »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 09:14:14 AM
I find them eye pleasing, on the contrary. I dislike the bulk of "tactical" knifes that look threatening, particularly the BO ones. Spydercos look like puppies whith big round eyes. But they are capable at the same time.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 09:36:54 AM
I find them eye pleasing, on the contrary. I dislike the bulk of "tactical" knifes that look threatening, particularly the BO ones. Spydercos look like puppies with big round eyes. But they are capable at the same time.
I second that...

Lots of knife makers put looks over utility and if that is what sells, it's fine for me BUT it's not for me.
Although if we generalize then I have to say that Spydercos are too pointy for me and how I use my knifes.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:18:27 AM
I find them eye pleasing, on the contrary. I dislike the bulk of "tactical" knifes that look threatening, particularly the BO ones. Spydercos look like puppies with big round eyes. But they are capable at the same time.
I second that...

Lots of knife makers put looks over utility and if that is what sells, it's fine for me BUT it's not for me.
Although if we generalize then I have to say that Spydercos are too pointy for me and how I use my knifes.

from a UK poster today  :D

Spyderco has been accused of putting round holes in knives/tool just for the spyderco look, rather than because they can be used to open them..   :D :D :D 

There are people in spyderco forums killing themselves, trying to open these tools/knives using the hole, just to prove that they are there for pure utility reasons...    :ahhh

Ah, and the pingu is not too pointy Ether  8)  check it out
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline Padre

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 11:29:52 AM
Some Spydercos look really good, some are really ugly. Like with all makers.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:46 PM
I respectfully think Spydercos are some of the ugliest knives mankind ever created.

Which one of these do you consider to be ugly?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 03:25:03 PM
Careful Kam, or we might start poking fun at your precious Espada :P
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 03:44:29 PM
I've not regretted letting go of any tools nor the trades I've made.  If I have a tool up for sale or trade then it means that tool is a double or one that is not serving a purpose ( whatever that purpose might be ). 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:06 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

All the above. Sorry, don't mean to be offense but we do have very different taste.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:45:16 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 05:02:50 PM
I had one of the original gerber mt, my cousin was going into the service so I fig I'd go out and get the newer one which had the locking tools and give him the old one, like cool I'll get me a new one, this is going to be sooo cool cause it locks and maybe this won't pinch the plan as bad as the first! I should have just gave him that one, cause it didn't take long before I broke the screwdrivers by doing the same things I did with the first..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:31:45 PM
Apparently you haven't seen the Centofante  
This is true for me. I've re bought several items then went......o yea this is why I got rid of it. :rofl:

Those are beautiful knives. :2tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

fi Offline Padre

Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 06:59:39 PM
As this topic is now offtopic, author can offtopic too, right?
What is this MT?
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 09:25:20 PM
SOG PowerPlay?

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:42 PM
You mean the old one?
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:27 PM
I don't miss any of them - any I've gotten rid of have been gifted to folks that needed them. Paying it forward;)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 12:31:41 AM
You mean the old one?
I just took a shot in the dark, but I meant the "new" one

us Offline cody6268

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 01:09:28 AM
I traded my Skeletool away for a Case 62031 LHR hawkbill electrician's knife. While I love the Case, the Skeletool, despite having some of the wimpiest pliers I've seen, was a great tool for light duty use, with bit driver, OHO partially serrated blade, and thin pliers that would fit in really tight places.  Eventually I'm trading my grandfather another knife so I can get it back.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 11:50:43 AM
I regret selling my basic Stainless NN MP600 with normal cutters for such a low price, and glad to have traded a BO NN MP600 with replaceable cutters

I also got rid of a PPP and now I miss it so much, the smooth action and C.Leverage, but I traded away a Powerlock and so happy about that

Similar tools, but different circumstances and moments resulting in very different outcomes

I now regret selling my juice C2 and X6, and wonder why the hell do I have 2 Swisschamps, two Waiters and a Mountaineers that sit unused and unloved  :think:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:53:11 AM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%