Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stop the tack

us Offline bayoublade

Stop the tack
on: October 10, 2016, 04:40:22 AM
In the attached picture, on the bottom right hand side, there is a fixed-blade Buck knife that I was given years ago. Well on that knife, it's a rubberized handle. That blade sat in storage for years and, as a result, the handle is now tacky. Is there ANYTHING I can do to remove that? Wasn't really ready to do like goo gone or something like that... unless you guys think that's a decent option. Just throwing it out there for suggestions. Thanks all.

fi Offline Padre

Re: Stop the tack
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:28:29 AM
Brake disc cleaner or similar?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:53 AM
I'd be reluctant to use any corrosives or solvents, in case it is the handle material "decomposing".

Maybe try scraping it to see if it's just a top "layer" of goop, and the material underneath is still good?

Start with warm soapy water, citrus cleaner, and work your way up to "harder" solvents?

Send it to me and I'll live with it  :whistle:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
It is certainly the material itself. Common problem with lots and lots and lots of types of plastic'y materials. I'd try using simply using some soap and water and see if that helped first, if that didn't work, I'd escalate to very fine sandpaper. (My favorite plastic problem is a kind of plastic which is very common in folders and binders which react with laser printer pigment, removing it from paper and adhering to the binder instead. Binders which destroy printouts... genius... (And that's why I stick to cardboard or extra cover sheets when it comes to storing paper documents.))

Edit: Basically what the Sea Monster said, I guess. :)

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
Would this also work for Bear Grylls-branded Gerber gear, which is also tacky?

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:03:06 PM
Or any rubber covered SAK...

Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 12:06:00 PM
I've got a CS TM here waiting for a re handle.   ::)   ::)

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 12:31:23 PM
I had this happen with some rubber coated binoculars, and could never completely remove the tacky though. It would clean up for a while but always came back fairly quickly, so I guess the rubber was breaking down.

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:52 PM
Put it in ethanol overnight. Ethanol will "dry up" your rubber.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:18:59 PM by IvanDrago »

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:56:49 AM
These are all really great! Thanks everyone for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:57 AM
I had this happen with some rubber coated binoculars, and could never completely remove the tacky though. It would clean up for a while but always came back fairly quickly, so I guess the rubber was breaking down.
It is certainly the material itself. Common problem with lots and lots and lots of types of plastic'y materials. I'd try using simply using some soap and water and see if that helped first, if that didn't work, I'd escalate to very fine sandpaper. (My favorite plastic problem is a kind of plastic which is very common in folders and binders which react with laser printer pigment, removing it from paper and adhering to the binder instead. Binders which destroy printouts... genius... (And that's why I stick to cardboard or extra cover sheets when it comes to storing paper documents.))

Edit: Basically what the Sea Monster said, I guess. :)
The "tack" is minimal, but certainly there and present. I've no doubt the materials are breaking down which is a bummer... like a tent rainfly delaminating ... just not much you can do about it. Will probably just have to live with it.

us Offline bayoublade

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:32:54 AM
Send it to me and I'll live with it  :whistle:
:-D if it didn't have such sentimental value attached to it, I'd probably put it up here for sale; not really a fixed blade user; hence the reason it sat in storage so long.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD