Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Guess I belong here

Roc · 10 · 840

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Guess I belong here
on: October 31, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
Going through my "stuff" to find what I can sell I learned something about myself. I'm able to let go of everything, but three multi tools. As much as I love plier based multis, I've realized that I don't use the pliers often enough to justify carrying the weight. Only took me 20 years. 😕
Thought I'd throw in a pic of the stuff I can't let go of. Who doesn't want a pic anyway?
IMG_5671.JPG
* IMG_5671.JPG (Filesize: 286.29 KB)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Re: Guess I belong here
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:28:05 AM
I've enjoyed buying and selling, restoring, modding, collecting but I'm also going through a period of unburdening myself, mainly due to finances but also for the feeling of having less things laying around.

As much as I admire all the knives I've got sitting here, I know I mainly use my custom 84mm, my Compact, and my SwissChamp.  When I use my Hercules it's for that tiny phillips.

Seems like I'd be totally covered with SwissChamp, Rambler, and Compact for pocket EDC.

Hmmm  ??? Now I'm wondering If I shouldn't let some of these SAKs go.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:48 AM
I only use my Swiss Champ and Compact as well. However, I use my Swiss Champ when I can wear a belt sheath (at work) and the Compact when I am just going to throw it in a pocket. I have another dozen or so that I never carry, and extra Swiss Champs and Compacts as backup. I have thought about selling the ones i don't use but I would miss having them and would just have to buy them again.  ::)
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:37:13 AM
Sorry! Wasn't trying to set off a purge of mutitools that aren't used, although that would make for a very happy buy/sell sub forum. I too am getting rid of tools that sit and take up space. Mainly to cover unforeseen bills, but I also feel bad letting them collect dust. They should go to someone that can enjoy using them. That is why I'm keeping what's in the pic. I use these tools on a daily basis. Will I buy some of the ones I'm selling again in the future? Time will tell, but for now I'll be happy with what I got.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:09:24 AM
Howdy Roc! Good choices!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:30:00 AM

Thank you sir. I love the champion, but I've always been curious about the pliers on the swisschamp. I've heard both cheers and boos on them. I still might have to try one out someday to decide for myself. They can't add too much extra bulk/weight.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:05 AM

Thank you sir. I love the champion, but I've always been curious about the pliers on the swisschamp. I've heard both cheers and boos on them. I still might have to try one out someday to decide for myself. They can't add too much extra bulk/weight.

I used the pliers on the Hercules (same size, just has the nail nick) for a nut I never could have reached with full sized pliers:
20161030_175032.jpg
* 20161030_175032.jpg (Filesize: 99.92 KB)
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:06 AM
I have found different tools to be "favourites" for different situations. What worked on the canal boat, was not what worked in a heavy engineering shop, or urban carry, or out on a hike, or helping resolve issues for folks who'd just moved house. As my job/role/activity varied, I found my tool needs changed. As my health has become rather questional for unknown reasons, the perspective has changed again.

Be careful about getting rid of stuff you can't easily replace. It might not be flavour of the month right now, but who knows what's round the corner. I have nearly gotten rid of tools in the past which shortly before sale ended up being the best tool for a certain situation. By all means offload what you think is surplus, but be certain what is surplus today won't be essential tomorrow.

I have only used my Schrade/Vise Grips LC6 once or twice, but those times proved to me that it should remain part of the arsenal. It took me ages to get another Sideclip after I let the first one go, or ressurect the Destroyer Mod after I robbed it for parts. I'm still unsure if I did the right thing letting go of the Mini and the Rangergrip 90.

I have got a box of stuff set aside to sell. Stuff I never use. This week I have dipped into that box three times, because tools I needed for something were in there - a BAK, a Wichard tool, and a Gerber Grappler. Three times in a week - and I bet I haven't used those three tools at any other time this year.  :facepalm: this is why I haven't listed them for sale yet - I want to be certain I'm doing the right thing, and don't want the sellers remorse I've encountered once or twice before.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:39:33 AM
Love the Swisschamp and have for a long while now.  I had a Champion that sat because I thought the pliers made all the difference.  I got a neat sheath that only fit the Champion so the Swisschamp had to stay behind.  Tell ya what, I didn't miss the pliers, shhh don't tell my SC. 

The pliers are IMO extensions of your fingers.  They are great at the little things my fingers cannot do or I don't want to try to do.  Since I carry a plier based MT the plier on my SC were not a necessary tool but a matter of options. 

It it interesting to note that in my experience of carrying both I can relate their is a difference even if its only a few millimeters.  Both tools are excellent no doubt and I highly suggest you get a SC for yourself just know the Champion is no slouch without the pliers ( as I'm sure you already know ). 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:21 PM
Love the Swisschamp and have for a long while now.  I had a Champion that sat because I thought the pliers made all the difference.  I got a neat sheath that only fit the Champion so the Swisschamp had to stay behind.  Tell ya what, I didn't miss the pliers, shhh don't tell my SC. 

The pliers are IMO extensions of your fingers.  They are great at the little things my fingers cannot do or I don't want to try to do.  Since I carry a plier based MT the plier on my SC were not a necessary tool but a matter of options. 

It it interesting to note that in my experience of carrying both I can relate their is a difference even if its only a few millimeters.  Both tools are excellent no doubt and I highly suggest you get a SC for yourself just know the Champion is no slouch without the pliers ( as I'm sure you already know ).

Exact same feelings,  Aloha, that's why I sold my Swisschamp laste week to a fellow forumite, but kept my Champion

a. I had a sheath that fit the Champion but not the Swisschamp

b. I found the pliers not so nice, especially after EDCing a LM Squirt or a Dime too, much more capable

c. The difference in width and weight became noticeable to me, especially when carrying in the coin pocket, and I didn't like the additional grams and mm of the Swisschamp that got in the way when trying to grab my X2 voyagers or other very big folding knives

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%