Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you guys feel about Damascus?

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Re: How do you guys feel about Damascus?
Reply #60 on: November 25, 2016, 07:16:05 AM
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #62 on: November 25, 2016, 04:35:46 PM
I think it's ugly and expensive. I've not seen a Damascus knife I like the look of, and it seems to be a faulty pointless addition designed to squeeze as much money out of the knife buyer as possible.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: November 25, 2016, 08:51:28 PM
I think it's ugly and expensive. I've not seen a Damascus knife I like the look of, and it seems to be a faulty pointless addition designed to squeeze as much money out of the knife buyer as possible.

Tell us how you really feel about it Hi :pok: :D

I do agree that is adds to much $ to certain knives and only really adds an asthetic that certain people like and certain other don't  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #64 on: November 25, 2016, 09:29:41 PM
victorinox does some nice damascus
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: November 25, 2016, 11:27:33 PM

That looks cool.  I will watch it later when I have time to really pay attention to it. 

As for Damascus blades, I sort of agree with the badger- it is overpriced and largely aesthetic.  Yes, there are some benefits to Damascus, but not so much as you would notice.  If this was the 13th Century and you were crusading with King Richard then maybe I can see the benefits, but the modern steels (which I also think are something of a waste) are far superior.

It is however very pretty when done properly, and there's something to be said for that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: November 25, 2016, 11:34:13 PM
Price aside, is something aesthetically appealing ( eye of the beholder ) a bad thing  :think:

I understand we all have our tastes and again price aside as well as adding no real benefit other than aesthetics I'd say its no different that most anything. 

I've stated I quite like Damascus.  I don't own any and price no longer aside, thats the reason.  A purely aesthetic addition if you will always adds to the price of most anything. 

To me its no different than forced patinas.  Yes I understand that forcing a patina "protects" the steel but it is not also done to add aesthetics? 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: November 25, 2016, 11:39:34 PM
I am all for aesthetics, provided the aesthetics do not compromise function.

At least, when it comes to a tool.  When it comes to art pieces, then obviously that shifts a little bit, but I would much rather have an ugly tool that works than a pretty one that doesn't.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #68 on: November 25, 2016, 11:45:18 PM

He literally beat it to shape. Magnificent work that requires years of know-how and patience. Compared to this, Bob Kramer's welded-pattern knife works look a lot easier with modern equipments.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #69 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:04 AM

At least, when it comes to a tool.  When it comes to art pieces, then obviously that shifts a little bit, but I would much rather have an ugly tool that works than a pretty one that doesn't.

Def

You have to like them, yes.
They are expensive, yes.

But I very much  :like: my small collection.

My expanding it is not very likely to happen,
which makes them kind of special.

And they do work, yes.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #70 on: November 26, 2016, 04:56:58 AM
Price wise to me I have seen expensive and inexpensive knives with it but have no idea of the true value of a knife having it as a blade.  I was just looking at a Smokey Mountain Knife catalog and seen some old timers from Case I think with damascus for blades that were pretty cheap as well as a few others.  I am also sure that like alot of knives, just because you pay alot for one with a damascus doesn't mean it is better than the cheaper ones unless you know what was used in its process to make the blade, how many times it was folded, etc.  That is my guess anyway!  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: November 26, 2016, 06:24:06 AM

Def

For sure. 

In the case of aesthetics solely for aesthetics's sake with no compromise I can't say I'd always choose it.  I cannot see myself with every knife I own being Damascus for example.  I also am drawn to simple clean lines.  Unadorned, understated has its appeal in my eye as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #72 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
Historically Damascus steel was the standard for strength and sharpness. Today it's more aesthetic than practical (or cost effective). I personally have never been a fan.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: November 26, 2016, 11:28:24 PM

Def

For sure. 

In the case of aesthetics solely for aesthetics's sake with no compromise I can't say I'd always choose it.  I cannot see myself with every knife I own being Damascus for example.  I also am drawn to simple clean lines.  Unadorned, understated has its appeal in my eye as well.

Definitely, I wouldn't want it on all my knives either :tu: I do like it but carbon and SS also have a place with my knives as well :cheers: Some knives I also agree look better than others with Damascus and others are better in SS and others are great in carbon :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #74 on: November 26, 2016, 11:41:56 PM
Tell us how you really feel about it Hi :pok: :D

Any time, poncho. :hatsoff: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:17 AM

Def

For sure. 

Definitely, I wouldn't want it on all my knives either :tu: I do like it but carbon and SS also have a place with my knives as well :cheers: Some knives I also agree look better than others with Damascus and others are better in SS and others are great in carbon :tu:

While others look awesome with patina, Opinel for example.  I am pretty open to what my eye "sees" as attractive.  We have several member who abhor any wear on their tools while some love the battered looks. 

Great thing is Damascus is not a standard knife design so one can easily choose it or not. 

I see myself getting something Damascus purely for aesthics.  I just don't want to pay the high asking price.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #76 on: November 27, 2016, 06:40:32 AM
Here is the Damascus blade on my SOG Arcitech. Not a true Damascus blade per se, but damn beautiful to look at. Instead of carbon steel, this blade has VG10 core, and 15 layers of nickel and stainless steel on each side (SOG website). How can they fold the steel and still maintain a true VG10 core? I think it is likely the VG10 was encased in the layered steel jacket.

Also, 15 layers do not make sense. Must be a multiple of 2, right?  ???
20161114_214144.jpg
* 20161114_214144.jpg (Filesize: 311.17 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 08:48:53 PM
Here is the Damascus blade on my SOG Arcitech. Not a true Damascus blade per se, but damn beautiful to look at. Instead of carbon steel, this blade has VG10 core, and 15 layers of nickel and stainless steel on each side (SOG website). How can they fold the steel and still maintain a true VG10 core? I think it is likely the VG10 was encased in the layered steel jacket.

Also, 15 layers do not make sense. Must be a multiple of 2, right?  ???

That is very nice looking chrono :drool: :like: :like: :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: November 28, 2016, 01:41:00 PM
I believe what we're calling Damascus is more correctly pattern welded steel.  :think:

I cannot see pattern welded steel having better performance, but it is pretty.

San Mai on the other hand is pretty with enhanced performance (depending on the core).

I watched a few videos on Wootz steel, and it's my understanding that the original Damascus steel was closer to Wootz, and the pattern was more a side-effect than a goal.

BTW, for the steel snobs, do yourself a favor and watch the few YT videos on the subject, I found it fascinating.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 05:47:57 AM
Saw this on instagram. I'm not all about Damascus, but I have a visual appreciation for it from time to time. This is nice copper and Damascus combo on a beatific knife.
IMG_2740.PNG
* IMG_2740.PNG (Filesize: 301.53 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: December 13, 2016, 07:14:21 PM
Interesting mix of responses. I have always thought that true Damascus(or wootz) to be comprised of several layers of steel of various composition welded together and folded over and hammered to properly align the grain structure and produce a blade that had great edge holding ability without being brittle and a spine that is relatively soft to ensure flexibility.
Today there are many styles of Damascus using many different steels. Some like to use old ball bearings(52100 steel I think)and others like old braided steel cable while still others use different materials created by makers of blanks.
The examples I am showing here are a pretty diverse grouping.
The Colt Bowie is of recent manufacture and probably made in China or India and appears to be chunks of cable fused together.Not sure how it performs as it's only good for chopping(the blade is 5/16ths thick).I bought it because it was so unusual.
The tiny Parker knife was made in the 1970's and was supposedly some pretty decent Damascus that I think was made by Fain Edwards.
The keris is not a proper Damascus but is made from layered iron and steel and likely 19th century.
The survival knife is a Parker-Edwards made in 1986 and done by Fain Edwards who specialized in making Damascus.
The Jason Williams folder is made with(I believe)Jerry Rados Damascus and is a great little knife.
The sword blade was difficult to photograph and is supposedly an early Japanese specimen although I have yet to have it verified. I bought two of them awhile back that appear to be old but could be modern Chinese fakes. If they are they are great fakes!
The last is a Persian jambiya that was dated to the mid 17th century and has an incredible pattern in the blade.The handle is carved "pachyderm cheek projection".
ColtBowie2.jpg
* ColtBowie2.jpg (Filesize: 80.48 KB)
ColtBowie4.jpg
* ColtBowie4.jpg (Filesize: 98.05 KB)
SmallKnives2015 024.jpg
* SmallKnives2015 024.jpg (Filesize: 102.25 KB)
Keris12.jpg
* Keris12.jpg (Filesize: 50 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: December 13, 2016, 07:16:38 PM
Page 2
Parker-Edwards1.jpg
* Parker-Edwards1.jpg (Filesize: 67.12 KB)
JW98.jpg
* JW98.jpg (Filesize: 50.02 KB)
JW99.jpg
* JW99.jpg (Filesize: 47.5 KB)
SwordBladeDetail2016 004.jpg
* SwordBladeDetail2016 004.jpg (Filesize: 28.3 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:33 PM
Page 3
Jambiya998.jpg
* Jambiya998.jpg (Filesize: 52.75 KB)
Jambiya999.jpg
* Jambiya999.jpg (Filesize: 43.48 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:25 PM
Excellent pics as usual Ray :cheers: Thanks for those and the write up :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: December 13, 2016, 10:52:28 PM
What I carried today :tu:

20161213_121002 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20161213_121009 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: December 14, 2016, 11:42:59 AM
Excellent pics as usual Ray :cheers: Thanks for those and the write up :tu: :like: :like:

+1  :salute:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
My Pioneer Solo is having a day off.
DSC05699-apple-ivory-damascus.jpg
* DSC05699-apple-ivory-damascus.jpg (Filesize: 492.15 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 09:45:37 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:02 PM
My carry today just happens to fit in here :tu:

20170523_101758 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60