Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which LM would you gift Karl Elsener?

Padre · 37 · 1581

fi Offline Padre

Which LM would you gift Karl Elsener?
on: January 05, 2017, 03:56:00 PM
 :pok:
I would probably give him Style, so he would make comparison with Classic.
 :angel:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Which LM would you gift Karl Elsener?
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:20 PM
 :D
I would gift him a Crunch as a  :pok: to Vic to pull their fingers out and do something about it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
 :facepalm:

:rofl:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:46:00 PM
A Juice.  Shrink the Spirit to this size please, and leave the locks off.  And fit a pocket clip while you're at it. :pok:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 05:27:06 PM
A Juice.  Shrink the Spirit to this size please, and leave the locks off.  And fit a pocket clip while you're at it. :pok:

:like:

Was thinking the very same.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 05:53:35 PM
Style: I say no to that or else Vic also starts to make ugly holes in the frame
Juice: Never really felt that the Juice (in my case the XE6) was smaller than the Spirit, shorter sure, but also thicker. I for one, would want not a shorter, but a thinner Spirit (smaller pliers (thinner, not shorter), one layer of tools less)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:05 PM

:like:

Was thinking the very same.   :tu:
+1 on the pocket clip, -1 on everything else

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:44 PM
I would send a micra. I'd be interested to see what kind of scissors he would come up with for a scissors based mt

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:09 PM

I love the Spirit, and wouldn't want them to change it (except maybe a pocket clip, better cutters for stranded wire and wider opening scissors :whistle:). I'd love for them to bring out a smaller, non-locking CS4 type tool as well though  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:57:37 PM
A Squirt E4

I want a spirit with a wire stripper/needlenose head  :cheers:
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 06:54:35 PM
Mr. Elsener seems like such a serious and dour man.  I would give him a REV so he would have something to laugh about. ::)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:11:02 PM
Mr. Elsener seems like such a serious and dour man.  I would give him a REV so he would have something to laugh about. ::)

I think the Leatherman Faceplant Leap might me a good choice for that purpose too.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:27 PM

I think the Leatherman Faceplant Leap might me a good choice for that purpose too.

The Leap is a fine MT for my little girl :pok: I like the fact that they actually made one for children and I have used some of the implements on it without fail as well :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:08 PM
Mini Tool, as it accompanies any SAK with little redundancy.   

And likely a Squirt too, as to prove small Vics are way better.   If I hadn't sent my busted PS4 back to Portland to get repaired on warranty, I'd send Mr. Elsener that one to show that 91mm pliers, despite being just as small, can take much more of a beating.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:07:33 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:24:47 PM
I have been thinking about this, and I am thinking I would give him a Surge.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 12:43:41 AM

The Leap is a fine MT for my little girl :pok: I like the fact that they actually made one for children and I have used some of the implements on it without fail as well :like:

:tu:

I have a habit of mocking that one because the form seems way too large than should be necessary for the toolset, even compared with the Juice, and particularly as it is meant to be designed for small hands.

And of course there were the teething problems and recall with the clip in blades too....

Glad to hear it's working out well for her though. It would be nice to see more offerings on the market for the younglings.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 12:57:31 AM
Wave with pocket clip.
That is something Victorinox haven't been able to come up.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 05:40:23 PM
My vote for Crunch or Micra..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline gregpost

Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 10:54:53 PM
Wave with pocket clip.
That is something Victorinox haven't been able to come up.

Agreed.

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:50 PM
Flair!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 12:21:26 AM
I personally do not think that the Victorinox Family would benefit greatly from ANY input from the likes of Leatherman... >:D

Now: perhaps Wenger...but not Leatrherman.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:26:01 AM by Marc_in_NS »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 04:05:18 PM
I do believe Victorinox did "greatly" benefit from those in the plier based MT world and I would argue LM "greatly" influenced or inspired them.  If we look at when they started their plier based tools as opposed to the others including in particular LM.  Their ( Vics ) idea for pliers was those contained on the Swisschamp.  I might be wrong in this but didn't 10 years pass before they came out with plier based MT after LM had theirs in the market place? 

While we can and do argue who has a "better" plier based MT fact is LM was first to market over them.  IIRC didn't Victorinox buy a patent or company and design or greatly improve the design for the release of their plier based tool?

We can also look at how the company had been in business prior to their release of a plier bases MT.  While they certainly put out a terrific plier based tools and for some the best plier based tools credit has to go to LM.   I do realize LM was not the first.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 11:36:01 PM
Well said Aloha   :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 11:42:24 PM
Take a look at the email response in this thread from Mr Robert Elsener http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.0.html  MTO has also "greatly" influenced (possibly)  :D those at Victorinox.  Whats interesting is the Swisstool changing pivot from right to left.  SOG was doing that 5 years earlier according to those in that thread.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:43:50 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 05:13:51 AM
I do believe Victorinox did "greatly" benefit from those in the plier based MT world and I would argue LM "greatly" influenced or inspired them.  If we look at when they started their plier based tools as opposed to the others including in particular LM.  Their ( Vics ) idea for pliers was those contained on the Swisschamp.  I might be wrong in this but didn't 10 years pass before they came out with plier based MT after LM had theirs in the market place? 

While we can and do argue who has a "better" plier based MT fact is LM was first to market over them.  IIRC didn't Victorinox buy a patent or company and design or greatly improve the design for the release of their plier based tool?

We can also look at how the company had been in business prior to their release of a plier bases MT.  While they certainly put out a terrific plier based tools and for some the best plier based tools credit has to go to LM.   I do realize LM was not the first.     

I agree, Victorinox might have been influenced or inspired, or simply behind schedule in R&D, but still came out on top with a far superior product, and superior in every way, design, quality, forms, assembly and really important to me; corrosion protection. Had Vics MT at sea for years...no corrosion.
Now Leatherman and Gerber's...many are at the bottom of the ocean.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 07:04:55 AM
They certainly have set the bar high as with their knives.  I have really been enjoying carrying my Spirit since I was a bigger fan of my Swisstool.  Wave is still king for me but I also live in a dry climate and have never had rust issues. 
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:24 AM
Many.

The Juice, as an idea for a 91mm SAK/MT hybrid. The Squirt for a 58mm kind of.
The Surge/Charge/Wave as an idea for lanyard/clip, OHO, bit holder, blade exchanger Multitool.
The Crunch for a new Spirit variation.
The Skeletool for an idea about a SAK (Swisschamp) buddy with pliers and OHO blade, in the same seath. Of Spirit quality.
The Tread, as an example of what never to do.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 02:01:57 PM

I agree, Victorinox might have been influenced or inspired, or simply behind schedule in R&D, but still came out on top with a far superior product, and superior in every way, design, quality, forms, assembly and really important to me; corrosion protection. Had Vics MT at sea for years...no corrosion.
Now Leatherman and Gerber's...many are at the bottom of the ocean.
First thing I would have thrown overboard would have be the Swiss MTs. That is assuming it didn't slip out of my hand first. LOL!
Kidding aside, I always viewed LM MTs and Vic MTs on the same level. LMs over build ruggedness and Vics precision. Top quality for both just they went different ways. They both also have their lemons also.
Nate

SEND IT!

fi Offline temo

Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 02:36:43 PM
I personally do not think that the Victorinox Family would benefit greatly from ANY input from the likes of Leatherman... >:D

Now: perhaps Wenger...but not Leatrherman.

Agree. Wenger has already great solutions as well vic. And locking system in spirit is great. Vic could just use what they have and make some different type of options. Not just small and large blade plus can and bottle opener knives with some added layers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
LM vs Victorninox  :facepalm:

What I say is poo.  Now if I received a royalty from either I'd be all over it  :whistle:.   

Tim Leatherman has GREATLY influenced all comers to the modern MT industry as he is the modern day father of it.  Yes MTs have been around prior to him but the PST started the modern era of this industry.  We can debate who has a better tool and its fun to do so but what we cannot debate is Tim Leathermans influence in this industry.  He is the reason for this modern day industry ( MT ) wise.     

I hope I'm not coming across as snarky or ill tempered  :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40