Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Fountain Pens 486

No Life Club Posts: 3,452 Smurf it!
Fountain Pens
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Does anyone else use them?

Kaweco Brass Sport

Visconti Van Gogh Lilacs

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 13,435
Re: Fountain Pens
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
Just got my daughter into them.  Picked her up a Pilot Metropolitan to get her started. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
Just got my daughter into them.  Picked her up a Pilot Metropolitan to get her started.

Got a Pilot around here somewhere  :tu: I usually recommend the Lamy Safari

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »

I got her a pack of Platinum Preppy's as well.  I've bought her Rhodia note books and paper products so I figured it was time for her to try some other writing implements.

I believe the Safari uses proprietary refills?  Correct me as I am not certain.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

I got her a pack of Platinum Preppy's as well.  I've bought her Rhodia note books and paper products so I figured it was time for her to try some other writing implements.

I believe the Safari uses proprietary refills?  Correct me as I am not certain.   

It does, but you can get a piston filler for it as well

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
Here's what I recently got her. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
Here's what I recently got her.

Nice  :tu:

Can she use coloured inks or is she stuck with blue or black?

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,431
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
I use them every day.
Its the only pens I can write with that is vaguely readable for other people :D

I generally use the Pilot V pen wich are disposable fountain pens. I also use a cheap parker vector fountain pen and a little more classy pilot fountain pen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:25:56 PM by Grathr »

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »
The pack of Preppy's is colored.  The Pilot is black cartridge there is a converter for it.  This is her first foray into fountain pens so we'll see if she like using them then we'll get the converter and other ink. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
Purple Leopard should do the trick with getting her to use the pen more often.   :D

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
The pack of Preppy's is colored.  The Pilot is black cartridge there is a converter for it.  This is her first foray into fountain pens so we'll see if she like using them then we'll get the converter and other ink.

Cool, I only use coloured ink which freaks some people out, Diamine Grape, Deep Dark Green and Ancient copper. The Grape and the Green will pass for black unless you are under really strong light. I say this because some schools and or workplaces get funny about writing in any other colour.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »

Cool, I only use coloured ink which freaks some people out, Diamine Grape, Deep Dark Green and Ancient copper. The Grape and the Green will pass for black unless you are under really strong light. I say this because some schools and or workplaces get funny about writing in any other colour.

I usually write with a regular pen and have used green for years.  I do however use blue since you are correct in that people react very oddly to other than black and blue. 

Her Preppy pack has 7 different colors.  I'm certain her teachers prefer black and blue.  Such boring colors with the wide array of awesome colors to choose from.  I get it tho.     

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 2,108
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
Man I'd love to have a kaweco. Really nice feel and classy, but not flashy look to them.

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads
No Life Club Posts: 1,162
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
I use and like fountain pens and have a few relatively cheap ones. Shown here from left to right are:
  • Pilot Birdie, this is probably my favourite in regards to size but while I like the result from writing with the fine tip it is a bit to sharp. I got this one to replace another of the same model that I lost, this new one is missing the refilling bulb so it's empty until I can find refills.
  • Parker Jotter, the plastic on this one cracked and it has also made a bit of a mess of the pen pocket on one of my suit jackets when the cap came loose.
  • Parker Vector, not really my style but it belonged to my grandfather.
  • Lamy St, my latest and meant to replace the Birdie that I lost (before I got another Birdie from my father). Unfortunately it is horribly unbalanced if posted unlike the Birdie that only gets better when posted.

I got the piston refill for the Lamy (pictured left) but I'm still using the first of the rather large refills. I'm not that in the know about inks so I've been using a cheap (and available locally) Pelican royal blue or the branded ones. I prefer royal blue for the possibility to erase it and for the "classic" look it gives the writing.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
I use and like fountain pens and have a few relatively cheap ones. Shown here from left to right are:
  • Pilot Birdie, this is probably my favourite in regards to size but while I like the result from writing with the fine tip it is a bit to sharp. I got this one to replace another of the same model that I lost, this new one is missing the refilling bulb so it's empty until I can find refills.
  • Parker Jotter, the plastic on this one cracked and it has also made a bit of a mess of the pen pocket on one of my suit jackets when the cap came loose.
  • Parker Vector, not really my style but it belonged to my grandfather.
  • Lamy St, my latest and meant to replace the Birdie that I lost (before I got another Birdie from my father). Unfortunately it is horribly unbalanced if posted unlike the Birdie that only gets better when posted.
I got the piston refill for the Lamy (pictured left) but I'm still using the first of the rather large refills. I'm not that in the know about inks so I've been using a cheap (and available locally) Pelican royal blue or the branded ones. I prefer royal blue for the possibility to erase it and for the "classic" look it gives the writing.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice choice of pens  :tu:

I like Diamine inks because they are water based and makes the pen easy to clean out, Just stay away from their registrars ink, It will kill the pen.

Although they do cartridges they dont fit the Lamy, but the converters for them are very inexpensive

No Life Club Posts: 3,683 I'm blue!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 12:22:25 AM »
I had a Montblanc Meisterstuck (see picture) and several other Montblancs. I sold them all. I haven't used a fountain pen in many years. This particular pen didn't accept cartridges. The ink had to be sucked straight out of the bottle, by rotating the top end of the pen. Could get messy. This thread brings back memories!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:28:56 AM by Ronald Schröder »
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,431
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »
Two of my favourites. :)

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $131.00
PayPal Fees: $8.08
Net Balance: $122.92
Below Goal: $152.08
Site Currency: USD
45% 
October Donations

Community Links