Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Tools in submerged/flooded cars 2637

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,104 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Rescue Tools in submerged/flooded cars
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Welcome to the boards five.   :cheers:

Thank you Pablo. I poke around a couple other blade or edge forums and I'm looking forward to learning here. I like the vibe already!

Good vibes all around,  :cheers:!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
New User Posts: 4
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 02:53:21 AM »
Pretty intense.  I dont know the answer for you but this is worth watching. 

Adam did a Reddit AMA sometime after that episode aired which tells the parts of that story that didn't make the original video. A few years old, so some of you may already have seen it (starts about 40 seconds in).

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,413
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the video.  I think we can all agree that being submerged would be that last thing we'd want to happen.  I cannot recall if we determined the rate of success for those who have been submerged b :think:.  In any case really scary.

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,890 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 02:52:52 AM »
I had an 8-week open water scuba certification course. I did 'buddy-breathing' with a 12-year-old kid that panicked, and snatched the respirator out of my mouth before i got a breath in our sharing cycle. I had a moment of panic, but I calmed right down. I guess I MADE myself calm right down. That was in a clean, clear swimming pool. Things probably get a lot scarier in murky, and potentially frigid water.

Luckily I'm fat, so I'm well insulated, and bob like a cork. :D

Also... we have ResQMe's on our car keys.
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,388
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
I had an 8-week open water scuba certification course. I did 'buddy-breathing' with a 12-year-old kid that panicked, and snatched the respirator out of my mouth before i got a breath in our sharing cycle. I had a moment of panic, but I calmed right down. I guess I MADE myself calm right down. That was in a clean, clear swimming pool. Things probably get a lot scarier in murky, and potentially frigid water.

Panic is a deciding factor in such situations. Or more precisely, the managing thereof.

Easier said than done.

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
Hero Member Posts: 787 There's a SAK for that!
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »

You hit the nail on it's head I think. You MADE yourself calm right down.
I once got my respirator jerked from my mouth by someone who panicked (he lost his own mouthpiece). I must have inhaled out of a bad reflex because I had a mouth full of water and was starting to cough.
At that moment you need to realize that there are steps to take before you can breathe again. This takes control. As you said, you MAKE yourself calm.
It was a real eyeopener, recognizing the beginning of panic and then managing it.

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,900 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
I heard you can administer a sharp slap to a panicking person to make them regain their senses. Probably doesn't work underwater, but just sayin'.  :whistle:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Small knives can do what big knives do, just slower.

My 30 day pen challenge! Pretty(?) Pictures inside:
Official 30 Day Pen Challenge!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,910
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
I heard you can administer a sharp slap to a panicking person to make them regain their senses. Probably doesn't work underwater, but just sayin'.  :whistle:
I twaked you alot here on MTO and there's still no sense in you :whistle:

:twak: :twak:

Buy now or regret later
No Life Club Posts: 1,804 I have a small selection of disparate tools
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »

you mean like this ?

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Operational Funds

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $158.19
PayPal Fees: $10.16
Net Balance: $148.03
Below Goal: $126.97