Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TOP CHOICE: Member Tool Recommendation

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
TOP CHOICE: Member Tool Recommendation
on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:57 AM
The discussion about tools everybody should have made me think. Obviously, we all have different needs based on what we do for a living and where we live. Do we rent or own. Flat, house or do we live on a boat.

So, instead lets show our favorites, the very best. Yeah I know, what is the best... fish with mango chutney, or a ham beagle? Guacamole / jalapeño burger or breakfast burrito? No need to get hung up if you disagree. Simply recommend tools you like.
thebest.jpg
* thebest.jpg (Filesize: 125.62 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: TOP CHOICE: Member Tool Recommendation
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:37 AM
Ok, I start of with the Stanley cutters. There are so many cutters to choose from, so what sets those apart? These cutters have a fairly unique locking mechanism, when tightening the screw at the back the jaws in the front claw together holding the blade tight in place.

PRO
- comfortable grip
- no blade wobble

CON
- heavy
stanley_01.jpg
* stanley_01.jpg (Filesize: 123.84 KB)
stanley_02.jpg
* stanley_02.jpg (Filesize: 148.02 KB)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:50:18 PM
The discussion about tools everybody should have made me think. Obviously, we all have different needs based on what we do for a living and where we live. Do we rent or own. Flat, house or do we live on a boat.

So, instead lets show our favorites, the very best. Yeah I know, what is the best... fish with mango chutney, or a ham beagle? Guacamole / jalapeño burger or breakfast burrito? No need to get hung up if you disagree. Simply recommend tools you like.

That breakfast burrito doesn't have any rice in it...  :pok:  :P

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:07 PM

And where is the picture of yours, with rice then ey :pok:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
I love my precision bits... got quite a collection (I had plenty of cheapos too, but got rid of them over time).

So, what sets the Toolcraft holder apart. It is a long holder giving you good access even to recessed screws. The full aluminum body has a great feel to it. The end-cap rotates really smoothly.

PRO
- nice quality
- long slender holder

CON
- kit itself is bulky
4mm_01.jpg
* 4mm_01.jpg (Filesize: 168.13 KB)
4mm_02.jpg
* 4mm_02.jpg (Filesize: 202.18 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:04 AM
Ah, good topic. I'll chime in with what I firmly believe to be the best carpenters measuring tool out there, the Talmeter (after T. A, Ljungberg). Pictured are the two I have at home at two and three meters.

So, tape measures, what's so special about them I hear you ask. Well, these have a couple of tricks up their sleeves. First, they are not labelled as tape measures but as marking measures, they have sharp tips at zero on the tape as well as at the housing. So instead of those flimsy tips that moves to correct for inside versus outside measurements you have a thin scribe that won't move. No need to reach for the pen. The tape is also very firmly stuck unless I press the button, why is this important?

Well, this is the big one! You are not supposed to remember any measurements with these. Instead you measure and then mark it up directly on what you're about to cut. Perfect for cutting skirting and the like with as little error as possible.

There are a couple of other features on them just because they could get them in there. The tape basically has three scales. The main scale (black), a red scale that is just the main scale +10 cm (4") to adjust for the extra tape used for interior measurements. The third scale is the main scale times π and allows you to easily measure a diameter by wrapping the tape around the object.
There's also a tiny hole at the 10 cm mark where you can point a needle through and then use the scribe to mark out circles.

A few years ago the Talmeter was bought up by Swedish tool-maker Hultafors and they now look a little bit more "cool" in black and metallic but their main function seems to remain the same. I don't have any of these new ones to compare with but it seems they added mechanism to attach the Talmeter to your belt which seem rather useful.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:08 AM

Breakfast burritos don't have rice in them. But they can have potatos or hash.

I also vote for breakfast burrito, if I understand the thread correctly  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:02:10 AM
Mint Chocolate Chip :D

No wait wrong thread :think:

:rofl:

I will go with brick trowels ::)

W Rose trowels are the best in the US (well to me they are) they also make several other top of the line masonry tools :dd: :like:

http://www.krafttool.com/products/by-category/w-rose
RO316-9.jpg
* RO316-9.jpg (Filesize: 63.92 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:15 PM
Ah, good topic. I'll chime in with what I firmly believe to be the best carpenters measuring tool out there, the Talmeter (after T. A, Ljungberg). Pictured are the two I have at home at two and three meters.
(Image removed from quote.)

So, tape measures, what's so special about them I hear you ask. Well, these have a couple of tricks up their sleeves. First, they are not labelled as tape measures but as marking measures, they have sharp tips at zero on the tape as well as at the housing. So instead of those flimsy tips that moves to correct for inside versus outside measurements you have a thin scribe that won't move. No need to reach for the pen. The tape is also very firmly stuck unless I press the button, why is this important?

Well, this is the big one! You are not supposed to remember any measurements with these. Instead you measure and then mark it up directly on what you're about to cut. Perfect for cutting skirting and the like with as little error as possible.

There are a couple of other features on them just because they could get them in there. The tape basically has three scales. The main scale (black), a red scale that is just the main scale +10 cm (4") to adjust for the extra tape used for interior measurements. The third scale is the main scale times π and allows you to easily measure a diameter by wrapping the tape around the object.
There's also a tiny hole at the 10 cm mark where you can point a needle through and then use the scribe to mark out circles.

A few years ago the Talmeter was bought up by Swedish tool-maker Hultafors and they now look a little bit more "cool" in black and metallic but their main function seems to remain the same. I don't have any of these new ones to compare with but it seems they added mechanism to attach the Talmeter to your belt which seem rather useful.
Nice, I can see how you can measure more precisely with those sharp tips (with mine I always try to avoid including the housing as I don't feel comfortable with the measurement)... and the Hultafors version is available here :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:16 PM

W Rose trowels are the best in the US (well to me they are) they also make several other top of the line masonry tools :dd: :like:

That looks a bit like that new Böker knife :D... So, what makes them the best (to you)?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:24:50 PM

Nice, I can see how you can measure more precisely with those sharp tips (with mine I always try to avoid including the housing as I don't feel comfortable with the measurement)... and the Hultafors version is available here :ahhh

Exactly, so here you have three different scribe-points depending on the kind of measurement you're taking (inside/outside) and what side you happen to have in your hand (tape/housing). Here they can be seen all three of them, the one furthest away being the fold out 10 cm for internal measurements (rounded for ergonomics since while folded it sits about where you're going to hold on to the housing).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 06:53:40 PM
Exactly, so here you have three different scribe-points depending on the kind of measurement you're taking (inside/outside) and what side you happen to have in your hand (tape/housing). Here they can be seen all three of them, the one furthest away being the fold out 10 cm for internal measurements (rounded for ergonomics since while folded it sits about where you're going to hold on to the housing).

Clever :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 07:48:29 PM

That looks a bit like that new Böker knife :D... So, what makes them the best (to you)?

What makes them the best to me :think: I love the way they feel in hand (the pitch of the handle is better for me than on many other trowels)  Everyone has a different opinion of what feels better to them :tu: They are made basically how they have been made for well over 200 years in the same town right outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and the carbon steel they use to make them is very long wearing, flexible and tough for one in my trade :cheers: :cheers: :like:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 05:59:41 PM
When a wall needs a new opening for an electric outlet or window, OR when there's a bit of flooring that needs to be trimmed off but there's no clearance, or a portion of trim needs to be removed BUT not all of it needs to be removed, what's the best way to do it?

Oscillating saw!

Currently, I use a Fein oscillating saw (which is just awesome) but it's corded.  Recently I saw a DeWalt cordless oscillating saw.  Time will tell if it's better.  Using the Oscillating saw gives so much more control and so much less overcutting.  The only other tool I've seen that gives this much control is a router with a roller bearing bit.

Oscillating saw:  You all need one.  :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:49:21 PM
What? We need more tools? A Spirit won't do? Are you serious?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10:12 AM
I have lots of Multitools and other hand tools, but I only have one hand truck.  I bought it about 25 years ago and, although it may seem strange, it is my favorite tool because when I need it there is no substitute.
P1110668.JPG
* P1110668.JPG (Filesize: 78.59 KB)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:14:29 AM by Alan K. »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 02:05:39 PM

I do have to apologize.  I'm out of burrito skins so this had to be "Burrito deconstructed"  but THIS is the makings of a great breakfast burrito:

Scrambled eggs with sriracha salt
Strip of carne asada
Brown rice, beans and bell pepper
Sprinkle of cheese.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68