Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non-tactical folding knife?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Non-tactical folding knife?
on: March 05, 2017, 02:17:01 AM
Howdy!

I'm curious what's out there as far as non-tactical looking EDC folding knives. I think I'd like a locking blade and one hand opening, but neither are hard requirements. I do want a blade less than 3".

I tend to like a bit more low key, traditional style knives like SAKs and moras, but I'm not sure what a comparable inexpensive but quality folder would be. I have an opinel, and while nice, is a bit more primitive than what I'm looking for.

I like the idea of the Vic one handed sentinel, but it seems to get mixed reviews. Though maybe that's because people are comparing it to more "hard use" tactical type knives like spydercos?

So, given that vague set of rambling thoughts, any suggestions?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Re: Non-tactical folding knife?
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:38:02 AM
I would need a little more information before I can offer an opinion, or enable help.
Here is a thread with a lot of traditionals to look at.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67956.msg1327099.html#msg1327099

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:46:07 AM
Thanks. I'm basically looking for a single blade folding knife that could be carried for EDC, but non tactical looking. I'd prefer something one hand opening and with a lock, but those aren't hard requirements.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:48:47 AM
Are you wanting a dress knife? What is your reason for it needing to be "non tactical?" Is it just so people don't freak out when you whip it out? Is it illegal to have "weapons" where you are? What kind of day to day usage do you expect to get out of it? I can make some recommendations but they will be a little better with more insight into why and for what purpose you're looking at these. When I'm in places where people may freak out at a "scary looking" knife I tend to keep my "scary knife" concealed and only use a sak or nice looking traditional in public.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:46:18 AM

Thanks. I'm basically looking for a single blade folding knife that could be carried for EDC, but non tactical looking. I'd prefer something one hand opening and with a lock, but those aren't hard requirements.
Some may disagree but if you want one hand opening it will be tactical looking.
Something like this?
https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell-3-1-2-Titanium-Lockback--RUS-P832TI
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:05:46 AM by Dean51 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:38:15 AM
Blue/pink/yellow handled mini grip with sheepsfoot blade.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:22 AM
SOG used to have the Sculptura model that may fit the bill. Small, one-hand open, arc look, and ... well, cute.  :P Japanese made knife. The SOG Bluto is another great little knife.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:56:51 AM
Case and buck have some smaller locking knives the only oho i can think of is the russlock.

Sanrenmu has the oho ho2 etc but they do not lock.

You can buy a kit to convert knives to oho too.

Depending on your definition of locking you nay also look at the small svord peasant etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:17:32 AM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:37 AM
Some may disagree but if you want one hand opening it will be tactical looking.
Something like this?
https://agrussell.com/kni...nium-Lockback--RUS-P832TI

Colorful Spydercos might look less tactical to some eyes.

I disagree. I open my Opinel #8 Couteaux de Jardin one handed with ease (I pinch it with index and thumb fingers but I also use thumb only and gravity, since there is no tension spring).
It's cheap, beautiful, non-tactical and it locks open and closed. Easily engraved with a pyrograph. It's on my signature.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am looking for something more people friendly. I work in an office environment, and my normal EDC is a Vic pioneer. That hasn't raised any eyebrows.

There are occasions, however, where it would be handy to be able to grab and open a knife one handed. Plus, I like looking at new knives! ;)

The second aspect is that I'm not really in to the more modern, tactical or military type look. I also have no delusions of being able to use my carry knife in a defensive manner. So, I don't really need a hugely thick blade or super fancy materials.

I also like the idea of products like victorinox and mora where the price to performance ratio is very very good. I have no problem that my only fixed blades are moras, and would have no problem going out in the woods for an extended period with only that knife, even though it doesn't line up with the current craze for full tang fixed blades with super thick blade stock.

So, that's kind of what I'm seeking here, a OHO single blade version of a mora :think:

I think opinel is very close in terms of being more traditional with more mundane materials, but on my example I have problems with the wood swelling and making the blade very difficult to deploy.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 02:12:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am looking for something more people friendly. I work in an office environment, and my normal EDC is a Vic pioneer. That hasn't raised any eyebrows.

There are occasions, however, where it would be handy to be able to grab and open a knife one handed. Plus, I like looking at new knives! ;)

The second aspect is that I'm not really in to the more modern, tactical or military type look. I also have no delusions of being able to use my carry knife in a defensive manner. So, I don't really need a hugely thick blade or super fancy materials.

I also like the idea of products like victorinox and mora where the price to performance ratio is very very good. I have no problem that my only fixed blades are moras, and would have no problem going out in the woods for an extended period with only that knife, even though it doesn't line up with the current craze for full tang fixed blades with super thick blade stock.

So, that's kind of what I'm seeking here, a OHO single blade version of a mora :think:

I think opinel is very close in terms of being more traditional with more mundane materials, but on my example I have problems with the wood swelling and making the blade very difficult to deploy.

Something like this, should be people friendly.
https://www.buckknives.com/product/nobleman-knife/0327FAM01/

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 02:43:34 PM
I never had a problem with swelling.

The Outdoors model can be opened with one hand much easier, because of the shackle key, and there's no sweling of the plastic handle. You also get a whistle. But you might not like the half serrated style (I don't).

Another option I might try. You take a LM Wave (or Surge), remove one handle and you have a nice OHO blade with some tools as a plus. You might choose both blades, straight and serrated.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 04:22:21 PM
Maybe a more friendly look small folder would be good enough?

How about these?  One of them is a kershaw kurai.  It is kind of old but may be still available.  2.5 inch blade and looks very harmless. The other one is the CRKT Pilar. Very small one but yet very useful. Both OHO with lock. Both are cheapo...  The kershaw is less than 20 I think while the CRKT is like 20-25.
_20170305_231630.JPG
* _20170305_231630.JPG (Filesize: 124.14 KB)
_20170305_231650.JPG
* _20170305_231650.JPG (Filesize: 85 KB)
_20170208_232050.JPG
* _20170208_232050.JPG (Filesize: 286.5 KB)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:32:28 PM by aurabattler »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:47 PM
I'd also recommend some of the SRM models, they have many many OHO and locking/non locking folders available, most tend to be on the smaller side and very inexpensive.

I love the SRM 6040 for a ultra light, easily opened and very sharp scalpel like folder. Lockback, clip is excellent and it's less than $10 shipped!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%