Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi-tools pricing themselves out of reach?

Offline stugumby

Multi-tools pricing themselves out of reach?
on: April 19, 2017, 04:33:17 AM
Was just looking online for a new Swisstool, seems $85 and up these days, depending on sheath, bits and accessories. Almost getting too pricey?? same for Leathermans as well, Juice S2 for $64.. arghhh thats getting almost too much, of course it is all about "how bad do you want it" and what you are willing to pay.
Was just looking at literally a bucket full of my EDC stuff, pocket organizers, multi tools, knives, mirrors, whistles, fire starters, all the stuff we cant seem to live without. Had to have it, obsessed over it, got it, used it once and into the black hole of the collection it went. Have spent equal to a cruise ship vacation on this stuff over the last 4-5 yrs... Having to ask myself why, OCD =EDC, there must be a secret formula, everyone collects something, at least tools are usefull in everyday living. Want the latest Swisstool just for the different plier head and serrated blade shape, already have quite a few of them over the years including the Spirits.
Anyone else get the same thought process?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Multi-tools pricing themselves out of reach?
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:32:49 PM
I was in a local outdoors shop yesterday and I was surprised to see the Crunch.  I was even more surprised to see the $180 price tag attached to it, which is Canadian Dollars of course, but that still works out to $135 US.  That's an awful lot of $$ for a mere multitool.  After all, I once bought a car for $250 and drove across the country in it, and a 1980 Pontiac Catalina is a much larger piece of metal than a Crunch.

On the flip side, when you compare it to knife prices, many knives go for much higher prices and have a lot less moving parts.  When you consider the engineering and assembly time alone you either come to the conclusion that multitools either need to be much more expensive or they need to be made in places where labour is much cheaper than in the US.

As for the SwissTool, well, frankly I think those are worth a lot more than they tend to retail for.  I like the Charge models, but at an MSRP of $170 the SwissTool at a mere $85 seems like a bargain.

In the end, yeah, prices are higher than they used to be, but look at the innovation we've been enjoying lately, with Gerber's Center-Drive and all of the new SOG models.  Those took time to design, and can't just be purchased or licensed from a local knifemaker like many of the big name knife companies do.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:52:06 PM
Cheap used cars need expensive maintenance though, so apples to oranges.
I agree with the sentiment though. Vic tools are a bargain compared to some LM...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:34:33 PM
One of the privately owned hardware stores near my work is offering 25% off LM and 15% on Vic,so while I don't need anything,I thought I'd have a look,and at least pistol in the Deals and Offers forum...

£101 for a Rebar,and over £200 for a Signal! Stuff that! Ok,a new Swisstool is over a hundred quid in the Vic store,but that's getting on for half the price of the LM!

I'm glad I've stocked up on multitools,because not only are the new ones not impressing me,but I just would stump up that kind of money!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:49 PM
I buy multitools on sale such as the Leatherman Supertool 300s that I found on clearance at Wal-mart for $30 a few years ago, or the Skeletools that were at Home Depot for $29.95 at Christmas time, or I buy them used as I find them. I kind of like buying used tools because I get to try them out and abuse them (guilt free because they are already scratched and scuffed) and if I really like them I may buy a new one, eventually, if I find it for the right price. New tools at full retail just don't fit in my budget. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:28 PM
Prices are rising.  I tend to get mine second hand as well as my SAKs.  I did buy a few tools new but I usually found them on sale. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:49 PM
I have been buying multitools for close to 20 years and I have seen an increase in prices as well. Some prices I feel are justified while others are just crazy. I shop around for what I feel is a good deal for that tool and will often browse local vendors for items on close out. But I also see it this way, have prices really gone up or have we gotten frugal? My first Leatherman Pulse I got at REI for $80 and then a tool adapter for $30. Back then I felt it was high but I knew what I was getting was quality. Before the internet became what it is today we paid these prices and did so at local stores. We didn't hunt for the best price and complain if someone over priced or heavens forbid charged retail for said item.

What I feel is some manufacturers inflate their retail so when it gets discounted down the road the profit is better than if they were conservative on their pricing. Either that or it's simply inflation due to market demand and inflation due to cost of manufacturing etc.

Either way there are still good prices to grab for tools if you hunt around and do your research. The prices I see most of the time are in the range I expect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:05 PM
Best Deal On SAKs ever

Just sayin'....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:54:55 PM
 8)

Not here... everything is getting cheaper here, including MTs.
Past 5 years the LM prices have shrunk to less than half. Vic prices are the same as 5 years ago, but considering the increase in salaries, they have gotten cheaper in effect too. Gerber and SOG are still hard to get here (but luckily we have the MTO store now).
I'm actually more hesitant when it comes to knives I find them often way over-priced.

Btw, worst deal you can get here, is an original Samsung or iPhone case, they cost around 80$ for a piece of plastic :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 06:56:57 PM
Best Deal On SAKs ever

Just sayin'....

Def
Right side, second from the bottom (red and green), is that Bosch branded (on the blade)?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:29 PM

Best Deal On SAKs ever

Just sayin'....

Def
:o
 :like:
Just wondering, will ya be adding 4 layer SAKs anytime soon? Interested as I am doing some shopping around for mod parts.

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Best Deal On SAKs ever

Just sayin'....

Def
Right side, second from the bottom (red and green), is that Bosch branded (on the blade)?

It is indeed. I wondered if anyone was going to ask about that one.   :D

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 11:32:29 PM
8)

Not here... everything is getting cheaper here, including MTs.
Past 5 years the LM prices have shrunk to less than half. Vic prices are the same as 5 years ago, but considering the increase in salaries, they have gotten cheaper in effect too. Gerber and SOG are still hard to get here (but luckily we have the MTO store now).
I'm actually more hesitant when it comes to knives I find them often way over-priced.

Btw, worst deal you can get here, is an original Samsung or iPhone case, they cost around 80$ for a piece of plastic :facepalm:

They sell LM in Switzerland?  :o

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 08:30:37 AM
outside of the US prices for US companies' MT have always been high. LM Micras were 50 Euro, ten years ago.

However, swisstool prices have risen a lot too.

I ordered a swisstool from Amazon UK in 2010 for 38 pounds. Now they are considered cheap if they are under 100 Euro. - The dealer here sells them for 200.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:02 AM
Best Deal On SAKs ever

Just sayin'....

Def

It is indeed. I wondered if anyone was going to ask about that one.   :D

Def
Could you put that one aside for me? PM incoming

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 09:14:16 AM
outside of the US prices for US companies' MT have always been high. LM Micras were 50 Euro, ten years ago.

However, swisstool prices have risen a lot too.

I ordered a swisstool from Amazon UK in 2010 for 38 pounds. Now they are considered cheap if they are under 100 Euro. - The dealer here sells them for 200.
Cheap LM (Micra / Wingman etc) are still rather expensive here but the more expensive models (Wave and up) got cheaper. Basically, I can get a Wingman for 60, a Rebar or Wave for 70$

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:13 AM
It is weird, as the prices for the regular victorinox models (SAKs, including LE) are reasonable, and I get a discount, but the prices for swisstools are very high - like they are being taxed by weight :)   The authorised dealer just charges what Victorinox recommends, so a swisstool is 200 euros

I buy all my US based tools online, form overseas dealers.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 11:50:56 AM
It is weird, as the prices for the regular victorinox models (SAKs, including LE) are reasonable, and I get a discount, but the prices for swisstools are very high - like they are being taxed by weight :)   The authorised dealer just charges what Victorinox recommends, so a swisstool is 200 euros

I buy all my US based tools online, form overseas dealers.
I should make a black-market SwissTool sale when I'm on holidays in Cyprus :P

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 11:55:39 AM
The authorised dealer just charges what Victorinox recommends, so a swisstool is 200 euros

:o
Have any been sold at that price? Do they not know we can check prices online, and indeed order them online?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:24 PM
Man, profit margins on multitools must be huge.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:06 PM
I do not think many are sold but most people buying these will buy them as gadgets-gifts so they may not bother to check the price (Wife buying husband a present)

The problem with importing from Switzerland is the import tax. So, for every 100 euros you need to add about 20 more, and shipping.
How much is a swisstool in Switzerland?

When are you coming here again? 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 03:55:02 PM
I do not think many are sold but most people buying these will buy them as gadgets-gifts so they may not bother to check the price (Wife buying husband a present)

The problem with importing from Switzerland is the import tax. So, for every 100 euros you need to add about 20 more, and shipping.

115ish Euros... Mai :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:12 PM
Due to recent political events in SA our currency's buying power got another shot in the foot.

I've been itching to get one of the Victorinox MT's and a certain Spyderco for a while now.......both firmly out of reach now.  :cry:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 05:48:12 PM

115ish Euros... Mai :D

They are not that cheap then...

Let me know when you are here and maybe we can meet.  I should be here for most of May.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 06:15:33 PM
My dad paid over £90 for my wave back in 1998,I guess they have never been cheap, but it's funny how old vintage slipjoints are increasing in price yet some of these knives was known as penny knives, I wonder if vintage MT's as more mass produced will be worth as much in the future ?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:40 PM
I have bought very few tools at the MSRP or store prices. My collection would be 1/4th of what it is now if I did so.
None of those was a Leatherman ($60 for a Wingman? $90 for a ST300? or the mighty Charge TTI, $170?) That's some really crazy inflation in price right there, Gerbers ($60 for an octane, $80 for a MP600) and SOGs are the same (cheapest Powerlocks start at $70 here)
My recommendation and solution is to buy used. Takes time and patience but most times the tool is NIB or like new and you get a real discount from the retail price.
Now at this very moment I have three barely used Spirits for $65, $75 and $80 spotted, but I have more than one of those already. It's sad that most Europe and non US countries are suffering this, as most people end up getting a cheapo MT or don't even look a any of the major manufacturers when in search of a multi tool.

A way of putting themselves outside of the market, and losing lots of potential buyers IMO. :pok:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline JP

Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:04 PM
I have been thinking the same thing while knife shopping. I want a Kershaw Skyline.... but I don't want to pay $50 or more for one. Same with a ZT 0450 at $160+. USD. Add another 30% for Canadian prices.

(factory blem Skyline are $35 USD but shipping and duties / taxes are Killjoys)

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:44 PM
a handy website to bookmark is camelcamelcamel.com you can copy and paste an amazon URL and see the price history. but everything has increased over the last 5 years, Saks, MT from all brands

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 02:14:54 AM
I have been thinking the same thing while knife shopping. I want a Kershaw Skyline.... but I don't want to pay $50 or more for one. Same with a ZT 0450 at $160+. USD. Add another 30% for Canadian prices.

(factory blem Skyline are $35 USD but shipping and duties / taxes are Killjoys)

I've got a pile of ZT knives to list in the MTO Store. If you want to handle one before you buy let me know.  :D

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 02:16:44 AM
Yeah, I was checking them out. Good looking knives. :)

Do you think that you will carry Kershaw or Biker?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD