Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RIP Ueli Steck

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
RIP Ueli Steck
on: April 30, 2017, 05:01:06 PM
Most of us know the name Ueli Steck because of his collaboration with Wenger on a pocketknife.

He was of course a mountaineer and sadly he died today near Everest, at the age of 40.

This is the guy who almost ran up the North Face of the Eiger in 2 hours 22 minutes - a staggering achievement when you realise it used to take the best climbers in the world days to ascend, and dozens of them never came down alive.

Anyway, here is a film of the master at work - Ueli in typical style, nipping up 82 Summits In 62 Days:

This guy was nuts. In the best possible way! A real Swiss legend.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: RIP Ueli Steck
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:12:45 PM
No! Very, very sad.
At least he died the way he chose to live.

hr Offline styx

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:20:51 PM
holy smurf! sad to see him go
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 05:29:52 PM
 :hatsoff:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

cs Offline osasmudj

• Vrh dna
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:42:30 PM
R.i.p.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
RIP  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:49:17 PM
RIP indeed - what a mountaineer.....

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:57:47 PM
RIP - amazing guy
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:06 PM
A truly amazing individual!
RIP
 :salute:

Offline drrobinson

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 11:31:12 PM
RIP Swiss Machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:14:27 AM
:(
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 12:19:26 AM
I'll admit that I didn't know who he was until his Wenger model came out but I was very impressed by what I learned about him.  I've looked in on his career a time or two since then and was always impressed by what he'd accomplished.  The man was a real adventurer, and, while I am sad to hear his story has ended, I am glad to hear that he died doing what he loved.  We should all be so lucky.

RIP Ueli Steck.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 12:23:22 AM
 :salute:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 03:25:58 AM
RIP Ueli :salute:
Send In the spartans

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 06:02:25 PM
RIP  :salute:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 03:35:02 AM
RIP Swiss Machine.

Been reading up a bit more on him since yesterday.

Apparently he did not like that title and people who know him well thought it was not an accurate reflection of the man
It certainly seems to apply to his achievement's, his approach to training, his exploits and challenges.

But there was a lot more to the man and, by all accounts, he was a truly 'nice guy', with many other aspects to his character and make up.

The weirdest/tragic thing is that he died while on his training/warm-up/acclimatisation for the challenge for which he was preparing this year - The Everest/Lhotse traverse - which had not been done since 1963.
He was also planning an unusual and difficult ascent route up Everest and even spending a night in the 'Death Zone' above 8,000m   

As many commentators noted, as a mountaineer, he was totally unique - And there has never really been anyone like him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:44:20 AM by Huntsman »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 09:52:01 AM
RIP. I was looking for this thread.

Note: there is a media frenzy against mountain climbers in Romania these days, as some folks took their underage kids last week (all have been to Everest and McKinley and such before) in the Romania Alps ignoring avalanche warnings and two of the kids died...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:51 AM
RIP.  :salute:

Note: there is a media frenzy against mountain climbers in Romania these days, as some folks took their underage kids last week (all have been to Everest and McKinley and such before) in the Romania Alps ignoring avalanche warnings and two of the kids died...
So lets fence off the mountains and keep people away from them, for Health and Safety!  ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 11:08:56 AM

So lets fence off the mountains and keep people away from them, for Health and Safety!  ::)
Yes and no... I recently was on a difficult trail, you know going straight down to the left and to the right and you cannot place your whole foot anywhere and often have to take big steps... There was a family with kids (little ones at age of 9 and 11). So, of course they had to be saved because they couldn't go forward or backwards anymore.

I mean what did they expect? There are warning signs at both ends of that trail.
We don't need to fence off mountains, we need to beat some prudence into some people.

As for Ueli Steck. Seen him speak once... really chill dude. It is always sad if someone dies, but challenging death was part of his deal, part of the thrill. I'm convinced he would say we should celebrate life and not mourn death... also get up that mountain :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
The US press is talking about Steck earlier have to flee from an angry mob of locals, and implying there may be more than just an accident. Don't know if that's just the sensationalist US press or what.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/05/01/ueli-steck-famed-swiss-mountain-climber-dead-after-plunging-3280-feet-near-mt-everest/?utm_term=.b58d1298b9bc

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 01:14:52 PM
Hmmm I don't think so

The incident with the Sherpa's was a few years ago, and whilst it was very unpleasant and life threatening (according to the Western climbers) at the time, I think they settled their differences later.

And from what I know he was soloing (ie no-one around) when he fell to his death on Nuptse

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 01:45:17 PM

Well it's somewhere in the middle.. both kids were minors, the area was closed off for the winter, they took the summer path, avalanche risk was 5/5 and the kids weren't wearing helmets.

Also they've been known to push their kids through injury and stuff... they even faked documents to be allowed to climb in the Andes and sued the government who wouldn't let kids under 13 climb to the top.

https://www.agerpres.ro/english/2017/04/24/teen-record-holding-climber-dor-geta-popescu-fellow-mountain-aficionado-die-in-avalanche-18-16-20
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 08:44:30 PM
Sad news indeed, but as Grant said at least he was doing what he loved.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 11:12:49 AM
Like some others here I didn't know who he was until I read this thread.
What an amazing man!
Too bad the odds were Stecked against him.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 09:47:33 AM

May your spirit climb forever, Ueli.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!