Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will Victorinox ever...

kaput · 88 · 2706

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Will Victorinox ever...
on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:03 AM
Will Victorinox ever use a higher quality blade materials for their SAKs?  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Will Victorinox ever...
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:29:52 AM
I just want a thicker (older style) tool option available. 

Like they say:  If it ain't broke, make it increasingly thin with the passing of time...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:31:07 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:01:04 AM

Like they say:  If it ain't broke, make it increasingly thin with the passing of time...
Like they say: If we can use higher quality(compared to 70's) steel, we can make some stuff thinner.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:19:25 AM
I hope not. It would be a case of "new" is absolutely NOT "improved".

It isn't a supersteel. Big deal. I can get 1095 carbon sharper in five minutes than I can those, ditto the stainless that Vic uses. I've owned knives made out of supersteels, hated ever one of them. They do stay sharp longer, but I can't get them as sharp as easily, and honestly a knife I can get shaving sharp in five minutes with what I can stick in my pack, even if I have to do that every hour or two if I"m working non stop, is several orders of magnitude better than one I have to spend an hour on twice a day with a small toolbox of stuff. For the extra expense, these over hyped attempts at making mithril or adamantium are a waste of time.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:35 AM
I'm fine with the steel quality too, not too brittle, not hard to sharpen, and completely rustproof. The Damast blades are cool, but I don't notice any real difference with the one I have vs. the regular ones, it's clearly only aesthetics for the end user.

But!

Will they ever develop a clip for the Spirit, that's what I want to know.  ;)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:14 AM
Will they ever.... possibly but I doubt it is at the top of their "to do" list. Their blade steel has been working for them for quite a while now and they keep it a bit of a seceret. Changing blade steel seems very unlikely for them. With that said I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated model with upgraded steel but you better believe it will be at a higher price point. Probably much higher since they would most likely develop their own steel which cost A LOT to do and would be passed down to the consumer.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:10:14 AM

Like they say: If we can use higher quality(compared to 70's) steel, we can make some stuff thinner.

Still using the same or? Just change in grind and polish am i wrong?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:11:40 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:48 AM
Will Victorinox ever...put pocketclips on their medium to large size knives?  :think:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:41 AM
I appreciate the price point for their knives and I think you get a great value overall. I was just curious if they would ever offer a premium option. (Not Damascus LE)

us Offline aluminated

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:45 AM
Will Victorinox ever...put pocketclips on their medium to large size knives?  :think:
Per the Sakwiki, "The Pocket-Clip was first introduced in 2009 for a select number of 111mm model knives. The stainless steel clip is integrated into the back scale (front scale has logo)."
Do these not count?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:46 AM
Per the Sakwiki, "The Pocket-Clip was first introduced in 2009 for a select number of 111mm model knives. The stainless steel clip is integrated into the back scale (front scale has logo)."
Do these not count?

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I wish Victorinox makes it available on the other models as well  :tu:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 06:11:15 AM
I didn't know it until yesterday either.
Also check out the 111mm pocket clip kit from swissbianco.com.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 06:29:15 AM

Can't Victorinox just buy this design?  :D

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 06:35:31 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
They would never. That design is hideous (albeit functional). If Vic wanted to go the clip route it would be much more elegant.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 06:51:12 AM

They would never. That design is hideous (albeit functional). If Vic wanted to go the clip route it would be much more elegant.

You have a point there. The original clip is much more elegant. Why won't they make this "mainstream", I wonder

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 06:54:23 AM
I don't see them changing a winning formula.  While I can appreciate the super steels Vic steel is more than adequate.  Now them doing like the Cap said and make a dedicated model with "upgraded" steel would be neat.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Frailer

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 07:40:08 AM
I think the steel Victorinox possesses the qualities I want in a knife I carry daily: easy to sharpen and exceptionally resistant to corrosion.

What constitutes "higher quality" to you?

If you're referring to one of the so-called "super steels" we'll have to agree to disagree. Unless I get a job as a professional cardboard-slicer I don't plan on purchasing another knife with such a blade.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:45:07 AM by Frailer »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:37 AM
I don't see them changing a winning formula.  While I can appreciate the super steels Vic steel is more than adequate.  Now them doing like the Cap said and make a dedicated model with "upgraded" steel would be neat.   
agree. Yeah maybe even a specific model or two, certainly not the entire line.  :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:04 AM
Vic started out with a soldier's knife.
What do you want as a soldier?
A knife that gets dull faster, but can be sharpened against a rock, a mug, a piece of glass, ...
Or a knife that stays sharp 3 times longer but needs special tools to sharpen when dull?

Also keep in mind that WE are the fanatics. Vic sells most knives to mainstream people who just want to buy 1 or 2 tools for work or outdoors and couldn't care less about blade steel.
The steel is nearly maintenance free and very easy to sharpen by someone without the exact knowhow.
Basicaly: Vic's steel is spot on!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:12:02 AM

Still using the same or? Just change in grind and polish am i wrong?

bump

Anyone?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:57:08 AM
I suspect some of the reason Vic doesn't like talking about the steel is they want the freedom to change their sourcing and adjust the alloy. Wouldn't be a good thing business-wise to have a lock-in on their steel contract, considering the longevity of their knife models and business.

They have informed they use DIN 1.4110, which tells us something, but not that much. I have a faint recollection the currently get the steel from Bonpertuis (huge, French supplier), but I am really not sure at all. Also, note when you just say the standard number, you don't say all the story, since there is quite a lot of leeway in the composition while still being within a given standard.

So, I am pretty convinced Vic has silently changed what their stainless actually is many times over the years. Essentially, the time they have been in the market tells us that.

That said, I really, really, really want a tough, forgiving steel for my SAKs. Not an edge holding drama queen with penchant for micro-chipping.

Vic strives to make reliable tools at an accessible price point, at least that's their official motto. Super steels would make that part about accessible price point go out the window. If I liked the alloy, I would still buy that special edition, but I'm a collector. Most people would moan (very) loudly about the price of the knife compared to the standard and the fact «that Chinese knife» uses the same super steel and is so much cheaper.

de Offline Hambango

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 11:42:37 AM
I agree, Vic's steel is just perfect for what it's meant to do. No reason to change it imho.

I'll just plonk down the link to a YT video which always makes me chuckle (apologies if it's already known):

It's especially funny when compared to this one:

:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 12:40:40 PM
I hope not. It would be a case of "new" is absolutely NOT "improved".

It isn't a supersteel. Big deal. I can get 1095 carbon sharper in five minutes than I can those, ditto the stainless that Vic uses. I've owned knives made out of supersteels, hated ever one of them. They do stay sharp longer, but I can't get them as sharp as easily, and honestly a knife I can get shaving sharp in five minutes with what I can stick in my pack, even if I have to do that every hour or two if I"m working non stop, is several orders of magnitude better than one I have to spend an hour on twice a day with a small toolbox of stuff. For the extra expense, these over hyped attempts at making mithril or adamantium are a waste of time.

^^^ This!!!

Victorinox have no need of brittle overhyped steels when the grade they use works so well. Ease of sharpening beats edge retention, and affordability is a significant part of why Victorinox have remained so successful.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fi Offline Padre

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 12:42:59 PM
I hope not. Vic blades dull really fast, but are joy to sharpen.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:17 PM
I hope not. Vic blades dull really fast, but are joy to sharpen.
Indeed!

After a good day of cutting I just have to put it against the straightening steel and we're ready to roll again!

Offline george1

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 01:55:18 PM

You have a point there. The original clip is much more elegant. Why won't they make this "mainstream", I wonder

I've always wondered if you can just put the scales from that model with the clip onto other 111 mm models?

de Offline Hambango

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 02:11:14 PM

I've always wondered if you can just put the scales from that model with the clip onto other 111 mm models?

Sadly you can't. The scales don't have the recess for the corkscrew/phillips driver.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 02:57:22 PM
Personally I would love a superior steel, easily sharpened and stainless. 154cm for example. Don't think it will every happen though. I'm very happy with that steel on my Leathermans (skeletool/charge). I do realise why Victorinox use the steel that they do. They are easy to punch out, are suitable for the vast majority of users and indeed tuned for the casual blade user. Most of all they keep the tool price as low as it is. I would love there to be an aftermarket solution though.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 03:07:55 PM
Whats wrong with the Vic steel?
Cheap.
Edge retention: Very reasonable for the price.
And when it does go blunt... You can sharpen it Very easily.

Personally, if Vic used super steel, I would be lost.  :ahhh
I have no clue how to sharpen that stuff.  :ahhh
Hence, I would not use SAKs.  :o  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 03:19:32 PM

Sadly you can't. The scales don't have the recess for the corkscrew/phillips driver.
I guess we will never see Victorinox ever making pocketclips mainstream.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%