Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinion on Gifting tools

us Offline Zhenchok

Opinion on Gifting tools
on: August 14, 2017, 03:28:50 PM
Sorry for the misleading title, but hey it got your attention 😊

Just wanted to get your opinions and share an experience.  I have a hard time giving multitools away, even if I have a few of the same one, in all honesty a person only needs one or two.  This past weekend I had my daily carry new Leatherman Skeletool on me and my brother mentioned how cool it is.  As hard as it was, I said here you can have it because I know that you will appreciate using it and it won’t just sit in your drawer.  Personally it was a very tough choice because I find that no one I know appreciates a quality tool as much as I do.  Additionally, its not easy for me to go and spend extra money on a tool.  I own a few and and its hard to justify buying another one.  There are still many that I would like to own, like the SAK Farmer, but there is always a place I can spend money more efficiently.  For me its more than just a multitool.  I can name a few times in my life that I gave one away to friends and looking back sometimes say to my self, hey wish I didn’t do that.  One friend lost it, the other I lost touch with, another just has it in his drawer somewhere never used.  I guess I wish they appreciate it as much as I do. I noticed that many on the board have given tools away, what’s your philosophy on gifting tools? 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:30:12 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Opinion on Gifting tools
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:33:23 PM
I've gifted numerous multitools and SAKs over the years, and I do know that some went to a good home and have or will do plenty of good. I think these things make the perfect gifts - the gift that keeps on giving :) :tu:
SAW

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:36:24 PM
And SAKs are generally cheaper than multitools.  ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:38:18 PM
I have given away a lot of tools both here on the forum and to friends and others.  Generally when I give a tool away its because the person has expressed interest.  If that person uses the tool I really happy however like us sometimes the tool just doesn't work out for them.  When I give a tool away to someone I know I'll typically say, if the tool doesn't work out pass it on to someone or give it back and lets try another tool.  What I don't want is for the tool to sit which defeats the whole purpose of me giving it.  I don't know how many tools I've given away but I'll venture to say more than 30 which doesn't include knives and SAKs.  Its great when to person uses the tool and reports back to you and says how much the tool is appreciated in their day to day activities.  Its also great if like us they become enthusiasts.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:39:16 PM
In _most_ cases, I agree. I keep an assortment of Classic SD's to give out.
SAW

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:45 PM
I often give away quality tools and knives for birthday and xmas gifts. Of course to those I know will appreciate them. Whether they actually get used or not is not so important to me as long as I know it was appreciated. Some will value them for use, some as gadgets, and some for collecting.

Likewise I like getting quality tools myself. Who on this forum doesn't?  ::)

I think a keyword here for a good gift is quality. There are just so many low quality gimmicky and next-to-useless multi-tools out there, and those are just sad as gifts. (Well, come to think of, I do appreciate getting the amazingly bad ones too - just for the what-were-they-thinking factor).

Giving away a tool is a perfect excuse for getting another one  :D

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:44:53 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 03:52:29 PM
I hope when you all make a gift of anything sharp that you also give a penny with it! :pok:

"Gifting a knife to someone will cause the relationship between the giver and the recipient to be severed. To prevent this from happening, the recipient should give a "payment" to ensure that the relationship will not be cut. A small coin is the most popular "payment" given. Some givers often tape a penny to the blade so that the receiver will simply just return it as "payment."

This superstition actually dates back to the Vikings who believe that gifting a knife to someone implies that the receiver isn’t able to buy himself a good enough knife so he has to be given the knife for free. Thus, to avoid the intended insult, Vikings would “sell” a knife to a friend extremely cheap – the cost of one copper coin.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:52 PM
I hope when you all make a gift of anything sharp that you also give a penny with it! :pok:

"Gifting a knife to someone will cause the relationship between the giver and the recipient to be severed. To prevent this from happening, the recipient should give a "payment" to ensure that the relationship will not be cut. A small coin is the most popular "payment" given. Some givers often tape a penny to the blade so that the receiver will simply just return it as "payment."

This superstition actually dates back to the Vikings who believe that gifting a knife to someone implies that the receiver isn’t able to buy himself a good enough knife so he has to be given the knife for free. Thus, to avoid the intended insult, Vikings would “sell” a knife to a friend extremely cheap – the cost of one copper coin.
This is why I love MTO and you awl. All the obscure info.
:hug:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 03:56:48 PM
I typically don't have more than what I EDC because I am a quality FREEK.  That being said, I have given several away that were good tools but just didn't fit my needs.  Most have been given to those who I know will find them usefull but just do not have the means to aquire one for themselves.  This fits well for me as I belive we are only stewards of God's posessions, as such it is our responsability to recognise those things that help us to further his Kingdom and pass off those that may hold us back but help others.  In this I have found that the gift always seems to be a source of excitement and pride for the reciever and have seen the gifts put to their intended uses with great Joy.
Gifting from our abundance is a responsability and a freeing experiance when done with a humble servants heart that can't be beat.
So go forth with a light heart, keep what you need and give what other need form your abundance.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:23 PM
Thanks Guys, 

I really appreciate the responses.  I've actually heard about the penny tradition, and Aloha I completely agree that I try to give to someone who will appreciate the Multi, I would hate for it to just be thrown in to the junk darawer.  I actually had a friend who had a PST back in '97 he bought it for a camping trip that he and I went on.  After the few trips he simply left it in a drawer and said he doesnt care for it.  I ended trading him a 56K modem for it.   To him it was just a piece of junk, it had some rust from lack of care.  Sadly he died very young unexpectantly.  I still own that leatherman and its my favorite because fo all the memories I've had with my friend. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:26:45 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:52 PM
Just giveaway something here and you will be relieved by old habits.  :whistle:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 05:00:07 PM

SAKs are multitools!
 :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
 :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 05:02:13 PM
I hope when you all make a gift of anything sharp that you also give receive a penny with for it! :pok:

FTFY...

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:03:36 PM
And SAKs( which are not based on any tool are generally cheaper than plier based tools;)

SAKs are multitools!
 :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
 :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Fixed.  :)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:20 PM
Some givers often tape a penny to the blade so that the receiver will simply just return it as "payment."

This superstition actually dates back to the Vikings who believe that gifting a knife to someone implies that the receiver isn’t able to buy himself a good enough knife so he has to be given the knife for free.

Extra insulting by even taping a penny to the gift - as if the receiver can't even pay a penny  :D

I've heard a few different other reasons for this too. Something along the lines of giving a knife meaning a sewered relation, or that you wish the resipient harm. Today though this penny payment seems like a all but gone tradition - at least in these areas.

Not sure if the symbolics of giving clocks in China (your time is running out), or scissors (again severed relation) is still live and well or just old folklore?

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:33 PM
I've gifted to folks and I am sure it has saved them at point or another. I'm sure your brother is thankful and it has strengthened your relationship. Good stuff.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 05:12:02 PM
Thanks, I never received a multi in my life but I do feel good by giving the skeletool away and knowing that it will be appreciated:) I am hopeful that one day I go to a garage sale where a collector is selling SAKS and decides to "gift" or give me a good deal on some SAKS.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:15:16 PM by Zhenchok »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 05:12:19 PM
I've given away lots of stuff, both on here and in real life. I know that some stuff might end up in a drawer, but it's stuff that would end up in a drawer here. Better to take the chance that it's going to be useful to someone by passing it on down the line.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:55 AM

This is believed by some Chinese people as well and this is what my wife insisted I do when I "sold" her a Classic SD, my son a Hiker and my youngest sister a Recruit. I asked for coins as payment :)

Eversince I got the SAK fever, I also feel this urge to share SAK with others whom I believe will really use them for their utility. My youngest sister last night got excited when I handed over the Recruit as SAKs are universally recognized as a quality, non-threatening knife with tools. I also gave her a small Gerber tactical folder and she said she won't be bringing it daily as her officemates might get intimated, but won't have problem with the SAK  :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 12:18:25 PM
There is another perspective with gifting tools as well. Most who get it knows I appreciate and use them, and thus they also know that they are getting something I like and care about. That does make the gift more personal than many other soulless dingbat gifts.

And of course it totally solves many gift issues :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:51:49 PM
These days I only give multitools when I know they will be really appreciated (either for utility or collectability). 

I do give out lots of fauxtons* at every opportunity and I get lots of positive feedback later when people find out just how useful they are.

*  fauxton is a nickname for a very small led light running on 2 x CR2016 coin batteries.  Cheap, no-name copies of the original photon micro-light II
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=43884.0
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:54:35 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
Most of my friends carry (or at least own) a Huntsman, because I gave them one. Invariably, the bottle opener is the tool they use most.  :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:42 PM
One day, many years ago, I asked my father if he would like a Swiss Army Knife. No, he said, they´re much too complicated, I prefer simple tools. So I gave him a Pioneer Solo, and he´s been carrying it ever since. And to my mother I gave a smooth alox Secretary which she carries in her handbag, but I don´t think it gets much use.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 11:17:58 PM
My two most gifted multitools are the Skeletool and the SAK Classic as well as small key chain flashlights.
Only people that I know would use a Skeletool received them. One guy I work with got one from me last year. He has carried it everyday since.
Most anyone I can give a classic to. If they never need it it's still there. But when they do they sure think man this is handy.
I'm not a collector, or at least try not to be. I only buy what I use. So when I gift them they are bought with intention and for particular people.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 11:58:29 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I have gifted knives in the past on multiple occasions and always felt let down by the outcome. I once gifted a knife to a friend of mine and I find out he gave it to someone else as a birthday present because he's a cheap smurfer and did not want to buy him a gift. That really made me re-think gifting knives to people. I stopped all toghether for a while. Then one day the right situation came around and I gifted another knife to someone I worked with because I noticed she carried a knife and asked about it one day. It was some POS folder that was rusted to crap and quite a flimsy knife. I ended up giving her a nice Kershaw which she appeared to like. After that I noticed she was carrying the old beater she had been carrying before. I never did mention it to her. It just bugged me that I gift someone a pretty nice knife ($60 range) and they don't even carry it. I must say if it was just a random B-Day present and I wasn't sure if they were a knife person or would like that style knife then it wouldn't bug me, but in this situation I offered the knife and she said she would love that particular knife. Then when she gets it she doesn't like/carry it. I have gifted many knives since this with mixed results. I like to think the people that love a knife as a gift far outweighs the people who don't. I'm not saying in shear numbers (though it's possible), but rather the joy they get and you get from knowing they have a quality knife that they will get years of use from outweights the negative feeling of those who do not appreciate the gift.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:03:17 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69