Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tinker to Pioneer X...By Accident

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
on: August 30, 2017, 05:15:39 AM
Yesterday I finally received the SAKs that Dan (El Corkscrew) sent me. While cleaning them, I realized he sent me a Super Tinker, a Tinker, a Bantam and Rouge. I was extra delighted with the Super Tinker as I wanted a medium-sized slim SAK with scissors like the Pioneer X. The Tinker was the most used of the bunch with scales showing battle scars. Since I already have a 91mm translucent red scales coming, I decided I wanted to put this in the Super Tinker, and then re-use the Super Tinker's scales for the Tinker.

Since I don't have hairdryer at home, I decided to go with Java_Man's suggestion to boil the scales and then remove. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask up to what temperature! So the result was warped scales beyond use. :twak:

But after looking at the naked Super Tinker, I realized I now have a "Poor Man's Pioneer X" in my hands, with the added feature of having Philips and cargo holder! This also solves another problem I have because my new leather pocket caddy can only accomodate 2-layer SAKs with cellidor scales. But as you can see in the pic, it fits the naked Super Tinker perfectly!

I'm soooo happpyyyy!!!!  :like: :woohoo:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:38:44 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: Super Tinker to Pioneer X...By Accident
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:17:10 AM
Replacement scales can be ordered if one so desires.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:25:18 AM
Replacement scales can be ordered if one so desires.

Sorry GD, I was typing my story on my laptop after I uploaded the pics from my phone. See the complete story above  :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:01:11 AM
Don't boil the scales Bro... just soak them in luke warm water... That should be enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:05 AM
Don't boil the scales Bro... just soak them in luke warm water... That should be enough...

If that even. I never found it necessary to heat the scales before removal.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:37 AM

Ooooppssss...I should've back-read haha!

Live and learn, is my motto.

Buy I'm also checking out some custom scales like these in the future

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:31 AM

If your really careful, yes... not necessary... I just play it safe, especially If I want to reuse the scales...

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:10 AM

I was planning on recycling the Super Tinker's scales and use them for the Tinker, captain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:44 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
Cool ones... I like those G10... Orange is nice... Checked my avatar? :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:24 AM

I was planning on recycling the Super Tinker's scales and use them for the Tinker, captain

Even so. I have never found the need to heat them. Even without heat they will snap back on the next SAK without issue and hold properly. Just my experience though.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:07 AM

Oh those are cool! Bought from the US?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:10:33 AM

I got those from my friend who lives in Bali...He does custom scales on the side... And not just for SAKs

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:46 AM

Even so. I have never found the need to heat them. Even without heat they will snap back on the next SAK without issue and hold properly. Just my experience though.
Twas just that I read others experiences saying the scales weren't tight anymore when reused.

I'll try your technique in my future upgrade

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 06:12:56 AM

I got those from my friend who lives in Bali...He does custom scales on the side... And not just for SAKs

Does he sell them? Does he have a site or Facebook page?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 06:26:21 AM

Twas just that I read others experiences saying the scales weren't tight anymore when reused.

As long as you take them off properly your good. I have literally done it on dozens of SAKs and never had a issue. Maybe I'm just special like that.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:42:18 AM

As long as you take them off properly your good. I have literally done it on dozens of SAKs and never had a issue. Maybe I'm just special like that.  :D
Any advice on how to take them off properly? My experience has been that reused scales mostly fit, but never quite as nice as fresh scales. There's always a little gap.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:54:38 AM
I just open the corkscrew or Phillips, take out the toothpick and tweezers. I use a tiny flathead and insert it in one of the slots and gently lift until it's gapped enough to get a SAK blade in. Then just run the blade down until it hits the rivet. Gently twist the blade until it pops off. Repeat this with the other two pivots and your good to go. When putting the scales back on another SAK of you cannot get them all the way on just literally place the knife on the ground and stand on it and jump slightly until the scales seat properly.
I'm the milk man!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 06:57:50 AM

He makes upon request... Try TS Custom on FB...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:59:49 AM by jaya_man »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:43 PM

To be honest i've never really agreed much with this "need" to warm up or heat the scales in order to take them off...  :facepalm:
If they are vintage solid scales it may help to soak the knife in lukewarm water but that's it, because they are not as elastic as the newer hollow ones and there for will "give" away less when removing them leading to more material being ripped of from the holes by the bushings.

As we all know the scales on the Cellidor (nylon) models are hold by tight fit pressure of the holes in the scales in the brass bushings by the sharp edged "lip" of the bushing, that literally digs into the cellidor hole sides very tightly and holds the scales in place. When removing a scale, no matter what you do, the edge of the bushing will always remove (rip off) a measure of cellidor (may it be more or less, or even small chips on the solid ones), because it's like digging your knife edge firmly into a bit of soft plastic and then pulling the plastic upwards, it will obviously give a little when it pops out of place but it will always shave some plastic off coming up.

In some cases if it rips a small amount the scale may be reused without the need for glue, it may have an acceptable grip on the scale but it will never hold it as good as when  it was new because some material has been removed.
It may not bother many people, but in my case being a bit of a perfectionist (some may say OCD...  :facepalm:) and hating loose or wobbly scales i always use a very small amount of glue when reusing scales.

I just open the corkscrew or Phillips, take out the toothpick and tweezers. I use a tiny flathead and insert it in one of the slots and gently lift until it's gapped enough to get a SAK blade in. Then just run the blade down until it hits the rivet. Gently twist the blade until it pops off. Repeat this with the other two pivots and your good to go. When putting the scales back on another SAK of you cannot get them all the way on just literally place the knife on the ground and stand on it and jump slightly until the scales seat properly.

Whot...??  :sa: :o

Stand on it and jump on it...? I can't agree on that... If you want a scale to sit properly and perfectly, meaning sit completely flush and strait (no shred of gap visible anywhere) between the scale and the liner you'll need a vice or a clamp, and clamp the scales down on each rivet slowly until it's flush, hold it there for a few minutes (because plastic is elastic and needs a moment to stabilize in place under pressure) and then slowly release pressure, and if there is still any gap repeat the process until it's gone (if possible of course...). Jumping on your Sak is a good way to getting it damaged or breaking a scale IMHO...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:43:28 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:48 PM

As we all know the scales on the Cellidor (nylon) models are hold by tight fit pressure of the holes in the scales in the brass bushings by the sharp edged "lip" of the bushing, that literally digs into the cellidor hole sides very tightly and holds the scales in place. When removing a scale, no matter what you do, the edge of the bushing will always remove (rip off) a measure of cellidor (may it be more or less, or even small chips on the solid ones), because it's like digging your knife edge firmly into a bit of soft plastic and then pulling the plastic upwards, it will obviously give a little when it pops out of place but it will always shave some plastic off coming up.

This is my experience as well. So I don't re-use scales.

And I agree with MacGyver that a clamp or vise is the best way to tighten and seat new scales. Simple and a controlled means of applying even pressure.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:08:34 PM

Live and learn, is my motto. (Image removed from quote.)

I'm getting a lot of hits for TS Customs over at FB, jaya_man. Where is he based again? :)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 04:10:07 PM

And I agree with MacGyver that a clamp or vise is the best way to tighten and seat new scales. Simple and a controlled means of applying even pressure.

Thanks guys. I'm making a mental note and will be referring back to this thread when I get my new stock scales this weekend. I plan to put them on my Tinker. As I don't have a clamp or vise, what are my other options, other than using my hands or feet?  ???

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 04:43:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'm making a mental note and will be referring back to this thread when I get my new stock scales this weekend. I plan to put them on my Tinker. As I don't have a clamp or vise, what are my other options, other than using my hands or feet?  ???

Well, a clamp or vice is best really... You could probably pull it off with some big pliers padded with some cardboard  :think:

But a clamp like this is cheap and easy to get, and there are several sizes .

I have this small vice with a suction base. It's cheap perfect for installing scales :D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:46:53 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 04:47:12 PM

Well, a clamp or vice is best really... You could probably pull it off with some big pliers padded with some cardboard  :think:

I have this small vice with a suction base. It's perfect for installing scales :D

Ah, now you're talking! I seem to have seen that plastic clamp in a local hardware. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:48:15 PM by an0nemus »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:53 PM

Live and learn, is my motto. (Image removed from quote.)

I'm getting a lot of hits for TS Customs over at FB, jaya_man. Where is he based again? :)
Bali based... :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 04:53:55 PM

I have this small vice with a suction base. It's perfect for installing scales :D

Ah, now you're talking! I seem to have seen that plastic clamp in a local hardware. Thanks!

You're welcome  :salute:

I actually use both when ever i change scales, i press front of the scale first catching the first two rivet's till it's flush, then i press the top end rivet, and then i use the clamp just on the middle rivet again because it's usually the one that doesn't really sit flush on the first go. But with the clamp you can just go for one rivet at the time

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:17 AM

To be honest i've never really agreed much with this "need" to warm up or heat the scales in order to take them off...  :facepalm:
If they are vintage solid scales it may help to soak the knife in lukewarm water but that's it, because they are not as elastic as the newer hollow ones and there for will "give" away less when removing them leading to more material being ripped of from the holes by the bushings.

In some cases if it rips a small amount the scale may be reused without the need for glue, it may have an acceptable grip on the scale but it will never hold it as good as when  it was new because some material has been removed.
It may not bother many people, but in my case being a bit of a perfectionist (some may say OCD...  :facepalm:) and hating loose or wobbly scales i always use a very small amount of glue when reusing scales.

Stand on it and jump on it...? I can't agree on that... If you want a scale to sit properly and perfectly, meaning sit completely flush and strait (no shred of gap visible anywhere) between the scale and the liner you'll need a vice or a clamp, and clamp the scales down on each rivet slowly until it's flush, hold it there for a few minutes (because plastic is elastic and needs a moment to stabilize in place under pressure) and then slowly release pressure, and if there is still any gap repeat the process until it's gone (if possible of course...). Jumping on your Sak is a good way to getting it damaged or breaking a scale IMHO...

Of course using a vice is preffered but for those who do not have one (myself) standing on it is a option that cost you nothing. When I say jump I don't mean jumping up in the air and slamming your foot down on the knife I just mean slightly jumping and barely if any lifting your foot. It's just to give a bit of a nudge of pressure to seat the scales. I have been doing this for years and never even came close to breaking or even cracking a scale. They are very durable. I would never even second guess doing this. Again, just my experience on this.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:22 AM

Of course using a vice is preffered but for those who do not have one (myself) standing on it is a option that cost you nothing. When I say jump I don't mean jumping up in the air and slamming your foot down on the knife I just mean slightly jumping and barely if any lifting your foot. It's just to give a bit of a nudge of pressure to seat the scales. I have been doing this for years and never even came close to breaking or even cracking a scale. They are very durable. I would never even second guess doing this. Again, just my experience on this.
In the interest of science, I'll try putting back back the scales from my Tinker to the Super Tinker by using my foot. I've tried pressing down with my hands, but don't have the strength to push them all the way flat

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:57 AM
 :facepalm:

Hmmmm....maybe place the knife between two books to evenly distribute your weight before stepping on it.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 03:49:56 AM
:facepalm:

Hmmmm....maybe place the knife between two books to evenly distribute your weight before stepping on it.
Good suggestion. The scales are not brand new and are battle worn already so they're not totally flat. This is the result so far after applying 220 pounds of pressure (totally unscientific as this is just my weight hehe) on the scales lying on a rug.

Will try the books now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD