Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16190

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #270 on: October 27, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
the loss of my Executive was painful, and it was the only 74mm I got a double of, now  holding it close and enjoying it like it was the last (it is now!)

(Image removed from quote.)

the scissors are broken but even then it is a joy to carry and use  :salute:

If you send it in, won't Vic repiar/replace it?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline getahl

Reply #271 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:32 PM
Challenge almost done,  and I've been doing fine with just the Exec. I like it as a pen knife. The peeler blade got used once, and it wasn't to cut anything.  It was to remove a staple from a couple sheets of paper at work. I also dig the point at the end of the file. Makes for a great scraper.

I like the option of two blades, which isn't a big deal on a knife of this size, but it's nice to have. However, all the extra metal makes it a bit heavy for key chain carry, anf i don't like the extra thickness over the Ambassador.  Truth be told, I'll probably switch to the Ambassador when the challenge is complete, to see how I like it.

I might also trot out my old PTC. It has a couple drivers that are sorely lacking from the Exec. To date, I still don't like the peeler as a driver, and the file tip always seemed flimsy for that role. Plus, the blade flips out away from the key ring, and there's a dedicated poker, which is nice.

In summation, I like the Exec for what it is, although some variation would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #272 on: October 28, 2017, 08:39:47 PM
the loss of my Executive was painful, and it was the only 74mm I got a double of, now  holding it close and enjoying it like it was the last (it is now!)

(Image removed from quote.)

the scissors are broken but even then it is a joy to carry and use  :salute:

If you send it in, won't Vic repiar/replace it?

they would, but at a cost.
I've always had to pay $ to send the Victorinox in for repairs, and then they wanted me to pay some more in addition to the shipping fees. That is too much for a $20 SAK

Plus, then I'd be without it to carry!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #273 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:00 PM
the Alox Cigar Cutter is the best of the 74mm stuff but it's a bit pricey

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #274 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:47 PM
What about the Ambassador?   :pok: 

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #275 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:47 PM
I once carried the Executive in my change pocket for 5 years straight. It was a Father's Day present from my wife and daughter. It was an awesome knife. For me, it was all about the nail file. I've never found another nail file on a SAK that came close to being as perfect as the one on the Executive. The scissors were larger and easier for me to use than on my Classic. I'll always take two blades over one.

The orange peeler? I always wished it was something different, like a combo tool.

I eventually lost my beloved Executive. I did replace it, but it just wasn't the same.  :(
--
'Buzz

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #276 on: July 11, 2019, 02:36:36 PM
Good story, Buzz.  :like:

It's funny, I want to like the Ambassador more. On paper it's the more sensible knife (in my mind). But, truth be told, I kinda prefer the Executive. Maybe it's the ergo. Or the extra blades to fiddle with.  :dunno:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #277 on: July 11, 2019, 04:47:47 PM
So over the past two years your mind has changed.
With me it´s the other way around.
I now prefer the Ambassador over the Executive.  :think:
But then again I prefer the MiniChamp¨over both.   8)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #278 on: July 11, 2019, 04:49:55 PM
So over the past two years your mind has changed.
With me it´s the other way around.
I now prefer the Ambassador over the Executive.  :think:
But then again I prefer the MiniChamp¨over both.   8)

That's excellent, Ron.   Hmmmm......makes me think an Ambassador challenge might be a fun idea.......  :think:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #279 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:25 PM
I used to not get the executive as well. To me, it was a weird no mans land of bing too big for a keychain unlike the 58mm,  and it was also more than twice the expense of the humble classic that basically did what the executive does. I just didn't get it.

I was wrong.

After Nix soooo generously gifted me the executive, and I carried it as my sole EDC in a total immersion of it, I saw the light. Yes, its twice the cost of a classic, yes it's a little too big for a keyring.

BUT...

It has so much more capability than the classic in real world use. The longer blade lets me cut my better half's burger in half, the larger handle gives better control when slicing, the scissors are larger and more capable. And then theres the nail file. Oh the nail file, how do I love thee. Its a real cut nail file and the tip is a great Phillips driver for those very small Phillips screws in electronics and other things. The small flathead on the orange peeler fits adjustable gun sights great.

But there is the orange peeler. The only point I feel that could be changed. A small combo tool, a small awl, or a fully serrated blade liken the Victorinox bakers/twine knife. That would be very cool and I'd buy two immediately. Oh well, maybe I'll end up with a winning loot ticket too.

But for now, I who used to not get the executive, now carry one as my EDC since last July.  I love it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:04:38 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #280 on: July 11, 2019, 05:20:48 PM

It has so much more capability than the classic in real world use. The longer blade lets me cut my better half burger in half, the larger handle gives better control when slicing, the scissors are larger and more capable. And then theres the nail file. Oh the nail file, how do I love thee. Its a real cut nail file and the tip is a great Phillips driver for those very small Phillips screws in electronics and other things. The small flathead on the orange peeler fits adjustable gun sights great.

But there is the orange peeler. The only point I feel that could be changed. A small combo tool, a small awl, or a fully serrated blade liken the Victorinox bakers/twine knife. That would be very cool and I'd buy two immediately. Oh well, maybe I'll end up with a winning loot ticket too.

But for now, I who used toot get the executive, now carry one as my EDC since last July.  I love it.

I agree, Carl. In some ways it is a small increase in size compared to the Classic (which I still love), but a huge performance in capability.

(And I have two (2)  ;) :D)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #281 on: July 11, 2019, 06:27:41 PM
I had to hold one to understand it.

I have an Executive now and I realized I have been missing out.

It's my Alumnus with less heft, and expendable should it go wrong somewhere.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #282 on: July 11, 2019, 07:08:00 PM
It's...expendable ....

:o

(Mods, is that a grave enough offense to have his Swiss Knight banner stripped away....?)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #283 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:05 PM
:twak:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #284 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:00 PM

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #285 on: July 11, 2019, 10:21:09 PM
If the Executive had the combo tool from the PTC or the Minichamp, I'd carry it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #286 on: July 12, 2019, 12:35:27 PM
I like the Executive except for the orange peeler that could be something else instead. That's why I love the Cigar Knife. I use the Cigar Punch. What is it ? An Ambassador with a cigar punch or Executive without small blade and orange peeler replaced with cigar punch. What ever it is, it was over priced and should have had a no more than $60 MSRP on it. Oh well glad I got one to punch my cigars with. Better than the Money Clip that is nothing but a giant hot spot to cut with. Great knife just get rid of that awful clip on it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #287 on: July 12, 2019, 02:05:49 PM
I, too, have never been a big fan of the money clip. It's an interesting idea, but since I'm more likely to be be carrying 1-3 knives than I am any money, I don't really need a knife in my clip.  :dunno:

Lesson here boys and girls: if you don't spend your money on knives, you'll have a practical need for a money clip, maybe one with a built-in knife.....  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%