Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16191

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #90 on: September 03, 2017, 12:42:58 AM

So what about the Ambassador? It's like a Classic, but 27% better.  :D  :pok:

This is what confounds me. People seem to fall into either the Executive camp or the Classic camp, with most people going Classic. The Ambassador would seem to strike a near perfect balance for those who value a slightly larger knife blade, but still enjoy the slim simplicity of the Classic. Yet the Ambassador rarely gets a mention. Why?

For me the Classic is a great pairing knife, but not a great paring knife. So I typically match it up with an Alox 84mm or 93mm knife carry. The Ambassador (and presumably the chunky Executive) do seem to be adequate for most EDC uses. Or, in the hands of a fighter pilot, E&E or long distance trekking.

The "why" for me is lack of an SD tip on the file.  If it had the SD tip I'd prefer it to the Classic.  I know I could modify the tip but I'm not going to buy a tool and then have to modify it to make it what it should have been to begin with.

If you're referring to Chuck Yeager, in the article The Knife I Carry he says he uses his Executive for fingernail maintenance and picking his teeth.   :facepalm:
What does he use for prepping fish and other out door stuff?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #91 on: September 03, 2017, 12:49:43 AM
Sorry, double post.   :twak:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:53:05 AM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #92 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:11 AM

What does he use for prepping fish and other out door stuff?  :think:

I don't know.  In the article he only mentions using it for fingernail maintenance and picking his teeth.  IIRC, he concludes by saying "That's about it."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:17:47 AM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:48 AM

This is what confounds me. People seem to fall into either the Executive camp or the Classic camp, with most people going Classic. The Ambassador would seem to strike a near perfect balance for those who value a slightly larger knife blade, but still enjoy the slim simplicity of the Classic. Yet the Ambassador rarely gets a mention. Why?

For me the Classic is a great pairing knife, but not a great paring knife. So I typically match it up with an Alox 84mm or 93mm knife carry. The Ambassador (and presumably the chunky Executive) do seem to be adequate for most EDC uses. Or, in the hands of a fighter pilot, E&E or long distance trekking.

The "why" for me is lack of an SD tip on the file.  If it had the SD tip I'd prefer it to the Classic.  I know I could modify the tip but I'm not going to buy a tool and then have to modify it to make it what it should have been to begin with.

If you're referring to Chuck Yeager, in the article The Knife I Carry he says he uses his Executive for fingernail maintenance and picking his teeth.   :facepalm:  Not sure why being well-manicured would be terribly important on a backpacking trip but there it is.   :D
The SD tip is on the orange peeler. I just used it today to open a battery compartment for kids toys...only downside to it is it's on the orange peeler. So be careful to not let it fall...
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: September 03, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
What does [living legend, Chuck Yeager] use for prepping fish and other out door stuff?  :think:

I didn't read the article, but I'm guessing Chuck was referring to his EDC use. As a fly fishing enthusiast, I can attest to the usefulness of a Classic (and presumably the chunky Executive) in trimming knots, cutting line, and trimming flies on the water. I keep a dedicated pair of clamp/scissors on my vest, but for fiddly work like trimming the wing off a fly or nipping the tag end of a knot, the Vic scissors are much better.

I suppose Chuck cold have cooked his fish whole, but I'm guessing more than one got cleaned with that mighty 74.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: September 03, 2017, 02:07:06 AM

-Accessibility, you can find a classic anywhere. The Ambassador is hard to find outside of eBay, which alot of people still don't like to use.

-The Executive is more accessible than the Ambassador. And for about the same price you get more bang for your buck.

Great post, Demel. thanks.

I wanted to address the above points you made. I think the availability issues are due to demand and cost. Everyone can (and should) have a Classic and they get purchased like mad. So Vic is going to keep pumping them out in lots of eye catching flavors. I probably have 4 or 5 myself.

I think if more people bought the Ambassador, Vic would make more and make 'em in more colors.

As far as redundancy goes, I have more knives than I can wear out in a lifetime. But if I'm out in the woods or on the road, the only redundancy I have is due to what is in my pocket.

If I owned an Executive, I'm sure I'd carry it and not worry about the redundancy of cutting blades. But I don't see the Exec as having more "bang for buck". More blades means more weight and bulk.  For some people (think AT through hikers) that would mean less efficiency and less "bang for buck".  To me it's just a poor design for what is meant to be a simple and easy to carry knife. Like the Ambassador.

I've loved this discussion, and yet still don't have a good sense for why the Exec is the way it is. But that keeps life interesting if yer a knife geek like me.   :cheers:

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #96 on: September 03, 2017, 02:13:34 AM

If you're referring to Chuck Yeager, in the article The Knife I Carry he says he uses his Executive for fingernail maintenance and picking his teeth.   :facepalm:  Not sure why being well-manicured would be terribly important on a backpacking trip but there it is.   :D
The SD tip is on the orange peeler. I just used it today to open a battery compartment for kids toys...only downside to it is it's on the orange peeler. So be careful to not let it fall...

The question of "why" was posed in reference to the Ambassador.  The Ambassador has no SD.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:24 AM
I decided to carry my Executive today with my Supertool as a combo :D No scissors on the Supertool so this is the best choice for me to get the scissors :like:

0902171500b by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #98 on: September 03, 2017, 02:38:15 AM
For those who would like an Executive but think they cost too much there is a very good online deal on them right now.   :tu:

(Mods: Hopefully by being non-specific this doesn't violate any prohibition on "deal spotting."  If it does, please just remove.)

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #99 on: September 03, 2017, 03:52:49 AM
For those who would like an Executive but think they cost too much there is a very good online deal on them right now.   :tu:

(Mods: Hopefully by being non-specific this doesn't violate any prohibition on "deal spotting."  If it does, please just remove.)
Link?

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 03:57:07 AM

Link?

Not sure that's permitted without violating forum rules.  Try Google first.

If providing a link is OK, I'll be glad to do so.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #101 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:28 AM

Link?

I don't think anyone cares. And if they do, rules are made to be broken!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: September 03, 2017, 04:02:49 AM
Deals are fine to post :salute: we even have a deals and sales subforum towards the bottom :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: September 03, 2017, 04:04:22 AM

Link?

I don't think anyone cares. And if they do, rules are made to be broken!

Don't go breaking to many around here :pok:

:D

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #104 on: September 03, 2017, 04:05:00 AM
Great post, Demel. thanks.

I wanted to address the above points you made. I think the availability issues are due to demand and cost. Everyone can (and should) have a Classic and they get purchased like mad. So Vic is going to keep pumping them out in lots of eye catching flavors. I probably have 4 or 5 myself.

I think if more people bought the Ambassador, Vic would make more and make 'em in more colors.

As far as redundancy goes, I have more knives than I can wear out in a lifetime. But if I'm out in the woods or on the road, the only redundancy I have is due to what is in my pocket.

If I owned an Executive, I'm sure I'd carry it and not worry about the redundancy of cutting blades. But I don't see the Exec as having more "bang for buck". More blades means more weight and bulk.  For some people (think AT through hikers) that would mean less efficiency and less "bang for buck".  To me it's just a poor design for what is meant to be a simple and easy to carry knife. Like the Ambassador.

I've loved this discussion, and yet still don't have a good sense for why the Exec is the way it is. But that keeps life interesting if yer a knife geek like me.   :cheers:

Nix, you might be reading more into it's function than intended. I know this is nitpicking but for the sake of arguing,
From Victorinox web site, the Executive description reads:

Small Pocket Knife with Nail File

Built for the challenges of office life, the Executive pocket knife is the personal assistant you didn’t know you needed. With 10 different high-quality functions, you can tackle an endless amount of tasks around the workplace. From opening letters to keeping your keys together, and trimming loose threads to using the toothpick for big shining smiles, you’re ready for anything the day sends your way.

Note the "office life", "opening letters", "personal assistant"
This makes me believe I am using my executive in the manner intended, as a desk drawer knife, or letter  opener meant to be used around the office, not necessarily as an edc.

Now, if we read the description for the Ambassador, with the AT through hikers in mind ...

Small Pocket Knife with 7 Functions

It's a 74 millimeter knife that goes the distance. The Ambassador pocket knife is a slim and elegant companion with seven functions that are always at your service. Whether you're on the job at your desk or out and about, you can always count on the Ambassador to help you get the job done.

It's almost like Victorinox was reading your mind regarding the AT through hiker. "goes the distance", "slim and elegant companion" (read lightweight carry), "on the job at desk OR out and about".

Reading these descriptions, I have to disagree with your assessment that "To me it's just a poor design for what is meant to be a simple and easy to carry knife. Like the Ambassador."

The executive wasn't designed to be a simple and easy to carry knife, it's designed as an office companion. As you state, yes, the Ambassador is more designed for out and about where weight might matter...
That's my two cents :)

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #105 on: September 03, 2017, 04:46:23 AM
Deals are fine to post :salute: we even have a deals and sales subforum towards the bottom :tu:

OK, here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-53401-3-Inch-Executive-Knife/dp/B00004YVBB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504406604&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+executive

$22.71 and free shipping if you get your order over $25.  Best price I've ever seen on an Executive.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #106 on: September 03, 2017, 04:52:35 AM
That's my two cents :)

And high quality pennies they were.  :tu:  :like:

Seen in that light--a desk knife--the Executive makes more sense. I'm not totally satisfied or suddenly feel the urge to get one, but I like your line of reasoning.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:54:57 AM by Nix »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #107 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:24 AM

OK, here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-53401-3-Inch-Executive-Knife/dp/B00004YVBB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504406604&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+executive

$22.71 and free shipping if you get your order over $25.  Best price I've ever seen on an Executive.   :tu:
Well smurf that's tempting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:02:47 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #108 on: September 03, 2017, 06:47:33 AM
I just used the end of the nail file on my Executive to unravel a paranoid lanyard. It worked great for that.

Very cool. I would have ended up spending the big bucks to send it to a psychiatrist.  :pok:

(Or used a corkscrew!)
You are cruel. I would not have tried the corkscrew, imagine badly screwed the poor paracord would have been afterwards.  :twak:
Wow. I have no words. I have no Swiping skills either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 10:50:50 AM
I just used the end of the nail file on my Executive to unravel a paranoid lanyard. It worked great for that.

Very cool. I would have ended up spending the big bucks to send it to a psychiatrist.  :pok:

(Or used a corkscrew!)
You are cruel. I would not have tried the corkscrew, imagine badly screwed the poor paracord would have been afterwards.  :twak:
Wow. I have no words. I have no Swiping skills either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Well, you ain't gonna swipe my toys!  :twak:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #110 on: September 03, 2017, 07:50:30 PM
Really.

I just don't understand it. I love my Classics, my Ramblers, and my Ambassador. I like smaller SAKs. But the Executive makes no sense to me. Every time I look at one I have an initial moment of excitement that starts to fade into confusion.  :think:
I'm with you! Those tools are bits of metal bent into unfamiliar shapes, and it challenges me greatly to understand how some of those could be used practically and/or why I can't use a more familiar tool to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fi Offline Padre

Reply #111 on: September 04, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
I dont get it either, for me its just Ambassador with bulk.

But its strange in a good way.
:)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #112 on: September 04, 2017, 01:23:38 PM
I guess I don't understand the continued put down of the Executive vs all the praises of the Ambassador.

If someone wants two blades in the smallest package possible, the Executive is the answer.  If someone wants the versatility of the peeler (screwdriver, pryer, clam shell cutter), then once again, the Executive is the smart choice.

The Ambassador is nothing more than a longer Classic.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #113 on: September 04, 2017, 01:40:09 PM
Have you guys checked out Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Can never forget that second layer on the pyramid...

Or the third, for that matter...

:whistle:
maslow-2.jpg
* maslow-2.jpg (Filesize: 69.16 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #114 on: September 04, 2017, 07:31:11 PM
Have you guys checked out Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Can never forget that second layer on the pyramid...

Or the third, for that matter...

:whistle:

Bravo, sir, bravo :pok: :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #115 on: September 04, 2017, 08:49:31 PM
 :clap:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #116 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:54 AM
All this is besides the point, anyways...

MacGyver used one to defuse a BOMB, what more reason do you need?

:pok:

:angel:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #117 on: September 05, 2017, 03:02:00 AM

If we let MacGyver choose our SAK's, we'd all carry a Tinker....or a Camper....or a Spartan.....and a Recruit. Did the executive feature in more than one or two episodes?

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #118 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:37 AM

If we let MacGyver choose our SAK's, we'd all carry a Tinker....or a Camper....or a Spartan.....and a Recruit. Did the executive feature in more than one or two episodes?

Who cares?

I can carry a Swisschamp easy, non-problem solved  :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #119 on: September 05, 2017, 03:21:29 AM

Yeah, he carried a lot of different SAKs, but the executive was the one that diffused the bomb.

Holy smurf I just realized how much MacGyver was one of us! He could never stick with the same SAK in his pocket either!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:22:45 AM by GoatDragon »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD